Mctacticools Gear and Ramblings

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by mctacticool, Sep 4, 2015.

1. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

No, it was the diffraction.

I read about it at some point in some forum that probably put way too much emphasis on technical minutia that flat-out doesn't matter. You know...just like basically every forum about every hobby that is the least bit technical.

mctacticool and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

So Verisure was 'meeh'... Just not a right fit... To much 'staff monitoring'... Can't deal with that...

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  3. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

To everyone on EDC Planet i wish you and your families a very merry christmas...

[​IMG]

4. charlie fox

charlie fox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Your picture? Awesome job!

mctacticool likes this.
  5. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Yes it is, taken with my iPhone... Mildly tuned in Snapseed...

Its from the Christmas Fair in Tivoli Gardens Copenhagen...

6. charlie fox

charlie fox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

All that cool new camera gear and you took this with your iPhone?! @Ben Rubinstein help me out here buddy:rolleyes:;)

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  7. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Oh no my dslr is 15 years old, didn't bring a tripod somi couldn't get a decent picture because it was to dark...

8. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Phones are blooming good these days to be honest.

mctacticool and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...it's kind of insane.

For the longest time, "pro" camera gear didn't make better pictures, it just made the same good pictures in more challenging conditions (fast subjects, high dynamic range lighting, etc.) than simpler cameras were capable of (mostly due to a lack of controls). Most of the time when I get in that conversation IRL, I pull out my phone and take a portrait that looks like I used lights. The only time it doesn't work is if it's especially dark out. That picture was probably taken a little earlier in the night than is immediately apparant. But that would be true for most pro setups too...looks just a bit after golden hour to me.

Smart phones have gotten insanely good at that. They're still not good at action/speed. But, I swear Apple at least figured out selective auto-ISO a few years ago.

10. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I find it interesting just how much we like ambient like images because it's far closer to how we are used to seeing stuff in real life. Artificially lit scenes look incredible when done well but never look natural. The ability to take high iso images with a natural looking high dynamic range and significant depth of field is not challenging photography. It's instead returning to how our eyes see things in real time or at least how our mind perceives it. Something that photography as a genre has struggled with (after all it started in black and white, we don't see in black and white!) and eventually turned to its own advantage as a specific art form. Smartphone imagery is a new genre to my eye. It's not photography at all. It's far closer to 'realography'. The only limitation left with a foot in the past has been lens perspective and there comes the iphone X and challenges just that limitation.

Personally as a photographer I'm delighted with this new imagery genre. It will hopefully make imagery so real that us photographers can do and differentiate ourselves with what we have always excelled at. Lying with the camera. Painting with light. Creating the dream. Anything but cold realism which was never that convincing anyway.

QuodErat, Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, the funny thing about that whole statement...and I'm sure you remember these days...was "way back in the day" when you had to use artificial lighting and camera tricks to make things look natural.

As long as it's neither too dark nor too fast, smart phones do that far better than they have any right to.

And we all get to look at better pictures because of it.

12. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Fully agree. Problem was, all the tricks we used with lighting. We were too good at it. As a result the mind still rebelled, it couldn't believe that it was real. Or if it was badly done, it just looked bad.

13. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

@moostapha

It was about 1 hour after sunset but there is a lot artificial light there...

As for slow shutter speeds on a smartphone, well there is an app for that called Slowshutter...

Examples from Crete last year...

Native iPhone 6s plus camera...
    [​IMG]

Slowshutter app...
    [​IMG]

14. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Best camera I’ve ever owned!

15. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

The best camera a person can own is the one set person always EDC...

Nekolf, nolaradio, QuodErat and 2 others like this.
  16. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Spoils of christmas so far:

From the Mrs, 1 gym bag filled with proteinrich snacks, a waterbottle, a shaker, some protein drinks, a training t-shirt and a pair of Awei stereo bluetooth in-ear headphones...

From my sister: A decorative chubby moose...

From my dad and bonus mom: a new jack and a foamgun...

From my inlaws: The new Volbeat CD and a book about the danish special warfare teams: The Jaeger Corps and The Frogmen...

From my SIL and her family: A Lamy Safari fountain pen with extra ink and a 2-pak of Instax film...

From my BIL and his family: We got a giftcertificate to the cinema...

From my sisters dad: 2 bottles of wine and a box of chocolates...

From our friends (the only friends we exchange gifts with): A bottle of Makers Mark bourbon, a boardgame called Bang, its about the old west and a fidget spinner...

Tomorrow we're meeting up with my grandmother and her husband at the big holiday lunchin at my dads house...

I got the Mrs some lingerie, right size and all and a boardgame that she wanted...

The dog got his share of toys and treats, we're set for another year of doggie-treats...

17. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I had my own photography business for a time and I found that some places could care less if I was walking taking pictures and others would kick me off property as soon as o broke out a tripod. Most of those were historic buildings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Some places will do that, mostly because of the firecode...

Ben Rubinstein and GJWeinheimer like this.
  19. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Well... yes and no. As it turns out a lot of places want their cut. If you plan to use the images to make money they want to make sure that you pay them up front. Yes I have personally seen that. For a long time I carried an extensive camera bag with a series of 2.8 lenses and big Nikon F5 bodies. More than once I was asked to stop shooting tripod or no. Years later I started carrying a little Canon G series digital camera with me and I was never bothered even when I shot off camera flash. I was told a couple times that it was fire code but that's not always it. On the flip side I shot the big flood some Years back in Reno Nevada and nobody stopped me from going anywhere because they thought I was press and while I did wind up selling some stuff I was never asked to show credentials. There are positives and negatives to everything but for the most part I enjoyed shooting professionally, I didn't like the business side much. I hope your images bring you as much joy in their creation as mine did.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  20. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I use photography as a way to decompress, when work or life in general gets to stressfull i grab my gear and go shooting... I'm not planning on monetizing it, i don't think it'll be a good idea to monetize my de-stresser...