DIY Kydex

Discussion in 'DIY Gear & Mods' started by dmak, Apr 5, 2016.

1. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I'm sure I'll make some random holsters, but mostly for ccw stuff. I'll be making a pistol mag/leatherman/flashlight pouch that will IWB this weekend

Luck is the by-product of preparation and opportunity colliding. Stay Lucky!

Hannya, SMAJ and backwater-otter like this.
  2. SMAJ

SMAJ
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

For those who hate the pancake sheath, I did the taco sheath!
    [​IMG]

3. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Finally a comfortable IWB holster for my LCP with Crimson Trace Laser. I can even tuck in my shirt with this one. Why did it take me so long to find the Kydex is so easy to work with? Had I known it was this easy I could have saved myself hundreds of dollars in holsters over the last decade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mctacticool, Hannya, sswift and 6 others like this.
  4. CSM-101

CSM-101
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I made two knife sheaths after Christmas at @Echo2 's shop. He's been making Kydex stuff for awhile and has
    been trying to get me into it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to make a ferro rod holder and belt loops for these, I just picked up a couple of D rings this weekend.
    I have some of the rivets bookmarked on eBay and need to find a rivet die.

Hannya, sk33tr and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  5. thekapow

thekapow
    Expand Collapse

#25 thekapow, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Hannya, sswift, SMAJ and 4 others like this.
  6. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Made one for my 1911 w/ x300u this weekend. Switched up the style a bit. Decided to stitch instead of riveting. Love the outcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#26 dmak, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Sriracha, Hannya, sswift and 6 others like this.
  7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

What does the back side look like, @dmak?

Also....I am seriously contemplating switching to soft loops after an interesting conversation with someone who basically has a PhD in self defense.

Which means I need to order stuff. And, spending $25 isn't really different from spending $125, so I think I'm just going to buy a bunch of stuff and try my hand at a few things.

Is there anything wrong with the stuff that diyholsters sells?

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks

8. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

@moostapha - Do it. You'll kick your self in the ass for taking so long to get into kydex. It is so easy to work with and so much cheaper to do your self

[​IMG]

Hannya, SMAJ and moostapha like this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Nice, @dmak.

And, yes, I'm going to do it. First projects are to build a copy of the morrigan and make a version of my favorite that's light bearing. My employee discount kicks in next week, and I'm buying at least one xc1.

I'm just not looking forward to the initial investment, but I'm sure it'll pay off.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks

10. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Dude if you could see my "setup" you'll laugh/cry. It's pretty ghetto. I use some scrap foam I had on some old furniture sliders and getting by with welding gloves, the oven, a heat gun, and some random stuff to hand press. Seems to be working for now . I'll be anxious to make a proper press but am in no rush, I'll get by on the cheap till then.

Here's a pic of my setup. See how simple it can be!

[​IMG]

backwater-otter, SMAJ and moostapha like this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah. It's the heat gun and the pile of hardware that I'm hesitant on. I was planning on taping foam to some plywood and using hand clamps for pressure. You know, and my kitchen oven.

How picky is it about precise temperature? Everyone I know says that laser thermometers are also a bit of a necessity.

12. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

I'm not a perfectionist so take what I say with what ever grain of salt you want, i set the oven to 320 and let it sit in there for 5-7 mins. That seems to work just fine, I have a really nice oven that maintains temp which is nice. I personally see no need for the thermometer. When I'm running the heat gun I go on low setting and I'm not an idiot. You will see the Kydex start to soften. With the welding gloves on I'm not at all worried about burning myself and will just manipulate the Kydex with my hands. I've done a clamshell style and a couple single sided molds with easy. I say start simple and you'll see. Having a dremel with a lot of bit options is a necessity in my opinion as well.

SMAJ and moostapha like this.
  13. batteur

batteur
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I’m thinking about trying out making something out of kydex, too. But I’m hesitant to use the kitchen oven. Can it still be used for food afterwards?

dmak likes this.
  14. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Yes. I've noticed no odors and haven't even come close to burning or over heating. I am no problem so take my word with a grain of salt.

If your hesitant, go buy a cheap toaster oven. Heat gun is something that has served me very well. I have only needed to use a mask while I'm sanding/cutting the Kydex to keep the micro particulate out of my airway. I've never had any smoke or fumes

batteur likes this.
  15. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Made this after I got up this morning. Nice little belt holster for my BM 51.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

I made two more IWB holsters this weekend. So far I have been able to make 4 firearm holsters, a balisong sheath and my leatherman/flashlight combo from spending $70 at the leather store. I still have materials to make a few more holsters. I like doing leather kydex hybrids.

Today's offering with some of my production pics

- Glock 30 holster
    - Leatherman Charge/Fenix PD22 Holster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hannya

Hannya
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Nice sheath. I like the taco a lot, 1 piece is always better than two when it comes to seams and joints. I think that just looks cleaner.

dmak likes this.
  18. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Thanks. I agree. I tried a 2 piece and it failed miserably. I'm very much a novice in this holster making world but am having fun experimenting. It's nice to be able to make the things I want

mctacticool and Hannya like this.
  19. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Made this for my new pry bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mctacticool, SRVCTEC and Hannya like this.
  20. Hannya

Hannya
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I agree! I refuse to spend hundreds on holsters when I can make my own that won't fail and I can tweak it to fit my body or the body I'm making it for.
    I can do any kind of leather but Kydex is all new. I need to figure it out though so I can make a neck knife sheath for a knife I made. Your doing really nice work I see.

mctacticool likes this.