Ben's stuff

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by Ben Rubinstein, Jan 29, 2016.

1. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

What is parking like in Jerusalem?

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Passover ?? Is that the hebrew easter holiday ??

3. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

It commemorates the Exodus from Egypt.

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  4. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Non existent but I'll have a disabled badge which will be a great help.

What he said. :)

Nekolf, A4VC and mctacticool like this.
  5. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Ben, can you school me on the Hebrew calander?

Nekolf likes this.
  6. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Yikes! Well I can give you the traditional Jewish idea of the calendar which is approximately 3500 years old. I can't talk for various splinter or reformed movements or their changes.

The calendar is a lunar calendar rather than a solar calendar which the Roman (current system) is based on. The Jewish calendar makes heavy use of leap years where an entire month is added. There are 7 leap years every 19 years. This is to ensure that the Passover festival always remains in the spring.

There are 12 months in the year. Although the count of the months begins in the spring, the yearly count starts in the 7 month. We are currently in the year 5777, counted from the creation of the world (ish, the 7 days of creation did not follow calendar years - discussion for another time :) )

The calendar system has been in use since the exodus from Egypt and some 2000 years ago the Elders of the time gave a coded mathematical system by which every date, festival and month until the year 6000 would be calculated. There were no errors in their calculations even by modern computational reckoning. I was taught how to use the system in school when 13 years old and we had to plan an entire years calendar and how it coincided with the solar calendar based only on a 3 letter code - for our end of year project. I've long since forgotten how to do it, no real need when there are calendars around :D My teacher who was a maths genius once worked out what time the Sabbath would end based on the code system and the precise time given for the beginning of the world. In his head. He said he was within 3 minutes of the correct time. I can barely add 3+4 so that's rather above my mental abilities. :D

The calendar is religious entirely in basis. Without the calendar, practice of the religion would be almost impossible. This is the reason it was targeted by the Greeks and Romans when they controlled Israel, they knew that if the calendar was suppressed, the religion would fall. They didn't succeed but it has never been forgotten. The fear of what might have been. There are some modern secular Israeli dates which are based on the Jewish Calendar but they have little significance outside their own political connections. They are not considered to be religious by the majority.

The months have various names, biblical names, later Talmudical era names (used currently) and various nicknames. The current, first month is called Nissan but biblically was referred to as the 'first month' and the 'month of spring'. They are both used as nicknames in texts.

The 1st Month - Fast of the Firstborn on the 14th, Passover Festival from the 15th through to the 22nd. A month of rejoicing and fresh hope.
    The 2nd Month - A general month of mourning during which music is not heard, weddings don't happen, etc. Somewhat complex reason for this. This culminates with the Holiday of Lag Beomer about 2/3 of the way in. This is in celebration of the founder of modern day Kabbalism (circa 100ce) and the collator of the Zohar from which it stems. There is also the '2nd Passover Festival', a day when in the time of the Temple those who had been unable to bring the Pachal Lamb the first time could do so now. Without the Temple it doesn't have much significance today.
    The 3rd Month - The Shavuot Festival. This festival celebrated the giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai to the Jewish people. We live by and study its precepts every day even now. It was also the festival of the culmination of the harvest and thanks given for its success.
    The 4th Month - Half way through this month we start the process of mourning for the loss of both Temples and the subsequent exiles. For all that we are present in the Land of Israel currently, any student of current affairs and politics will readily understand that we do not believe we have achieved a true end to the latter Roman exile. No weddings, shaving or music. I should note that the timing of the mourning is based on the dates significant to these happenings, they are not random.
    The 5th Month - The mourning intensifies culminating in the ultimate day of mourning, the Tisha B'av commemoration. The date when both Temples and Exiles happened incidentally also the Spanish Expulsion (leading to Europe wide expulsions) and the date when WWI (leading to WWII) started. All signs of full mourning for the dead are observed, no business is conducted and the day is filled with remembrance for the pain and death of our exiles, including that of pogroms and the holocaust. The mourning ends half way through the 10th day of the months and life returns to normal.
    The 6th Month - A month of repentance and preparation for the first day of the next month. The first day of the religious year, the annual crowning of G-d over ourselves as King and the Day of Judgement. A time to go back over past deeds, fix that which might need repair with interpersonal relations and general prayer.
    The 7th Month - The Day of Judgement, a time of intense prayer but also a festival. This is followed by 10 days of further repentance and then the awe filled Yom Kippur day of fasting, constant prayer and begging for forgiveness from G-d. 5 days later is the Sukkot Festival, a general rejoicing of 8 days over our clean souls. Jews leave their homes and live in huts for a week to show their trust in the protection of G-d. The last day of Sukkot is a new Festival called Simchat Torah, the celebration of a complete cycle of weekly readings from the Torah. Celebrated with dancing in the Synagogues with the Torah scrolls and huge amounts of candy for the kids.
    The 8th Month - Nothing at all. It has a nickname of 'The Bitter Month' for its lack of specific religious content.
    The 9th Month - Chanuka. A celebration of the miracles which allowed our religion to survive a concerted attempt to wipe it out by forcing the integration of the people into Greek ideals and beliefs. 8 nights of lighting candles, loads of doughnuts and other oily food. :)
    The 10th Month - A fast day to mourn several terrible historical events which occurred on that day.
    The 11th Month - The 15th day is a celebration of the renewal of the cycle of the fruit trees. Lots of fruit eaten.
    The 12th Month - Purim. A festival of food, drink, present and happiness to celebrate the defeat of the Persian Haman's plan to eliminate the Jewish people totally.

I've missed out some minor stuff and non religious people probably don't know about a lot of this stuff but the above is the calendar as it has been practised for some thousands of years, long before most of the current worldwide practices and predating a whole lot of pagan ones accessible by archaeology. It is still practised as shown above by millions today.

As you can see it's a lot of Festival eating and rejoicing or mourning. Hey it's rather like the circle of life. :D

I've got to run :D

Lou_G, Nekolf, Kerberos and 5 others like this.
  7. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

@Ben Rubinstein Thanks for the lesson! I had no idea the significance of the calendar to the religion or that the Romans and Greeks tried to repress it. Most folks don't realize the Spanish Expulsion (Inquisition I assume) was an attempt to get rid of the Jewish Faith and a mass redistribution of wealth in Spain and Europe. I've read a bit about how many went underground (literally) to keep the faith alive for those who were able to hide.

Thank you so much for spending the time to share!

8. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Glad to help! :)

9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Tommorrow is tuesday, best of luck with finding time to go check out new cars...

Ben Rubinstein, Nekolf, A4VC and 2 others like this.
  10. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Today is today :) I went with the family for a real world 'do we all fit in' test. I put the driver seat in my position then my wife and two of my kids (6&11) sat in the back.

Hyundai i10 (cheapest) - We fit in, bit of a squish but car is 6000 euro less than the rest.
    Hyundai i25 (expensive) - loads of room, bit of a cheapy feel, they can't give me a test drive, WTF?
    Mazda 2 - less room than the i10 and uncomfortable with it.
    Ford Fiesta - None in the country, new model coming in two months so they've cleared stock. Not buying a model before it's had months to be tested and reviewed.
    Citroen C3 - Nice but no room for legs in the back and they just put the price up since I was in there a week and a half ago. Like buying a Citroen isn't penance enough here where there is zero 2nd hand market.
    Skoda Fabia - Really nice car, honestly the best but no room in the back, mainly due to a raised floor in the centre of the rear which makes sitting in the middle position even for my tiny 6 year old really difficult.
    Honda Jazz - Loads of room everywhere. Most comfortable also.

I'm going to be test driving the i10 and the Jazz this week hopefully.

Lou_G, BigKurtHaze, QuodErat and 2 others like this.
  11. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Sounds like you've had quite a day...

Mazda 2: i agree, it just feels wrong...

Citroen C3: the one we have as a patrol car is a 2 seater van-conversion so couldn't speak about passenger room...

Have you looked at Seat Ibiza ?? That should be the same platform as the Skoda...

QuodErat, Nekolf and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  12. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

It's too much.

#772 Ben Rubinstein, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    QuodErat and Nekolf like this.
  13. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That sucks...

QuodErat, Nekolf and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  14. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

One thing that is so nice with an Alox SAK. When you're done using it, even after significant food use, you just rinse off under soapy water, cursory attempt at drying on a tissue and back into the pouch. None of my other traditionals could be treated like that. The D2 steel required drying, the wood handles needed drying, etc. You couldn't just rinse off the whole thing under soapy water. An EDC knife should require the minimum amount of mental effort. It's a tool, it shouldn't require careful attention just to get the job done. Of course if I had a stainless traditional with smooth bone handles perhaps I would have already achieved that goal. Haven't gotten there yet though. My next and possibly last slipjoint for a long while will have (horror of horrors) a carbon fibre handle.

S_Serpent, Lou_G, QuodErat and 5 others like this.
  15. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

The stainless Case slipjoint folders are fairly carefree. I've never had a problem with just rinse and go. The stainless alloy is harder to put a good edge on though, compared to the Chome Vanadium. With the CV, it definitely has to be dry, but I still prefer it because it is easier to keep a good edge on it. I have a good collection of Japanese water stones, and know how to put a very sharp edge on a blade, but I cannot be bothered with all that for an EDC user. I just use a little pocket-size stone and strop and get it close to sharp so it slices hanging paper with no snags, then good enough.

For my folding knives, I drop them in an ultrasonic cleaner every once in a while. It really clears out all the pocket grunge inside the joints and between the springs. I just have one of those cheap little ultrasonic cleaners that is good for jewlery, eyeglasses, instrument mouthpieces, and pocket knives.

If I'm doing a few knives, I'll blow dry with an air compressor, then I polish with Simichrome (on the steel only), lubricate the joints with an oil or dry film lubricant, and I wax them with Renaissance Wax (a microcrystalline wax, as opposed to carnauba, beeswax or paraffin).

#775 colab, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  16. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Yeah a stainless blade is usually fine. I find the D2 which is 'somewhat stainless' does not like water being left on it at all.

Nekolf likes this.
  17. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Today's report from test driving the Jazz. Really nice car to drive, nice and responsive and a surprisingly good stereo. The multimedia screen is also very good quality in comparison to many. It did have zero power though. It has a triptronic gear box which is just so silly in an under powered 1.3 litre car. You go down a gear and it makes more noise but does nothing whatsoever :D. Doesn't bother me too much though, it's for city driving in a city known for its traffic jams. Car was comfortable over bumps but only just, quite hard sprung.

#777 Ben Rubinstein, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  18. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

It looks like what is named the Honda Fit over here. They seem to be pretty good for the price. Do you think it will work for your needs?

19. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Yeah it's the Fit, tiny thing but with loads of room inside. It's expensive here, equivalent to $27500 (!), but it's the best comfort wise for the family in the price range.

20. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I'll bet its better than mk1 golf my family used to have... 2 adults, Myself aged 16-17, my brother aged 11-12 ish and my sister aged 0-1, that was a cramped car when packed with luggage and babycarrier...

Nekolf and Ben Rubinstein like this.