Emergency Preparedness Food

Discussion in 'Exercise And Nutrition' started by SrAgri, Feb 24, 2016.

1. SrAgri

SrAgri
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

(This is kind of an approximate fit into this subforum. When I think of nutrition, I don't think of MREs.)

What kind of food do you keep in your BOB, pantry, car, etc. for emergency scenarios?

I'm not talking long-term post-apocalypse starting over with seeds. I'm talking about a disaster that is a matter of days, perhaps a week - tornado, hurricane, flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption, wild fires, etc. These are realistic scenarios that can affect any of us.

Options of which I am aware:
    • US Military MREs:
    well-know, readily available
    • French Military MREs: You can have squid!
    • First Strike Rations: do not require heating, for eating on the go

2. CSM-101

CSM-101
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I'm not a prepper, but I try to keep a mix of long term storage food items around. In my car I keep an MRE, a freeze dried item,
    a couple of Clif bars, jerky and a package of 'lifeboat ration bars.'

I keep more of the same at home, plus stuff like canned soup and pasta, oatmeal, just add water biscuit mix, peanut butter,
    crackers, honey, and ramen noodles. I like stuff that you just heat and eat or only needs water added, it's a bit bland but
    that doesn't really bother me.

Calico Salsa likes this.
  3. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I hate the term "Prepper" cause I feel it puts me in with the doomsday group. I am not prepared because I want to be ready for the zombie apocalypse. I'm prepared because it is a smart thing to do.

Having said that; I have a 1 year supply of freeze dried long term food storage and about a 1 month supply of water. I feel this is important for everyone to have if you can afford it. I remember as a kid my dad was out of work for almost a whole year and the only reason he was able to feed his family of 6 that whole year of unemployment was because he had built up his food storage. To this day he says, "If I hadn't had all that food for us to eat we wouldn't have made it as a family".

Having food storage is as important as having a savings account.

Here's some of the collection I have. I have tried all of the food and it is actually really damn good. I get it from a local store Emergency Essentials

www.beprepared.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luck is the by-product of preparation and opportunity colliding. Stay Lucky!

Ben Rubinstein and Calico Salsa like this.
  4. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I don't think I'm exactly "prepared," but I do have a few staples that I stock the pantry with along with my bag, work locker, and car. They're mostly snack items, but it's enough to get me through a couple of days - admittedly, it's probably not enough to get me through any large emergencies. I also admit that I don't really look at nutrition or caloric density. They're just things that I would normally eat anyway.

• Peanut butter - luckily, I don't have a peanut allergy. There's always a large jar (think Costco sized) in the pantry, a baby sized one in my backpack, and a regular one in the car. Occasionally, when the little Justin's packets go on sale, I'll pick those up too.
    • Clif Bars - usually gets me through the day, if need be. They're quite filling.
    • Ramen - Sometimes I'll snack on these dry with a sprinkling of the seasoning powder (Mi Mama in the silver bag is a favorite - this was how we ate it at recess in the 2nd grade). At home, I ditch the seasoning packet and just use the noodles as a base and dress it up with leftover meats and veggies. :) Good stuff.
    • Rice - pantry item. I'm Asian. hahahah :p It's an easy add-on to any meal to make it last longer. My mom used to add rice to leftover soup. I add rice to chili to make it more filling and stretch the pot.
    • Oats - I like rolled oats, especially. It's a cheap and easy base for various add ins.
    • Spices - I try to keep spices handy since it's an easy fix to enhance an otherwise bland dish.
    • Instant mashed potatoes - staple for pantry and car. Just add water! :) They're pretty cheap - even the flavored ones.
    • Canned soup - it's nice to have around for something that's just heat and eat. I have these in the pantry as well as my car.
    • Canned veggies - At home I usually just have frozen veggies, if not fresh, but as a backup, I do stock up on the canned variety.
    • Honey packets - They're like ketchup packets, but with honey. I prefer these to the honey straws. We have them at work and you can usually pick up a couple at tea/coffee shops. They're nice to have around for various reasons and the packets makes it a little more convenient. I've been known to snack on honey/PB/saltines at work for a quick pick-me-up.
    • Dried fruit - I don't think I keep these around at home, but I do keep them in my bag and car. Raisins, cranberries....
    • Peanuts - I buy bulk peanuts for the home and keep a few sealed packets in the car and bag. I'm really unsure of how the bulk ones would keep in the car because of the fat content, so I do buy the sealed packs for that reason.
    That's the short of it. There may be a few things I'm missing, but these are the main items I keep on hand. My favorite is definitely to have peanut butter and honey packets on hand. Saltines help too. :p

Edited to add: I found some dehydrated mixed veggies at my local grocery in their bulk section. I was thinking of adding that to the pantry and car. Seems like an easy way to add some veggies to instant ramen if I needed to. Most of the ramen I buy already have dehydrated veggies like cabbage and shitake mushrooms, but they're quite a bit more expensive than the brick stuff and takes up more storage space.

#4 mooshi, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Calico Salsa and mole like this.
  5. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

[​IMG]

Snack time! As previously mentioned, it's one of my work locker staples. :p

Calico Salsa and mctacticool like this.
  6. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

[​IMG]

Haha speaking of emergency food...

I came to work today and they were rotating out their stock. I got one of the bars to try. I haven't a clue the brand or flavor, but it's pretty good, albeit a little on the sweet side.

mctacticool likes this.
  7. Monocrom

Monocrom
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Mostly large packs of Mountain House dehydrated meals. Along with quite a few crackers.

stbob likes this.
  8. stbob

stbob
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

[​IMG]

Tabasco likes this.