Moostapha's edc

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by moostapha, Jan 29, 2016.

1. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

More or less.

YT policies have been even crazier since then, so I'm not sure if the uphill battle is going to be worth doing the rest of it. But the results of the party were that I unpacked almost nothing of importance.

The guns came out because they're not worth enough to bother selling.

A lot of the smaller edc stuff came out because it's not that big of a deal to leave in a bin, and there are reasons to have them.

Some of the tax gear got stashed places.

I have a box of stuff I won't mind trading that I throw in the car to go to classes and training days...one or two more, and I'll probably trash what's left (nothing worth selling).

And I threw away a surprising amount of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mctacticool likes this.
  2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Got a soft armor plate carrier in surplus ?? Or anything else interesting ??

moostapha likes this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Nope. Sadly. It's a bunch of little pieces that certainly aren't worth shipping.

dmak and mctacticool like this.
  4. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Bummer...

dmak and moostapha like this.
  5. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Back in the early 90's, I did some mobile dj'ing with a buddy of mine. I still have hundreds of CD's that I bought for just one song. I would have killed to have my collection on a hard drive. We literally lugged around anywhere from 300 to 600 CD's for a gig depending on what it was. When we were able to burn our own CD's, we were able to cut that down a good bit but we still carried around a lot of music.
    I think if I were to do it again today, I could probably get by with a couple of powered speakers and an old 180GB iPod.

6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...I started on vinyl. One song weighed several ounces and cost $12.

I've never really done the mobile thing. It just never appealed to me. I've also only ever been to one event with a mobile, top40, or open format DJ that I actually enjoyed. Fortunately, it was my wedding. The guy cared about what he did, meticulously followed both our "play" and "do not play" lists, and was perfectly happy to buy half the music on our play list (their 30k song library wasn't extensive enough).

The one time I was convinced to do it was for a friend's wedding. And I used a spotify playlist she created for it. All I was doing was watching the energy in the room and re-arranging it as appropriate.

I don't really judge other people's taste in music. But when it comes to DJs....I'm an elitist prick. It's actually slightly frustrating. I have a friend who plays several nights a week at local clubs. But, all he plays is top40 and "remixes". He's said things about wanting to work together, and I can't find a polite way of saying "I'm not interested in anything you do."

dmak and mctacticool like this.
  7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I know this isn't the best place for it, but I made a small upgrade (I hope) to my DJ gear...

[​IMG]

The downside is that those controllers have layers (meaning the controls do different things based on states of other controls). And, I've always disliked layers. But, the upside is that I don't have to look at the computer screen nearly as much and they can do basically anything I want to do. And the table looks cleaner. Initial impressions are great...

Sharaz_Jek, Lou_G, QuodErat and 2 others like this.
  8. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I know I'm really behind but hope you're ok in the long term after the hit and run and that the insurance didn't cause you problems.

moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah. It didn't screw up my back again (afaik), and insurance even sent me a check for decreased value. It was only a couple hundred bucks, but at least it was something.

I almost got creamed the other day again. It was about half a mile as the crow flies from where I got rear-ended and about 100 yards from where someone just drove into my car a few years ago. Dumb girl who looked stresed and hurried literally tried to change lanes into me, without a blinker, without looking, when I could still see her in the driver's seat through my passenger window.

Fortunately, I knew there was no-one on the other side of me.

The funny thing...when I honked at her, she didn't look at me then either.

And this was in tight, 30mph city traffic.

IDK what was going on with her.

I wonder if Atlanta drivers are getting worse or if that car just attracts them.

mctacticool, Lou_G and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  10. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I've had 'mondaymodels' of cars... Had an old BMW E36, that car was a shitmagnet... had it 11 months, 1 accident, 10k $$ in other repairs, getting pulled over constantly... Could be your car just has bad karma...

moostapha likes this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I sure hope not. Overall, it's been a great car. It's just been to body shops twice from being rear-ended, needed light modifications to keep the rear gate from pissing me off, and seems to just get ignored by people in traffic. It's fast enough, nimble enough, big enough, etc., otherwise.

I was quite frustrated when I had to change the oil before the road trip to Arkansas, though. I couldn't get an appointment for someone else to do it, and the drain plug was so damn tight that a 3-foot breaker bar just damaged the bolt instead of loosening it. But, I had a valve installed, so that shouldn't be a problem moving forward.

mctacticool likes this.
  12. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That is some serious over-tightening of the oil drainage bolt... What color is it ?? I remember reading somewhere that colors in the light grey/silver spectrum is the easiest color to miss... Its just to anonymous to register for some people...

moostapha likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Silver underneath, black on top...could be road gunk or some kind of finish...either way, all the wrench did was take it off.

Now, it's got one of these:

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VCB9WC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...haven't used it yet, but it's not leaking so far. It does stick out farther, but it's protected to at least some degree by the skid plate, and there's a full coverage version if I decide to actually take the car off road that I'd do anyway.

Next oil change should just be a matter of setting up, flipping a switch, and goofing off while it drains.

Sharaz_Jek, Lou_G and mctacticool like this.
  14. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Never seen one of those taps before... But then again i've never had a drainage bolt that was that stuck...

I meant the color of your car...??

moostapha likes this.
  15. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Oh....it's bright blue.

mctacticool likes this.
  16. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I have no reasonable explanation about how/why your car has such bad luck, there just isn't any...

#256 mctacticool, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    moostapha and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  17. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

In the 5 months since I bought my new car it has been hit 4 times. All whilst parked properly outside my house. 3 scrapes on 3 out of the 4 corners and someone also managed to back into the middle of the license plate bending the bumper inwards and popping it off the connectors on both sides. I park well, the car is white so visible and small so it's not taking up too much space. Driving is rather 'Italian' over here.

One of the guys who scraped a corner (the latest one) left his number, an elderly French gentleman (he really did sound like a proper gentleman). I spoke to him once but then I was dealing with all the pain and surgeries and haven't had a chance to talk to him again.

moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  18. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Merry Christmas, to all those who celebrate it.

Also, I shot a 1911 the other day (some nighthawk 9mm thing) for the first time in a year or two.

Holy crap...2 FTFs and dropped the mag 3 times because I'm left handed and my grip just pushes the button.

I made myself shoot those 10 rounds, but....I'm done with them for good.

Also, I'm carrying a 34 for a while now. I like it even better than the 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

@moostapha I'm thinking of getting the Vertx rifle messenger bag. Found one for $80. Is it worth it? How do you like yours?

mctacticool likes this.
  20. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, dmak actually texted me and got the information, but for anyone else...

I like mine a lot. It's really easy to overload it and make it unbearably heavy. It also suffers from the same anti-tardis feeling of all of the vertx bags.

But, it's about the most discrete rifle bag out there.

It'll fit my mk18 either with the can off or with a law folder. I've been able to fit a chest rig in it no problem and can squeeze my plate carrier in in a pinch. I've also used it to travel with an AR, but I don't recommend that unless you pack really light.

mctacticool likes this.