Cell phone, do you really need one?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Frankenstein, Mar 1, 2017.

1. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I think EDC items should be a reflection of my personal character and taste. Like clothes, however, they also fulfill a practical role and as such need to be practical. I have very few of either that are exclusively bespoke. Although I have kept a cellular phone as an EDC item for over 20 years (and before that had pagers), I would now gladly rid myself of it. To suit my character and taste better, I would carry a miniature CW QRP rig. As a concession to practicality, I will settle for a FM 2m HT. I'm on the verge of the decision to park the celluar. XYL already has her ticket, and everyone else can go to voicemail.

I'm hardly a luddite, and I do find GPS, maps, and Trip Advisor helpful when traveling for example. I even concede to use apps like Facebook that I abhor, because I can follow people with whom I have a very slight relationship, that I would otherwise have no means, like the people who own my dog's littermates. But I don't need that in my pocket everyday. I can do amazing things with technology, but sometimes choosing not to is a matter of taste.

2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Simply put, yes i need one...

Its my calendar, notebook, entertainment, most of my computer, main camera, gps, social media and communication device... Can it be a 'stand-alone' system...??

No i really don't think so, there are still plenty of places where i can be without cell coverage...

Frankenstein and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  3. Revs

Revs
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I turned off the landline years ago so my cell is my only way to communicate with family. Yes, I am on social media for the same reason, communicate with family. Sometimes a quick post will get attention faster than a call. I use my phone daily for work and home. Would love to not have to carry it with me, except I do work with dangerous machinery on occasion and would hate to have a crew member get hurt with no way to call emergency services.

The multi use capabilities of modern smartphones make them great EDC gear, but only if you use said capabilities. Music player, eBook Reader, Web Browser, etc. if you don't use the features, then why keep it? Get a pager if someone needs to get a hold of you. I think they still make pagers....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frankenstein and mctacticool like this.
  4. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

A smartphone today really is an incredible minimalist solution. Phone, computer, internet, entertainment, notebook, music, flashlight, maps, books, information, GPS, compass, etc, etc all in a tiny package and these days with good battery life.

I'm a luddite myself however. I had an iphone for 6 months and then gave it away to a friend. This is my current phone. Old school Nokia. I recently broke the screen. I know it's surprising given it's a Nokia but I may have slightly hurled the phone across the room onto a stone floor, it was either that or beating the boss to death :rolleyes:. $4 and I had a new screen in the phone, installed in about two minutes. The batteries cost a few bucks and last for days. Really quick to polish scratches out of the screen using regular acrylic polish. I don't want apps, I don't want people to get in contact with me more easily than sending a text of actually calling me and I do not want to be tied to my email 24/7. Oh and I have a compass, a flashlight, a notebook and pen, etc. I'm pretty old fashioned in taste. :D I do need a phone though. I text my wife right through the day, call my daughter and use text and phone for work all the time. I get free international calls so I use it to keep in touch with my family in the UK/USA.

[​IMG]

#44 Ben Rubinstein, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Frankenstein and mctacticool like this.
  5. tommy2h

tommy2h
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

So Frankenstein, are you going to keep your cell phones, or get rid of them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankenstein and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  6. Frankenstein

Frankenstein
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

We are still undecided but likely we will dump them as soon as our youngest gets out of college or gets a job to be able to get one for himself. The only other factor involved is my time on the water. My wife doesn't like me being out there without one and marine band radio is sketchy in the basin and marshes the cell phone is actually more reliable in those areas. I just hate a phone in general if I leave the house and I'm not going in the boat or to work I leave my phone behind.

7. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

If your need is for emergency communications, I think the satellite stuff works better than cellular or most handheld and mobile (vhf/uhf) radios. I wish the iridium phones had a "as-needed" type of plan, but alas the phones are expensive, and so is the monthly subscriptions even if you don't use it. Fortunately, there are some good sos-button and text-based alternatives like the Spot and InReach. They also have options for tracking, which is sometimes all you need besides emergency communications. If you have a way to call for help when you need it, and your wife can see where you are at any time, that addresses the great majority of mobile personal communications needs. There isn't much else that can't wait until you get home.

8. twogunmojo

twogunmojo
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

no one ever lost a rotary phone....

9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Also good to provide blunt force trauma to intruders and call 911 afterwards... try doing that with an iphone...

10. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

After Katrina, I watched a helicopter land in our parking lot and deliver satellite phone to the higher ups. Later in the day, they were all out in the lot , walking around pointing the satellite phones in different directions, trying to get a signal to make a call. I had one of them follow me to my truck and showed them my ham radio. I was able to hit the only repeater that didn't go off the air in the New Orleans area. This was a 30 year old repeater that was running on battery backup being charged by solar panels.
    Once I hit that repeater, I was able to get in touch with someone at the same staging area that they were trying to contact. Wasn't instant like a phone call, but I was able to do what they couldn't.
    Satellite phones have their place, just like ham radio,cell phones, etc... I try not to put all my eggs in one basket.