Grab the tac duffle bag and hit the road !

Discussion in 'Home EDC' started by jeremyew, Mar 23, 2012.

1. jeremyew

jeremyew
    Expand Collapse
    Protect our Right to bear arms by being responsibl

In todays world being prepared is a must this is why I constantly pick things up to shove in my tactical duffle bag.My bag contains 1 Lever action 30/30 Marlin 336 , 1 Mossberg 12 gauge tactical shot gun with an 8 round mag , an old 8mm mauser because its simple accurate and reliable. My bag also contains several boxes of ammo for each rifle , a Gerber machete , a small hatchet , sharpening stone and steel, a pair of sai just because they are solid steel and heavy and could come in handy? There are canteens as well as a number of other useful items but the most important item in my bag is my first aid kit. I purchased a medium size flat double door tackle box and began filling all of the slots in it . From compass to fire starting tools it has everything you need. The first aid alone you could perform various forms of field triage and in last resort scenarios probably even minor surgery? Oh yeah it also contains fishing tackle , a survival foil blanket and items to set snares or help build shelters. Some say I am crazy but I say I am prepared and most importantly I can use everything in the bag and it has wheels at the bottum for easy transport! Any suggestions that may help me be even more prepared?

2. dfoland

dfoland
    Expand Collapse
    Keep your powder dry

I know it sounds dumb and not tactical but clean socks and undies in a water proof bag. I've been in the field for extended periods of time and those are worth their weight in gold. Poncho, light weight backup shoes, soap, and babywipes. If this bag is just for you consider maybe removing a gun or two you can really only wield 1 long arm effectively anyway. You could replace one with a side arm with holster rig.

sk33tr likes this.
  3. jeremyew

jeremyew
    Expand Collapse

Great ideas ,,,ones I had never thought of! The bag is to ensure the safety and survival of my family and I. I have trained my wife and 13 year old son on the safety and use of my long rifles. I would feel better with a couple of compact side arms but with my smaller children I think the safest way to go is with the big heavy guns they cant lift? I may be a little over paranoid but it makes me feel better! Cleanliness is a morale booster that I had forgotten so thanks for the tips I will be sure to add some soap , socks , mouthwash and a few other things !!

4. Drummerathome

Drummerathome
    Expand Collapse
    If it bleeds, we can kill it

I suppose it depends on the required level of comfort of those involved and the time of year. For me, its just myself and my 13 yr old daughter. She is tough as nails and I think would live in a tent in the bush year round if we could pull it off. I have always been a better to have it and not need it kinda guy. But when it comes to my bug out gear, I'm a minimalist. I honestly feel if it gets bad enough we have to boogie, light and fast is the way to go. The only thing I'm really missing is a water filter. I hope to pick that up soon.

5. Coyote

Coyote
    Expand Collapse
    Only Believe

I'm right there with you. I definitely need to get one. It just keeps getting pushed down on the priority list for some reason :)

6. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Charter Member

Here's a good video about the Berkey Sport Water Bottle, which has a built in charcoal filter.

Sport Berkey Water Filter Bottle

7. jeremyew

jeremyew
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I notice more and more different types of those filtered water bottles. I have even seen that Brita has one out that you can find in the grocery stores though I dont know how it would stack up? I will be buying a couple today thanks !

8. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm going to try one of the Berkey bottles myself. I'll give a review if I'm brave enough to drink from the lake!

9. Drummerathome

Drummerathome
    Expand Collapse
    If it bleeds, we can kill it

That was cool, I'll may have to pick one of those up. I have a light pack-able stove and we can boil but that's a pain in the a$$ when your on the run. I'll have to keep my eye out for something like this for on the fly "dad I'm thirsty" kinda thing. Thanks brother

10. XDSteve

XDSteve
    Expand Collapse
    Being prepared is a great feeling...

Have you had a chance to pick one of these up yet? Sounds like a great addition to a BOB or survival/camping bag. I'm gonna do some more research before I pay $25 for a filter.

11. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

No, I haven't purchased one yet. I suppose in the next few weeks I'll probably order one.

12. dfoland

dfoland
    Expand Collapse
    Keep your powder dry

I'm gonna grab one of those ones in the camping section from wally world I'll let you know.

13. generalagony

generalagony
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

new to the board and prepping in general. I went ahead and ordered 2 and will give feedback once they arrive and I have time to use them. Thanks for this post.

14. BobRenken

BobRenken
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Ditto on the socks!
    Very important to train the whole family on the use of self defense equipment.

15. mfic

mfic
    Expand Collapse
    Ex-Boy Scout and Ex-Army I learned to be prepared

Amen brother. Never underestimate the power of clean, dry socks and skivvies.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  16. BrianI

BrianI
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Water Bottles

I have one of the Brita bottles (my second - misplaced the first). It's ok - the filter's small, easily inserted, and it's a convenient 20 oz. of water. I use it mainly at the office.

It's not the strongest seal, however, and I find it can leak / dribble some. While I'm a fan of Brita filters for general use - I use a pitcher at home for me and the dog's drinking water - I don't know the Brita bottle is hardcore enough for outdoor or disaster use, ponds, etc.

I'm interested in checking out one of the Berkey bottles.

17. Troy

Troy
    Expand Collapse

YES! I have one of those life straws. You're not going to last long without water. That's how I prioritize my carry. Water, medical stuff, tools (firearms, knives, flashlight) something to barter or trade (usually some silver coins). I should do some clean clothes but I don't. Deodorant is a big one for me. I've been into this for 8+ years and walhat I started doing was making a list of things I find myself needing at various times. It's funny. I have a vest, but have never even considered including it.

sk33tr and mctacticool like this.
  18. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i keep a small, travel-size stick in my small hygiene kit in my truck bag. i also keep travel-size options of toothpaste, a toothbrush (the brush pulls off and stores in the handle), mouthwash, floss, bar of soap. staying clean and refreshed can be a very big morale booster. i've spent several days out before without having the ability to wash, and it was pretty crappy and demoralizing. once i was able to get somewhere and get clean, i felt tons better and my attitude immediately changed for the better. and clean socks, underwear, and clothes can go on this list as well. getting your body clean then having to put the dirty clothes back on really doesn't do any good. so i always keep some spares in my bag.

*pants (1)
    *shorts (1)
    *shirts (1 long-sleeve and 1 short-sleeve)
    *socks (2 pair)
    underwear (2 pair)
    shoes (light-weight hiking boots | these aren't actually in the bag, but they're with it)

i lay all the clothes out flat and then tightly roll them up to save space. and then i put the roll in a waterproof stuff sack and that goes at the bottom of my bag.

plus, if i'm ever traveling somewhere (non-emergency related) and i have to stop on the side of the road to do any maintenance, and i get dirty, i can clean up right there and put on clean clothes.

dmak likes this.