Free Soldier Soft Shell Jacket

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Desertratt1322, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

So I decided to pick up a Free Soldier Soft Shell Jacket Yesterday off of Amazon, Should be here by the 28th of September. The reviews looked pretty good except the sizing. So i was wondering if anyone out there has one and what are their thoughts on it. looks a lot like a condor with out the removable hood. Does have the the rear zippers on both sides to place gloves or smaller items. I'll let everyone know my thoughts on it once it comes in. 71lF+w-UDQL._SL1200_.jpg

2. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Added one to my Amazon wish list. I love soft shell jackets. I have one that I need a new zipper on but I could always use that as an excuse to get another.

mctacticool likes this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

This is going to sound dumb, but what is the point of a soft shell?

Wind? Rain?

Idk why, but I'm just not convinced they do anything all that well. Someone please educate me, because I'm obviously missing something.

(Not being facetious)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertratt1322 likes this.
  4. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I like them cause they're not too bulky. Where I live, we only had about two weeks of 30° weather the last two or three years. I usually wear a hoodie under my jacket on those real cold days and that's good enough. No need for a real bulky coat.
    Yes, on its own, it blocks the wind pretty good. It's got the added bonus of shedding water too.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Desertratt1322 and moostapha like this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, is it basically a windbreaker that doesn't screm 80s?

How is it different from a rain coat that seems to do the same thing? Or is that name more of a style thing?

6. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

My take on soft shells. I use one for work because it is windproof/waterproof and fleece lined. I don't like lined storm shells, but do like lined soft shells. I also like snow shoeing and climbing in them cause it is a single added layer vs multiple layers. All other snow sports, I use layers and a shell. They are great for cool days when I don't want to layer up. It is Essentially a windbreaker from yester year, but the outer fabric is much tougher/quieter/weather resilient than the slick shit from yesteryear.

Soft shells are good for transitional seasons.

7. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

My newer Arc'Teryx jacket is a hybrid soft/storm shell with really fancy goretex and super micro fleece lining, kind of the best of both worlds.

8. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Okay...those ideas make sense.

I'm not sure they make sense for GA.

9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

It wouldn't... I use mine as a crossover jacket between summer and winter, but the heat and humidity you have in georgia is something i wouldn't want to try with a softshell on... Come to think of it, i use mine most of winter as well, at least if i'm just going groceryshopping or to the hated mall, no need for a winterjacket if the place i'm going is somewhat heated...

10. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Here in New Mexico I can get away with wearing one almost the whole winter unless we get heavy snowfall. It's not as bulky as most jackets works get in the city. Now going up north you will need a heavier jacket. I've got a couple soft shells from work but not as tactiCool as I like but works when I'm out seeing Customers. I will say the Zipper does Zip on the left which will take a little getting use to, Also I will say this I usually wear a large in a Jacket and a XL fits like a large,sizing does run small so I would suggest 1 size larger than you normally buy. For the money it is well worth it.

moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I just realized that my fall/rain jacket basically counts as a soft shell. I just think of it as a rain jacket.

Hmmm....weird terminology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertratt1322 and mctacticool like this.