Gloves?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by nolaradio, Nov 3, 2017.

1. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

What gloves are your go to gloves when the weather outside is frightful?

What "tactical" gloves are you using when spending a day at the range?

Personally, I have no idea what brand of gloves I use when it's cold outside. I'll have to look for a name on them if/when it ever gets cold enough this winter to pull them out of the closet.

There's a local gun show this weekend that I might go check out. It will give me a chance to stop in at the only "army surplus" store within 30 miles of the house. I'm thinking of checking out what they have that I could use at the range. They are a 5.11 dealer so I have been looking at a couple of their offerings. Hopefully the store will have them in stock if I go so that I can try them on. Gloves and shoes are something I don't feel comfortable ordering online.

Tabasco and mctacticool like this.
  2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I have 4 main pairs of gloves...

Leather lined with kevlar, looks like normal leathergloves but are cut and needle resistant...

Leather lined with wool, in the recent winters these are good for when its really cold...

Skigloves, for prolonged exposure to cold weather...

Mechanix Fast Fit work gloves...

Mechanix are coming out with new gloves at the moment so that might be worth looking into...

Tabasco and EDCP-MIKE like this.
  3. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Totally forgot about the Mechanix gloves. If anything, I may get a pair to keep in the vehicle in case I need to change a tire or for some other dirty task. Gotta keep my fingernails looking good! Guess I might be stopping in the local Home Depot tomorrow to see what Mechanix gloves they have.

EDCP-MIKE and mctacticool like this.
  4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I've been using Duluth Trading's Winterproof work gloves for a while for cold weather. They're not really "winterproof" but they are waterproof, which comes in handy when you need to touch snow, ice, or water. They're not the warmest gloves around, though. I believe they're made for Duluth by Ironclad, which makes many types of gloves. I wanted to post here mostly to subscribe to the thread so I could see what other folks are using for really cold weather.

Other than that, the only gloves I use are standard cheap work gloves from ACE for landscaping chores and nitrile disposable gloves from Horror Freight for medical/trash uses. Oh and I also have neoprene fingerless gloves from NRS for kayaking.

Tabasco and mctacticool like this.
  5. Tabasco

Tabasco
    Expand Collapse

For tough duty gloves I like the fire resistant Youngstown Hybrid Mechanics gloves. High dollar but they can be found on sale at times.

mctacticool likes this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

It never really gets cold enough in GA to care much about cold-weather gloves. So, some kind of leather or "vegan leather" (because it's cheaper) gloves from a department store serve me in the winter when/if I bother caring. My only requirement is "no nylon".

For normal work gloves, I'm actually not a huge fan of Mechanix. The huge seams are just uncomfortable for me, and they seem to cause more blisters than not using them. So...I typically use minimalist cycling gloves (or, I do have mechanix something or others) if I'm going to be doing something that actually has a chance of damaging my hands. But, I also don't really do things that require a lot of protection.

For tactical gloves, I really like the SKD FDT Delta gloves. They fit my hands pretty well, and the seams at least aren't annoying. And, they give enough feeling/dexterity/mobility to actually get a pretty much normal grip on a handgun and good enough trigger feel for most things. But, I don't wear gloves shooting all that often.

I haven't found anything that gives a decent feel for shooting and will also protect my hands from touching a silencer. So, the FDT Deltas are good enough. I mostly wear them for CQB training and would if for some reason (use your imagination) I proactively went to a gunfight with full kit, and I just have a Burn Proof Gear hank in my EDC bag for touching hot things (apparently they stand up to like 1200 degrees F).

Water-Rat and mctacticool like this.
  7. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

for the range, i use the 5.11 tac a2 gloves. i got them locally and they fit nice and snug so there's no parts that are sagging to get caught on anything...i.e., the gun. they're not mean to keep your hands warm, but something is better than nothing and i can keep a good feel on my pistol and my rifle when using them as they offer good dexterity for mag changes, clearing misfires/feeds/jams, etc.

for everyday use, i use mechanix. i keep a pair of the mechanix m-pact in my truck attached to my ghb. they were bought solely for that purpose, but i've used them a couple times when i was away from home and needed a pair of gloves. i also keep a pair of reflective/hi-vis gloves in my storage box in my truck if i have to do any work on the side of the road. neither of these are meant or designed for cold weather, but like previously, they're better than nothing.

for actual cold weather, i have a pair of fleece-lined gloves with gore tex. i've only had to use them a couple times when i was out and it was really cold (30s or below). they're not tactical by any means. they're not even designed for work. they're only designed to keep your hands warm; and they work pretty well. i can't remember what brand they are as i bought them at a local mom/pop store.

i've been thinking of picking up a pair of the mechanix insulated gloves and keeping them in my truck in case i need to do any work while it's cold.

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  8. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I have several pair of Mechanix gloves that I keep in different places. My oldest pair are about 10 years old and are only now starting to show wear in the fingers (they were used almost daily for 4 years).

mctacticool and sk33tr like this.
  9. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

man, i wish i could get that many years from a pair of mechanix gloves. the most i've ever gotten was a little over 2 years. i'm just abusive on them i guess, lol.

charlie fox and mctacticool like this.