Easy fire starting tool

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor EDC' started by nolaradio, May 4, 2014.

1. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I saw this posted on another forum. Looks pretty easy. I'm thinking of ordering one to see if it really works like it does in the video.
    http://youtu.be/cuCWnjez3lk

2. SAMSONLLC

SAMSONLLC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I can tell you that the magnesium and fero rod combo will work every time. Having some fat wood with it can only be a plus

The necessary consequence of a man right to life is his right to self defense. -Ayn Rand

3. Overmountain

Overmountain
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

My tapatalk isn't following the link for some reason... But I'll add this in case the video doesn't. If it doesn't have a tiny sawblade or toothed device for getting little bitty shavings off, make sure you carry something that does. Slivers and curls are a pain to light by themselves. The smaller the shavings better...

But I concur, mag and ferrocium work well. But you have to have tinder to keep it going just like any fire.

I know I'm preaching to the choir and new here, but like any system, practice with it before relying on it. My scouts light their fires with firesteel even when a lighter or matches are present just to stay proficient.

Incidentally when heated only a bit, magnesium in small enough particles can self ignite. Hence why milling it is such a pain...

-Eric

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  4. Foulwind

Foulwind
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I also agree that having some fatwood available will be a big plus when using fero/mag block! I recently tried using an old mag bar and didn't have proper, dry tinder. I grabbed a fatwood stick out of my EDC, shaved some fatwood powder off it, then sent sparks into the FW powder, and immediately had flame!
    I don't leave home without fatwood now.

#4 Foulwind, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. Foulwind

Foulwind
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I also carry a small metal tube (Container, blue in color) by UST, filled with FW shavings, and cotton balls. I also carry a small (1oz) flask filled with lamp oil. I'll pour the lamp oil over tinder in a circle, and once flame is achieved, the lamp oil will ignite and spread the flame increasing is surface burn size.

6. stbob

stbob
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Doesn't get much easier than this...
    [​IMG]