Help with editing posts?

Discussion in 'Forum Rules, Etiquette and FAQ' started by Shorttime, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Shorttime

Shorttime
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Every time I put up one of those knife review posts, I find something I want to edit when I re-read it.

But I keep getting an error, and I'm not allowed to edit my post.

Is this something other people have had trouble with? I run an adblocker and a proxy utility, which causes some obscure errors, so it could be on my end.

2. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Charter Member

I'll check some settings to see if the server is blocking your edit requests.

3. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I made a few server changes. See if you can edit your post now.

4. Shorttime

Shorttime
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Sorry, Mike. Still not working. Says it encountered an internal error, or a misconfiguration, and that there may be more information about it in the server error log.

I also want to thank you for the fast response! I'm nuthin special, so it means a lot that you got to work on this less than fifteen minutes later. Would have to have been because there are only fifteen minutes between posts.

Now, if I would get on the stick about checking back. I think I was distracted looking at knives. :oops:

EDCP-MIKE likes this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

[removed]

ETA: it seems to open the edit window for me.

ETA2: edits hold for me. Could it be a user specific thing or is it on the user side?

6. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Are edits not working for you either?

7. Shorttime

Shorttime
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I think edits are working for Moostapha. He's trying to make sure we've covered all the possible reasons why the editing function is glitching for me.

EDCP-MIKE likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yep.

I just did some edits here to test it, since I obviously don't have access to any kind of dev/test site for edcp.

They all worked right for me, which kind of implies it's browser-specific to Shorttime or config-specific to his user on the server.

IIRC, there is a way in XenForo to limit editing based on user tiers, account age, or post count. We're different tiers (user titles) and have different post counts, but they're about the same age. And I don't know how it's set up.

I was just trying to help a little where I could so the admins might have to do less trouble-shooting. But, I don't really have any idea why it'd be working like that.

EDCP-MIKE likes this.
  9. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Okay. I made a few more changes. Please see if you can edit your posts now.

10. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.

11. Shorttime

Shorttime
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Still a no-go. Same error message.

I'm starting to believe that this is on my end, Mike. I run Firefox, with Adblocker. I've encountered problems with other programs, from minor glitches, to full-on crash, because Adblocker sits between my browser, and the rest of the web, looking at content as it comes in. This annoys some programs, and I'm concerned that too many alterations to the forum's base code could cause problems for other people.

Since it seems like I'm the only one who is having trouble, and it won't resolve easily, don't worry about it. I am going to use it as an opportunity to be more careful about proofreading, before I press the "post" key.

Mike, thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

EDCP-MIKE likes this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm also using Firefox and AdBlocker, so I don't think that's the issue.

I've been meaning to drop AdBlocker, though. I have a Raspberry Pi sitting around, and I want to get PiHole up and running, but the router AT&T "gave" me doesn't allow me to configure the DNS the way I need to, so it would still require a per-computer setup. And the "extra" router I have lying around to solve that problem "works" except that my wife's computers/devices all drop their connections multiple times/day.

I might just give up on that, let us use different routers, and just block the ads from my side, since they don't seem to bother her as much.

Sorry...just thinking out lout about dumb IT-ish things.

EDCP-MIKE likes this.
  13. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'll keep checking user permissions. To be fair EDC Planet is due for some serious updates. Hopefully, I can get those completed before the end of the month.

nolaradio and Shorttime like this.