Hammock

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor EDC' started by backwater-otter, Mar 26, 2016.

1. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I've got a $50 REI gift card and am wanting to get one nice item with it. Thinking an ENO Singlenest Hammock. I would get just the hammock and make my own straps and rainfly. Any opinions on the ENO?? Should I stay with the single or get the double?? I'm 6'1" and ~145 lbs. Is there another hammock around $50 at REI that's better? Looking for all opinions, both positive and negative! :D

2. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I prefer the double nest to the single. ENO is a solid buy

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

kye4some and backwater-otter like this.
  3. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Reason??:) I knew that you'd chime in! I know that any advice given by you is solid!! I'm in FL, so the bug net and rain fly will be necessary. I'm going to make a rainfly though. Also, are the slapstraps worth it?

4. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I like the double cause it wraps around you a lot more which keeps out bugs and elements and keeps in warmth. The wife and I also sit in it sideways, like a park bench, around during the campfire and it's nice. The single just felt too small and I'm only 5'8". I didn't waste my time on the straps. I just repurposed some old climbing runners and webbing and made bombproof straps for cheap. See photos below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

5. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Yup, I was planning on doing the same for straps...The doublenest is only 8-10 bucks more expensive, and I've got 20% off plus a $2 member thing. I think I can make it all work with my giftcard. We shall see! How true are the colors to the site?? I'm debating getting a really crazy bright color, like orange, or going subdued. What's the one above??? I'm guessing OD and Tan.

6. kye4some

kye4some
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

The ENO is a solid hammock I’ve had the double for around 10 years now and going strong even with my little ones swinging in it every time they get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk