HAM recipies...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio' started by Kerberos, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Did some rearranging and added a dedicated radio desktop machine running Windows 7. It's an old HP DC5100 commercial grade machine. Perfect for radio since it has a built in speaker and allows audio pass-through so I can monitor the audio from the radios. Linux is great for a lot of things but it's a major PITA for amateur radio. Lucked out and found a nice cart for it at a thrift store today for $9. It's perfect actually. Going to get it set up for ADS-B tracking and other RTL-SDR applications tomorrow. Already have Multi-PSK, FL-Digi, Sorcerer, UISS, MMSSTV, DIGTRX, UI-View-32, WXTrack, WXToImg, and Audacity all set up.

[​IMG]

mctacticool likes this.
  2. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Can't wait to get this thing in the air. Waiting on parts. RIP Radio Shack.

[​IMG]

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  3. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

4. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

God i love my baofeng... Here in wintertime when there’s hardly any foliage on the tree’s i can catch the airport securityteam who’s 30 miles away...

Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  5. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I get a lot of use out of mine. They're just so easy to program with CHIRP and they're light weight. Sure my Alincos and my Yaesus are much better and tougher radios but for daily use a Baofeng is just fine. They save my more pricier HTs a lot of wear and tear. You can't beat them for the money, that's for sure.

mctacticool likes this.
  6. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I’m really pleased with mine, and with the new job starting march 1st i’ll be in ham-radio-country every day so i plan on listening in on 2 meter and 70 centimeter (i think) to figure out if there is any traffic on that here... If there is, and its interesting i might get a ham license...

nolaradio and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  7. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Just get the license. You won't regret it.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  8. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

If there is no one to talk to it doesn’t matter...

Edit to add: the test and callsign runs a price of 110USD here, so i’m not about to spend that kind of money on something that might turn out to be nothing...

#48 mctacticool, Feb 20, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    Sharaz_Jek likes this.
  9. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I wish they had been around when I first got my license, and that was back in 2001. Getting started was a huge investment. The Alinco DJ-G5 was my first radio and it was about $400 at the time. It's a good radio, though. You can see the patina on it and I love the spectrum scope function that it and the DJ-G7 has. Really handy for satellite comms.

Repeater chat can be either really boring or really interesting depending on which one you listen to. Here, the town (Williamsport) about 20miles to the East has a butt load of repeater systems but the chat is usually pretty dull but the town about 30 miles South-West (State College) is where Penn State University is and they have one of the best electrical engineering programs in the country. A lot of the guys who talk on the machines there are professors and electrical engineering students. One guy I know worked on and helped design the antenna arrays at HAARP. They get into some really fascinating conversations and I learn an awful lot from those guys. On Sunday night after the ARES/RACES net they were chatting about the particle accelerator they have on campus. I was glued to my base radio for that whole conversation.

mctacticool likes this.
  10. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

You might not hear anyone on the local repeaters because they are all waiting to hear someone else first. Happens around here sometimes. No one talking. Then you throw out your callsign and the next thing you know there's a dozen people talking.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

mctacticool likes this.
  11. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Yeah, most of the repeaters around here are dead for the most part but if you throw out your callsign someone usually comes back.

mctacticool likes this.
  12. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Good point...