First Aid Kits

Discussion in 'First Aid' started by EDCP-MIKE, Mar 7, 2012.

1. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

@moostapha - I’ve done a LOT of training with all the major TQs on the market and you’re right, the SWAT T and RATS take a bit more practice. I prefer the windlass TQs but sometimes they’re just not practical to carry. I tell my classes, just like a gun, the TQ you have with you is 100% better than the one you left at home because it was too hard to carry.

2. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Awesome. I've talked to a lot of people who just buy one and think the instructions are good enough.

I disagree that bigger TQs are not practical to carry. But...I'm obviously a bit of a wierdo in that respect.

3. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i came across this while watching a video of a guy's med kit setup. he showed how to stage it for one-person, single-hand use. and then showed how easy it was to deploy and use. also, once you start tightening it, it doesn't come undone until you release the buckle. it works with a ratcheting function and looked very easy to do. plus, they make different sizes.

https://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/r...aps/ratcheting-medical-tourniquet-rmt-2-inch/

they sell them on amazon, but the site from the link has them about $15 cheaper. i'm thinking of getting a few for all my kits (edc, truck, range bag, extra kit for house, shop)

4. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

This one looked good until the double loop threading. Also the ratchet looks awfully small. I’m thinking if your hands are wet, your googles fogged, rain pouring down on you...oh, and that whole “you’ve been shot/blown up/damaged and are in pain and dying” thing. Solid concept, but needs some fine tuning.

sk33tr likes this.
  5. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

in the video i mentioned, the guy showed how he stages his. he says he keeps it threaded, but loose-fitting, to be able to slide it onto an arm or a leg. that way, all you have to do is slide it up, then pull the strap and start ratcheting.

the other part, wet hands, goggles, fogged, etc., is certainly something that should be taken into account with any tourniquet. but wit the way this one is designed, i feel like i could manage to pull up on the ratchet mechanism even if i couldn't see it very well; just by feel.

here's a very short video (not the one i mentioned above) of how it can be done with one hand with the strap staged already in the loops..

granted, that guy's not under any duress so he can do it quickly and without any fumbling around. but, like i said, that can be an issue with any tourniquet. obviously there isn't one best solution out there for everyone. people will like different types for various reason due to efficiency, cost, ease-of-use in shtf situations, etc. and of course the thing with anything like this is practice, practice, practice. you need to know the product very well before it's needed so you don't try to use it in a bad situation and wind up worse than before.

the kind with the windlass...i have that style and have tried it one-handed. it's not very easy to do. trying to turn the bar, and keep it tight without it coming undone, can be a pita. and that was just me sitting comfortably and trying to do it. i still have it and would use because it's the only style i have...for now. but i plan on getting the M2 style and trying it out to see if it's any better or easier to do one-handed. and, like my current one, i'm going to try it with bare hands, gloved hands, wet hands, oily (slippery) hands, etc.

i will say that the release dose seem a bit small and looks like it could be difficult to release while wearing gloves. you have to get your finger under that release pretty good and be able to pull up with a bit of strength to release it. and it looks like the size of it would hinder doing that with gloves on.

i do like the simplicity of it, though.

Grandpa Patch likes this.
  6. Cyclops

Cyclops
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

A recent revamp of my EDC, clothing, food, water, & first aid kit, I've been carrying this gear in my car or on my person in a modist sized EDC bag and I thought it time to up-date everything.

I'm not a trained EMT or Medic so this is my layman's FAK for me, I don't intend on stepping in to act like I know what I'm doing in a situation, but if I can help then I will of course.

I was very discouraged this weekend when I went through my FAK to find most of my Celox was almost expired or expired, I recently purchased it from an Amazon vendor, recently being a year ago,
    I've found a source for fresh Celox, expiration date 2022 &2023, and after all the stuff I've read about it vs QuikClot in the post trauma situation, is it the better choice?

My EDC FAK will consist of;

5 X Celox 2g. packets,
    1 X Celox 15g. packet of the granules, can get this size in either granules or liquid
    1 X Celox A hemostatic application Plunger
    6 X 1" wide Neosporin prepped bandages,
    4 X 2" wide Neosporin prepped bandages, (found those at Fredies),
    1 X small Neosporin spray
    1 X CAT tourniquet,
    1 medium sized Burn Gel pad.
    1 X Israeli bandage,
    1 X 2" wide rolls self bonding elastic tape
    1 X After Bite insect bite & bee sting pin applicator
    10 X Wound Wipes, small 1" pads
    10 X Alcohol wipes, small 1" pads
    1 X bandage scissor's
    1 X tweezers
    1 X magnifying glass
    1 X 2" mirror
    1 X Space blanket
    10 X Nitril gloves (5 pair.)
    1 X Safety glasses
    3 X dust mask's

The last three items are in case I'm helping someone else in a trauma situation, but Good Samaritan laws can be brutal, so if they're not in danger of bleeding to death before EMT's arrive then I don't want to complicate things.

Yeah, I know, no honey, but that was something I stumbled onto during my research on the net,,,,,,,

sk33tr likes this.
  7. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Bandaids. Lots of bandaids. You’ll use them more than anything else in there. I recommend 20 1x3 and 6 2x3 patch style. I’d also consider adding 4-6 3x3 or 4x4 dressings; the go well with the self bonding tape (I assume that’s Coban or “vet wrap”?). One more item - an ACE bandage, at least 3” wide. Can be used for sprains and as a trauma wrap.