Hard case with foam.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Paul M, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Paul M

Paul M
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I picked up the Canadian Tire version of a Pelican case the other day. It uses the same pick and pluck foam, has the same construction and features of a Pelican, including being waterproof and dustproof, at only $89 CAD on sale. It's 16 3/4" X 14 3/8" X 6 1/4" inside.
    I got the idea from pictures on Bladeforums.

20170104_061751.jpg 20170104_062858.jpg
    I like it.

#1 Paul M, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    locked-out, mctacticool, dmak and 2 others like this.
  2. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Big fan of pelican cases. I have a lot of them.

Luck is the by-product of preparation and opportunity colliding. Stay Lucky!

mctacticool likes this.
  3. AdmSlc

AdmSlc
    Expand Collapse
    Stay Sharp!

Nice. I'm sure it will help protect them. I've got all mine stacked on top of each other, I'm sure mine are getting beat up.

4. lightning

lightning
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

yup, I went this route years ago, and managed to fit the entire collection in it at one point.

The group out grew the case in short order and now houses only most of my folders. Fixed blades are mostly in a second pelican case now.

[​IMG]

sk33tr and mctacticool like this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

They sell a $20 case at Sams that is not terrible for the price.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They are no Pelican for sure but then no Pelican is $20 either!

I am being Flooded right now in Mo. and have a 7'x10' cargo trailer pretty much full of loaded Pelican cases on high ground waiting to go back home.
    Lots of Storm and SKB cases too!

#5 EZDog, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    sk33tr, lightning and mctacticool like this.
  6. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i've been wanting to make one of these similar to the taurus first 24 case. i'd like to put in a semi-auto pistol w/light, extra mags, paddle holster, multitool, folding knife, fixed-blade knife (in a sheath), flashlight, extra batteries for lights, knife sharpener, fire steel and striker, some paracord, and emergency (space) blanket.

it'd basically be like a mini bug-out kit, but nothing too in-depth. just something for that just-in-case moment, should it ever arise. basically something easy to grab and go, along with my bag, if ever needed. so all the stuff inside would never be used unless absolutely necessary.

mctacticool likes this.
  7. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I have one that's stuffed full of tools and recovery equipment (straps, winch-line extensions, snatch-block, shackles, Hi-Lift climber, drilling hammer, wrenches). Mine weighs 107 pounds. I strap it into the cargo area of my vehicle.

The seal on the edge is the fragile area. You don't have a problem if you're not overloading it. But if you pinch something in the seal area, it can smash the plastic surrounding the o-ring and compromise the seal. I'm not talking about a wrench (you'd have to be pretty careless not to notice that), but just the edge of a nylon or canvas bag for example).

sk33tr and mctacticool like this.
  8. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

wow! 107 lbs!!! that ain't light, lol.

something like that isn't just a "grab and go" sort of thing. more like a "make sure you have a good grip on it; get a good stance; and make sure to lift with your knees", lol.

mctacticool likes this.