Jek's Gear and Random Malarkey

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by Sharaz_Jek, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

2. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Had a great show New Years Eve and can't put the Tele down lately. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I just got a Tele for my Father in Law. It was hard to give it to him cause I wanted to keep it in my collection. Love the sound

mctacticool likes this.
  4. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I used to play a Les Paul. Loved the warm tone but my hands aren't what the used to be. A Tele is easier to play and you can make it sound like a steel guitar with a slide and good effects.

mctacticool likes this.
  5. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Your speaking my language. I'm a Gibson guy. I prefer my SG to the Les Paul though. Realistically though, it's my J45 acoustic that I play the most. Her voice is very sexy.

mctacticool likes this.
  6. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I had an SG once way back in the day. The band I was in at the time was really into the skater punk scene. So many great memories with so many good bands.

The SG and me playing at the Lewisburg CC.
    [​IMG]

The only pic I have of me with the Les.

[​IMG]

#26 Sharaz_Jek, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    dmak, mctacticool and nolaradio like this.
  7. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

My current front woman, Cat at pre-show dinner on NYE. I just don't play with a full band anymore, though. You get too many people emotionally involved in making music and it can be a complete nightmare. At this stage in my life, just me and a talented female vocalist/songwriter works best.

[​IMG]

We've been making music since eighth grade. She is funny as hell and does great impressions. I've been trying to get her to do some stand up comedy in our sets but she's not too keen on the idea. I'll just have to be persistent. There was a time when she wouldn't even get on stage and sing.

My other bandmate who I play with occasionally. She's got a great RNB voice where Cat is more RIOTGIRRRRRRL! but can sing a ballad that will break your heart too. I'm fortunate to have grown up with seriously talented people.

[​IMG]

#27 Sharaz_Jek, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Kerberos, Savoy1, nolaradio and 2 others like this.
  8. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Just ordered... Inbound... Always wanted one of these.

[​IMG]

Kerberos, Savoy1 and mctacticool like this.
  9. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

We had some crazy weather last night and tonight. Yesterday, torrential rain the flooded all of the small streams and water over the road in a lot of places. They're shutting down roads and then last night it dumped about five inches of snow so the water over the roads is frozen in most places. The water is still rising this morning and they're evacuating people from their homes. Been glued to the radio scanners all morning. Never seen a cluster f--k like this before.

The current state of the West Branch Susquehanna River near Woolrich, PA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#29 Sharaz_Jek, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Savoy1 and mctacticool like this.
  10. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Stay safe, mate.

mctacticool likes this.
  11. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Thanks, man. Thankfully I didn't have to travel much today. From what I'm hearing on my scanners, it sounds like things have settled down. I just feel bad for all the people who have to deal with property damage.

Since I don't vape anymore, I found a perfect use for the case. My tech accessories all fit nicely in it.

[​IMG]

12. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

13. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Okay, maybe you guys can help me figure out what this is. I was going through a box of my pap's things and I found this case. It's too thin to be a cigarette case. I thought it might be some sort of wallet. I do know it was a gift to him fry my great grandmother when she traveled around the world. It's neat whatever it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

In case you ever wondered what an ice jam looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nolaradio, Tabasco, Kerberos and 2 others like this.
  15. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Did up a sketch of Tank Girl last night with my two favorite drawing instruments. A Staedtler chuck and the Pentel P205.

[​IMG]

nolaradio, QuodErat, Tabasco and 4 others like this.
  16. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

WOOT! Finally arrived! Been wanting one of these since middle school.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Apparently, we have a lot of overlapping hobbies...

Getting my music computer and room setup has me playing my G&L Legacy again...a little. Man, I've lost a lot of skill over the last couple years. Also, none of my guitar amps work (the only ones I had left were super cheap). On the bright side, Ableton Live's amp/cab emulation is pretty darn good...it sounds like a recording of a good tone, not having an amp in the room. But still....

I should find a new guitar teacher. Mine moved back to the phillipines a few years ago.

Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  18. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I'm not nearly as skilled at guitar as I used to be too. I just can't play much because of nerve damage and arthritis in my hands. Either Cat, Michelle, or I have to do antics between songs so my hands can rest a bit before the next song. It's insanely frustrating. I'm thinking about taking up piano and picking up a decent keyboard/synth, learning how to do drum tracks, etc. and taking up making digital music. I could also add my own guitar an bass to the mix too. Just need to find someone to teach me how to do all that.

Decided I wanted to use an old desktop I had for a dedicated radio computer. HP DCS5100. Very solid legacy machine and perfect for the job since it allows audio pass-through from the mic and line in jacks so I can monitor the audio coming in off the radios. It even has a built in speaker. Currently set up for packet/APRS, and all sorts of HF digital modes (Sorcerer, FL-Digi, MultiPSK, MSSTV, DigTRX, etc).

Fought with it for two days trying to install drivers compatible with XP and finally said "heck with it" and installed Windows 7. After that everything was easy peasy.

[​IMG]

mctacticool likes this.
  19. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I can probably help with that a little. I know a hell of a lot more about the technical side than the creative side, though.

I've been toying with it almost as long as I've been DJing (so...like 14 years), though I have almost nothing to show for it.

The good news is that if you agree with me, you'll end up spending a lot less on gear...and a lot more on sound treatments. (Warning: I'm also kind of a digital audio zealot apart from a few specific things).

mctacticool likes this.
  20. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Yeah. I'm on a budget now until the season starts in Skagway again but if I find a deal on a decent keyboard to get started with I'll pick it up. I do have a midi keyboard I should start get serious about using.

New addition to the ham shack. Second hand store find. Love the retro design of it.

[​IMG]