Gun Cleaning kit setup

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by dfoland, Jan 7, 2013.

1. dfoland

dfoland
    Expand Collapse
    Keep your powder dry

I recently put together a cleaning kit with all my stuff organized in a tackle box. I don't know why i didn't think of this years ago being a fisherman.
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one doing this but, I kinda had an AHA! moment whilst walking thru the fishing section of wally world after buying some patches and Hoppes.
    Before this I just had all my junk thrown in a ammo can.
    Anyway I'd like to see you setups too if you want. Maybe I can get some more ideas.
    Price was like $7

Attached Files:

2. 1willi4

1willi4
    Expand Collapse
    Why do I carry a 45? Because they don't make a .46

My wide bought me this several years ago from MidwayUSA by Tipton. Which I think is one of their store brands.
    It has:
    - solid brass jags and brushes from .17 up to .45 caliber
    - a special tool for cleaning the race ways in a bolt action rifle
    - some plastic dental picks for getting crude out of every nook and cranny a gun has.
    - I have every carbon fiber cleaning rod Tipton makes too
    My only complaint is the over the top powerful bore solvent. It totally removed the finish from a S&W Model 22A.

I also have an Otis tactical cleaning kit. It's about as big around as a coffee mug and about 1/2 as tall. Next to this kit it is a marvel if the firearms world. It'll clean about anything and pack into your pocket.

Attached Files:

Longbow_06 and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. jdh4659

jdh4659
    Expand Collapse

I usually pack a basic boresnake/fluids kit in my range bag when I take my .308 and handguns out...but this is my gun cleaning setup :)

I scrapped the rack because I had a lot more guns and not enough room...so I switched to a 12-16 gun safe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mfic

mfic
    Expand Collapse
    Ex-Boy Scout and Ex-Army I learned to be prepared

Sweet setup!

5. dfoland

dfoland
    Expand Collapse
    Keep your powder dry

Super cool DSH I'm gonna copy that

6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I really need to actually find real storage. Right now, I'm basically using a big plastic bag and the stuff sitting next to it.

Inside:

-9mm cleaning rod, brush, and jag that fit into the handle.
    -45 cleaning brush that came with my RO.
    -223 bore snake
    -patches
    -small 223 ammo box full of q-tips I stole from my wife

And some older lube. I've never really found a need for bore solvent. Also, I'm transitioning to using Mobil 1 20w-50 engine oil after reading about what a firearm lube needs to do and how literally none of the gun brands do real testing or release a MSDS, and that v-twin oil's data corresponds almost 1-for-1 with the desires.

Also, it was $14/quart.

And it seems to work perfectly so far.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

7. Longbow_06

Longbow_06
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah, that's a darned site cheeper than any of the branded lubes out there.
    I'm a huge fan of a dab of white lithium grease on rails too.
    Does this thread need a cleaning pic ? I think it does....
    [​IMG]

8. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i have a pretty small, single-gun kit.

i plan on buying a more robust kit later after i acquire the new pistol i want.

Longbow_06 likes this.
  9. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i just upgraded my cleaning kit to a larger version. i used to keep the smaller items in a plano waterproof stowaway box (3400). it's the small version with the rubber seal. it has 3 latches to keep it closed tightly and it did a pretty good job. but after i acquired more cleaning stuff, i needed something a bit bigger. so i went with the plano 3640-1. it's a larger version of the small stowaway. it also has the 3 latches and the rubber seal to keep it sealed and waterproof. but i can keep much more in it.

the only negative about it is that the largest compartments in it still aren't long enough to hold the various rods and brushes i have. so i need to find one that's long enough to hold those with maybe just one large compartment inside.

10. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

My humble setup. I admit when I saw this kit at Wal-Farts I was attracted to the box and I replaced all the garbage tools in the kit. My cleaning regimen is very simple. WWI era three piece, copper rod, Hoppe's 9, synthetic motor oil, a good chamber brush, Q-tips out the wazoo, and lots of elbow grease.

... and yes my bench really needs a cleanup. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

WinonaRail, sk33tr and mctacticool like this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Still using motor oil or lithium wheel bearing grease in everything. And I cut basically everything out of the kit except for bore snakes, q-tips, and shop towels.

Still zero cleaning-related issues.

Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  12. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I've been using cv axle grease on my new AR build and have been really happy with it. I'm about 400 rounds down pipe and the action is smooth as butter.

Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  13. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Just got done shooting in the snow and am giving them a much needed scrubbing

[​IMG]

14. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I forgot to mention the bore snakes. Most brilliant invention ever. They save A LOT of time. Still need to put together a field expedient kit. Might be a good weekend project.

mctacticool likes this.
  15. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Sorry for the double post but what are you guys using grease for on the AR platform? For the bolt carrier and bolt? I know it's common for FN-FALs/CETMEs, etc. but I don't see a need for grease AT ALL on the AR platform. Not criticizing or anything but I may learn something new here. I know environmental condx require different maintenance so I assume that might be a reason.

From my thinking, I'd imagine grease would attract dust, sand, and other debris and foul up the action.

mctacticool likes this.
  16. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

I've made the switch to synthetic motor oil and am glad I did. Much better performance. I use motor oil on my bcg and slip 2000 on my trigger springs

mctacticool likes this.
  17. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

My "field expedient kit" is an extra bolt, extra cam pin, extra firing pin, bore snake, a small bottle of motor oil, and a fireproof gear hank (to take off a hot silencer in the event of a baffle/endcap strike or becuase I don't want to wait an hour to go home). It won't fix a squib, but it fixes the most common detrimental screw ups.

That has not been my experience. It doesn't "attract" anything, it just stays thicker when it sticks...which it does to oil as well.

I use either lithium grease or motor oil, but I don't really have a procedure for which one I use when. If I'm not going to be shooting for a while but still want the gun to be ready for defensive use, I'm more likely to use the grease just out of a (probably unfounded) fear that the oil (as thick as it is) will run off the BCG and into the buffer tube (it sits in the safe muzzle up) over a couple weeks. I've also had to reapply oil on long training days (~500 rounds) because it felt a little dry, but when it was greased, the gun seems to make it through those days and only need a reapply at the end.

I also don't live in a particularly dusty area. But, I have shot on dirt/clay ranges a decent bit. And it kind of just doen't come up. But, I am not in combat conditions. On my mk18, I do shoot almost exclusively with the silencer. And it can't go more than a few hundred rounds without burning off the oil and/or getting so disgusting that I feel like I need to at least wipe it down. The Grease lasts longer, but it still gets dirty at about the same rate...it just doesn't feel dry/rough as quickly.

Either way, when I get done shooting, I just wipe off the BCG, check that the gas rings still make a seal, and reapply lube. But, I've also gone long enough without actually cleaning it that I had to take a blowtorch to the silencer to defeat carbon lock. Apparently, that can happen pretty quickly, but I havne't noticed it happening before oil needs a reapplication.

I did a lot less than that when I was shooting almost every lunch break (usually nothing) and still didn't have problems.

I've actually had more issues with my G17 running on grease than my AR. And by that, I mean I had one stovepipe a month or so ago. I dripped some oil onto the slide rails and it didn't happen again. But, I also don't know if it happened because it was dirty or if something else caused it. Maybe it was just time that gun had a failure (it had been a few thousand rounds).

Sharaz_Jek, sk33tr and mctacticool like this.
  18. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i want to put together a kit that includes things like these. basically, i want enough stuff to build another bcg...or two, lol. i also want to buy the "survival parts kit" they have on glockstore.com.

mctacticool and Sharaz_Jek like this.