HAM recipies...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio' started by Kerberos, Apr 7, 2014.

1. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

For 2M in the backpack I use a Kenwood THK20A. It's a solid, proven dependable HT that's has no frills. No built-in GPS or APRS, no dualband, no triband, no x-band repeat. In the mountains I just need the best chance of reaching a repeater and this provides that without excess buttons, features, and menus in the way. It's not guaranteed to reach, but repeater coverage in the mountains near me is much better than cellular.

Mobile I have a Yaesu FT2900R with a 5/8 wave Larsen NMO150. The antenna and larger amp give me substantially more gain. You really have to be in a hole for it to come short. I've seen APRS packets fail, but never phone. In the open, I can touch repeaters hundreds of miles away. I would seriously consider the Kenwood mobile instead though because the desktop software to program it is free and the user interface is better. I would choose a single bander. I played with APRS for a while and still have a mini TNC, but at the end of the day, 2M phone does 100% of what I need, so the only justification for a dual-band, dual-receive, digital, high-end rig like the FTM 400XDR would be for fun, and HF is just more so I prefer the simple 2m rigs. If I get another 2m rig for a home base, it would just be another mobile with an antenna on the house and a power supply.

For HF, I built some QRP kits and fiddled with them. I had limited success with my receiver. I should probably have a commercial receiver as a reference, but I put it on pause for a while. If it was important for me to be operational for portable ops, I would probably get an Elecraft KX3 or KX2. I have no real interest in building a shack for the forseeable future, but I think the Flex SDR's are a good way to go for that.

nolaradio and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

@Sharaz_Jek i finally got myself a UV-5R, and i'm looking into getting HAM licensed within a year or so...

nolaradio and charliefox like this.
  3. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Wonderful! If the entry level test is similar to the one here in the US, you shouldn't have much trouble getting started.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I have found some info on it and a couple of ham-clubs in the area, i don't the test it self will be very hard however finding the time and money to take is a whole different thing...

The test cost 68$ add another 48$ for the handle to be issued and add to that about 20$ for the 'schoolbook' on the subject and whatever a clubmembership might cost me...

5. EZDog

EZDog
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I picked this Rig up recently from an older Ham who needed to down size!
    I told him when he bought this one that I would take it off his hands if he ever wanted to sell and he called recently and BAM!

20 watts on 6m & 2m and All Mode.
    The Mic is pretty sweet too along with the Astron Power Supply with TT Logo!

I have way too many radios but this one is pretty unique.

I also have a TT Mobile that was sold as a Kit and mine is the one that QST built and reviewed when they were released,I mean the exact one,I snagged it from the Editor of QST!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  6. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

My normal set up:
    [​IMG]
    And when I'm all covert like:

The second on when we have a portable repeater set up.

#26 charliefox, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    nolaradio, Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  7. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Ten-Tecs have a serious coolness factor. I don't have six meter capability in the shack. Might have to look into that one.

8. matthewtkimball

matthewtkimball
    Expand Collapse

IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0459.JPG
    I am the VA Special Olympics Summer Games Communications Director and this is one go box, currently outfitted with 30 TYT-380 DMR radios. Our summer games are in June each year and over 2 days we average nearly 50 Amateur Radio Operators and out in close to 700 man hours!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Impressive go-case.... That one case holds more hardware than whats allowed on a standard private owned frequency here... For more than 20 devices we have to purchase an extended permit...

Do you run your own frequencies or are you using something like DMR/PMR ??

charliefox and Sharaz_Jek like this.