Moostapha's edc

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by moostapha, Jan 29, 2016.

1. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, I got rear ended. Hit and run. I decided to wait and get a police report for insurance so maybe they won't raise my rates....and because there was another 5-car accident five minutes after mine.

Police response time for the other accident was ~75 minutes.

No one came for mine.

EMS, fire, and roadside assistance trucks left an hour before the cops showed up.

Remember....the cavalry isn't coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_G likes this.
  2. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

Sorry to hear that! I hope you're OK, it is worth a doctor visit, in my experience. I know your back doesn't need any more issues.

QuodErat and moostapha like this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

It would be worth it if the guy who hit me had stuck around.

I'll probably pay my chriopractor a visit next week to be on the safe side, but it feels about the same now as it did before, just a little more tense. So, I'm just going to sleep on the floor for a couple days and let it stretch out. I typically do better sleeping on the floor anyway (and let my wife monopolize a king size bed with one of the dogs).

BTDubs....there were a lot of other things going on even in that area. There were 3 wrecks within about 10 minutes, and mine was the only one that didn't require EMS transport. EMS response time was awesome, less than 5 minutes (we were around the corner from a trauma center, so that makes sense).

It was 148 minutes from my call to the cop taking my statement.

148 minutes.

I know a wreck with obvious fault that they'll never be able to track down isn't exactly a high priority, but still....that's a bit ridiculous even for Atlanta.

QuodErat and Lou_G like this.
  4. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Holy crap... Hope you're ok ?? No dashcam pointed backwards ??

5. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Sounds like this happened in New Orleans. I know some people that were told to exchange information and that the NOPD would call them the next day to complete a report. A week later, they had to go into the local precinct to file the report after no one contacted them.

moostapha likes this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah. I'm fine. No dashcam. They're actually not all that common in the US. I'm thinking about getting one at some point.

Also, apparently my emergency flashers will run down my battery in 2 hours. Fortunately, one of the dudes involved in one of the other wrecks was available to give me a jump (I had cables, at least). I need to invest in one of those handheld battery jump things. Or...do the ones that plug into a cigarette lighter actually work?

Also...if the battery dies, the driver's door is the only one on my car that will open from the outside. There seems to be no way to get into the trunk without climbing through the car. Thanks, modern technology. You're really good at solving problems no one has. I'm still not sure what was wrong with old fashioned keys, at least as a backup.

I'm going to be pissed if insurance says I didn't need the police report. I'll probably deal with that BS this weekend.

Oh yeah, and my car still drives fine, but I think I'm looking at every single warning light. Last time that happened, it was the sensor that detects the driver pushing the brake pedal...so, not worried. But, it's kinda dumb.

7. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

1. Glad that your ok...

2. I run a cheapo actioncam in my car, has a dashcam feature, stores on micro sd and charges via micro-usb...

3. I wouldn't trust anything to jump start a car via the cigarette lighter, get one of those massive powerbanks that'll jumpstart a big dieseltruck and your set...

4. I don't know much about subarus (guessing you still have it), however around the drivers side doorhandle there should be a little plasticcover to pop off and behind that there'll be an oldschool keyhole, don't know if this will help with only the drivers side door but if the rest of the locks are purely electrical i'm guessing it won't...

moostapha likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Thanks.

And, yeah, that's how I got into the car. There's actually not a cover on mine. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to start the car unless the remote fob is working.

I've had cars before where you could bump start it (manual transmissions) and get it to work even with a dead battery as long as you could physically turn the key to the "on" position. I get that you can't bump start a CVT and that this problem was just a dead battery....but it's pretty sad that my whole damn car relies on a CR1632 powering a radio.

QuodErat and mctacticool like this.
  9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I suspect the built in anti theft system might be wired in with the signal from the keyfob..??

10. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Not entirely true. If you put the "dead" fob
    (even with battery missing from fob) directly over the push button the car should start. Proximity won't work until fob is fixed but close contact to the start button will allow the car to start in most cases.

One of the many reasons I don't like proximity krys

11. QuodErat

QuodErat
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope you're ok, bro

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'll have to try that.

Does that mean there's something like passive rfid in addition to the powered radio?

mctacticool likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, I have kind of been waiting to post this because it's a little weird...but....

I went shooting one more time to test a few things. And while I was waiting for my silencer to cool off, I burned through a few more rounds with it off. And I realized....

With the sole exception of how quickly the sound will do damage if I have to shoot without ear pro, literally every single thing about shooting my mk18 is worse with the silencer than without it.

Weight and balance, obviously. But also the shape and speed of the recoil, the feel of the recoil impulse, how quickly the gun settles, maneuvering in close quarters, being able to leave the range without sitting around for half an hour, fitting it in smaller bags, carrying it in a car...

And it still isn't actually hearing safe with the silencer, especially not inside.

And the stupid muzzle break is a HUGE trade off just to make the can last longer...it's so damn loud without it, and the concussion is crazy.

As with everything else, mission dictates gear. There are POUs that silencers make sense for...basically anything inherently reactive or where the risk to random bystanders' hearing is great.

Unfortunately, home defense is the only one that's really viable, at least when it comes to rifles in my life. And hunting, I guess. But I never planned to use 5.56 for that.

I'm a lot less enamored with it than I used to be.

I should really get a blast shield for that brake....see what kind of balance that strikes. But, I'm almost to the point that I wouldn't replace it if something happened to it.

dmak and Lou_G like this.