Campfire, camp stove, camp cooking, camp cookwarez

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor EDC' started by Mcrb, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Mcrb

Mcrb
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I have been looking for a camp stove for a while, primary for use in emergency situations, and secondary as an alternative option for my BBQ, for summer outdoor cooking.
    I spotted the "Solo Stove Campfire" before. It's the largest of 3 sizes of Solo Stove using wood as fuel source, and really liked its features and size. Specifically for use as a campfire on my terrace. I bit the bullet today, and ordered one. :)
    Next up will be some specific camp cookware for it, as I doubt my SWMBO would let me use her cooking pots on an open fire. As I am not focusing on ultralight camping gear (I prefer a hotel) I am leaning towards the old fashion cast iron stuff. However, I'm not entirely convinced on it.
    Hence my question: What do you guys and gals use for camp cooking? Should I go for the cast iron stuff?

S_Serpent, Antithetik and kertap75 like this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I just looked that stove up and it looks nice, but that price! I've been planning to make myself a rocket stove for a while now, I think I might try it soon because I want something similar to this but I don't want to pay that much

Antithetik and Mcrb like this.
  3. Mcrb

Mcrb
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

There's some vids on youtube from guys that are making their own. I unfortunately do not have any of the tools or the space needed to build one myself. Initially I was looking at some high end MSR combo systems. I think that with the cost of this one + a good pot I will still be cheaper off. And I don't have to buy gas canisters. I'm not saying it was cheap, but lately I tend to buy stuff that I expect to last my lifetime.
    Considering that, a cast iron pot would fit my requirements.

Antithetik and kertap75 like this.
  4. batteur

batteur
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I use a Zebra billy can; they come in a few sizes, I think I have the two person one.

5. Mcrb

Mcrb
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Thanks for the tip @batteur . I checked those out, they look like a great solution.
    I even found a video with how to use them as an oven and bake a muffin :)

ManVsLawn and Antithetik like this.
  6. Mcrb

Mcrb
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

My Campfire arrived. I still need to get a pot and a kettle. :)
    [​IMG]

stbob, S_Serpent, ManVsLawn and 3 others like this.
  7. Jack

Jack
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Go with a zebra billy can, heavy but built like a tank.

ManVsLawn and Mcrb like this.
  8. stbob

stbob
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Currently using the MSR WhisperLight. This model uses white gas for fuel...
    [​IMG]

The WhisperLight came with its own wind screen but not as fancy as this Coghlan's Windscreen...
    [​IMG]

I mostly only boil water for freeze dried food & coffee. But have dabbled at cooking other easy stuff. Always use lightweight cooking gear, aluminum or titanium. I'd rather risk burning my food before i start hauling around cast iron...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The MSR WhisperLight gets the job done but i still miss my old Coleman Peak1 Xtreme that used Coleman Powermax fuel canisters...
    (Will edit in some pics of the Coleman stove asap.)

9. kye4some

kye4some
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I have the Solo and like it for what it is, just time consuming refueling it every few minutes. The Jetboil is a great setup for my needs from coffee first thing in the morning to food prep It’s my used the most ultra light stove. As far as cookware the Jetboil FluxRing 8” frypan is the best performer I’ve used. Distributes the heat very well and cooks even around $30 US .If your using an open fire nothing beats the old tried and true cast iron though IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk