Moostapha's edc

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by moostapha, Jan 29, 2016.

1. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Mine should be here next week sometime. Thanks for the recommendation.

moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  2. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, random update.

I know I'm kind of been a ghost (it's not intentional) and somewhat negative when I do post, but....

I'm never buying another Apple product. I've finally run into one too many things that doesn't work with USB-C with an adapter. I'm about to have to buy a copy of windows if I want to reprogram my harmony remote. Or install junk software on my hackintosh (which I really don't want to do).

I get that Apple thinks they're all forward thinking and innovative. But, they're not. They're good at marketing. They used to be good for audio (except a few OS X versions that never had working CoreAudio). I don't think they're good at anything anymore.

I'm also not upgrading the Harmony when it dies.

And, I'll flat out switch to a woodburning stove and oil lamps before I'll install smart(sic) appliances that require an internet connection.

I used to be forward thinking. I used to be a technophile. Now...I'm going to become a damn recluse by the time I'm 40. At least I don't care about my lawn.

Tabasco, Kerberos, Sharaz_Jek and 3 others like this.
  3. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Yeah i don’t think that apple thought usb-c through before implementing it... And i can see how thats beyond just annoying with what you need...

Personally i like iphones and ipads more than their android counterparts, but thats because it works for me and the use i have...

I’m with you on the internet connected homedevices, having lights, camera’s, smart tv’s, wifi connected ‘whatevers’ can be hacked and it is major security concern for me...

Wanna go half-sies on a cabin in the woods somewhere ?? Because thats how i see my life going...

moostapha and Hi-Up Lineman like this.
  4. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I'll never buy a modern Apple product. They're overpriced, and they rip you off left right and center. They throttle back their iPhones according to how old the battery its (planned obsolescence), heck you can't even change the batteries. However, I do want an Apple II for my vintage computer collection and I remember when the first Macintosh arrived in the elementary school library around 1986 and was blown away by the GUI and the audio. Prior to that the only computers I had used were the Apple II, Atari 800 XL. and the Commodore 64 (Which I had at home and still have). When I went to school for graphic design everything was Mac. Mostly PowerMac G4s with the dreaded hockey puck mouse. Those things crashed left right and center. At that time I had a home built PC with a 800 Mhz Intel processor, 256 Mb RAM, and 20 Gb hard drive, Windows 98SE, and I did as many of my assignments on that as I could. So yeah, I'm a PC guy now and strictly run Linux except for my amateur radio computers which I run on XP. As for phones, I'm on the fence between /\/\otorola and Samsung.

5. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, the harmony app doesn't work on my hackintosh either. I'm pretty sure that I'm actually just going to give up on it and go back to using separate remotes (maybe duct-taped together...gaff tape if I'm feeling fancy). The thing was awesome, but none of the labels have been right for almost 3 years, and there are things it won't start. And apparently I can't add them. Apparently, it may or may not be a USB issue. There's always a bit of an unknown when it comes to dealing with a hackintosh, but fairly demanding audio stuff works just fine. There's no way that remote is more demanding than what I normally run off it. But, it's probably built a lot worse.

I still think USB-C is stupid. Or, at least abandoning the A plugs was stupid. Even more stupid than abandoning the headphone jack on the iPhone. In both cases, I think the reason given was to make things a little smaller (and correspondingly more fragile or more expensive to manufacture at the same strength). The real reason was probably to sell adapters. But what ends up happening is that literally everything I want to plug into it needs to run through an adapter except the power cable. And it'll be that way for years....probably until they've moved on to USB-D and Thunderbolt 4 running on a connector that is only held on by magnets.

I really can't stand iOS. It took me switching from iOS to Android and then back to figure that out, but I can't think of one single thing they do better besides exit in Apple's ecosystem.

As for the computers...apparently music on Windows is still slightly more complicated. I guess I'm at the mercy of hoping they get their sh*t together before Apple figures out how to make hackintoshes not work.

We do have some theoretically smart devices (mostly blu-ray players and I think one of the TVs), but except for the PS3, they're all air-gapped from the Internet. I haven't gone so far as to replace microphones and built-in speakers with resistors, but I'm pretty sure it'll happen at some point.

I'm curious about a cabin in the middle of nowhere. But, I'm years away from being able to do it from a financial standpoint (wife absolutely has to work near Atlanta) and certainly from a "really want to" standpoint.

Tabasco, Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...I don't think I've been happy with a single decision Apple has made since they switched from PowerPC to Intel. That was a good decision.

I'm a little younger than you, but I basically started computers with pre-GUI Apples, win 3 at home, win 95 through 2000 at school and home, then XP sucked and I switched to linux until I got into computer music...went back to Win XP for a few months and then switched to OS X until I got fed up with it and switched back to Linux for everything except music. For a long time, my MacBook or MBP was running literally nothing except VMware and music software. Since 2012 I've had 2 laptops (and recently 2 desktops) just because dual-booting is a pain and literally always using a virtual machine for normal things on buggy hardware felt dumb. Music stuff has mostly always worked, but I think I had more major system faults while I was supposed to be playing in front of people on OS X than I ever have on linux for any reason (other than kernel panics when I was learning to code in C).

And while none of my PCs (I count the hackintosh) have been particularly budget builds, they were all at least $800 cheaper than a comparable Apple and have caused functionally zero hardware issues...I'm not sure if this particular hackintosh install can run updates, but there are ways around that....all that compared to crazy things like going through 4 MacBooks from warranty replacements and literally having no idea what it's like to have a functional optical drive on a Mac...I think I've cut open the box on 7 Apple laptops since 2005 (more than half of them in 2007 alone IIRC) and literally zero of them have had a functional optical drive straight out of the box.

It got to the point that with the last one, I literally ordered an SSD and a drive caddy to replace the optical drive at the same time I ordered the laptop, knowing the optical drive wouldn't work when it came in. And, I was right. The first CD I put in it wouldn't read and got stuck (did it just to see).

I am 100% convinced that Lenovo just makes better hardware in the laptop world (I have had zero experience with any other manufacturer than IBM and Lenovo) and building a desktop just flat-out gives you a better product.

But, I also haven't used windows seriously since 2004. And it costs more than I think it should. And it's fugly. And unless I'm mistaken, there's no good way to run bash or zsh on it. And I have literally no idea how the innards of the system work. Hell, I don't even know how to set up a dev environment on it. The only time I've had to even think about it, I was doing back end development (on linux, hosted on Azure) for windows phone several years ago.

But, well....all I need it for is Traktor, Rekordbox, Ableton, and iTunes. And I can just run archlinux under hyper-v for everything else.

#266 moostapha, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Tabasco and mctacticool like this.
  7. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I’m also many years away from being able to buy my own home... A cabin in the woods style home is high on the list... Very high...

I found an old forest rangers service residence for lease yesterday, very cheap but the location was 2 hours away from our current lives and thats just to far...

Tabasco and moostapha like this.
  8. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Yes. Mac switching to Intel processors from /\/\otorola processors was a very good decision. Their machines were much more stable after that. OSX is really just a proprietary version of Gentoo Linux also. I've had great experience with Dell laptops. They can take some abuse and survive. In fact, I'm using an Inspirion 500m for digital modes on amateur radio and that thing has got to be at least 16 years old. Any time I find an old machine for free or dirt cheap, I pick it up. You need serial ports for radio control in a lot of cases.

Tabasco, moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  9. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

When it comes to computers, I am retarded. I haven't used a PC for personal use in years, with the exception of backing up photos and videos. All of my personal computing is done via Android now. It's easy and I don't have heavy usage requirements. Just pictures, movies and music really. The wife and I canceled TV and internet a few months back and have only had our phones. It's nice, I read a lot more than I use to and I find that I have a lot more time for projects. I see myself avoiding technology more and more everyday.

As funny as it sounds, I just acquired an old wood burning stove. It was a random freebie a buddy and I found in the scrap yard. Now I just have to install it.

10. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

You’re gonna love that wood burning stove... I know i love mine...

We only have on-demand tv via our apple tv, haven’t had a ‘tv subscription’ for years... We do have internet at home otherwise our apple tv isn’t functional...

Tabasco, moostapha and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm not sure who told you that, but it's completely wrong. OS X doesn't use the Linux kernel, gnu tools, or even portage and has nothing to do with the gentoo project. It's closer to OpenBSD, but they still forked the Mach kernel and wrote their own init system.

If OS X were GNU/Linux in disguise, I could fix all of the software problems and they wouldn't be able to tie it to their hardware even as much as they do.

It is its own thing and has been from the start. They just didn't start from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabasco and mctacticool like this.
  12. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I read that somewhere years ago. Appears I was wrong. Thanks for the correction.

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...I've seen a bunch of things like that. But, they took stuff from BSD projects rather than Linux (and actually released things they had to in accordance with FOSS licenses; they're just kind of buried). I'm not exactly sure why they chose BSD, but it's mostly worked.

Tabasco, Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  14. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

2 months and another random update.

EDC hasn't changed and doesn't vary from day to day very much. The only things that do are the knives (either my endura or ultratech and either my utx-70 or crkt folts minimalist) and whether or not I put my ear buds ($15 Sony things with comply comfort tips) in my pocket.

I'm getting close to the day my combat gauze expires, which makes me exited that I haven't had to respond to another GSW. I'm going to have a little party when it actually goes away, but I also don't want to jinx it.

I finally bought a new phone. Some android blackberry thing. It works a lot better than my 7 year old iphone.

I carry a 34 now. Long term, it'll be an MOS or milled if the aimpoint nano ever comes out. Now owning a comp m5, I'm just not convinced anything else really competes with aimpoint in the red dot world.

Overall, the shooting related stuff is working really well. And I'm not currently looking for anything. If some KAC ambi lowers fell into my lap, I'd take them. But, I'm in a really good place.

I got a job working in social media marketing specializing in the firearms and self defense industry. It's not a lot of money yet, but it's entertaining.

I'm also back in physical therapy, this time for my shoulder. Apparently I did more damage than I thought I did because my joints are really loose.

My hackintosh is still running great and has had no real problems. Over four years, and it's still the best osx experience I've had. Ever. At this point, I'll probably switch to Windows before I actually buy apple hardware again. But, that's probably not going to happen unless apple gets more aggressive about trying to stop it. And, it looks like they don't care. Apparently, a lot of people are happy with hardware they can't upgrade or fix and more adapters than peripherals.

I'm seriously thinking about getting into music mastering in a semi-pro context. The little bit I've done is insanely fun and gratifying.

To that end, I'm finally getting close to the studio/"stereo" upgrade that was supposed to happen when we moved here. Man.....the audiophile world is weird. Everybody has their opinions and preferences, very few of them are actually "wrong" in an objective way, and almost no one can explain where they come from in a way that means anything.

It's freaking annoying.

Anyway, I've decided on the DAC and controller (similar to a preamp), subwoofers, cables, stands, acoustic treatment upgrades, etc.....last choice is the FR speakers, and I'm down to two options. One from the hifi world and one from the studio world. To actually decide, I'm going to have to hear them in my room, and....well....i still haven't found anyone selling the hifi option that has an even reasonable demo / return policy. So, I think that makes my decision for me.

I hope everybody is doing well.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

dmak and mctacticool like this.
  15. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Great news on the job, care to share some social media accounts to follow ??

16. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I think my NDA actually prohibits that.

But, it's nothing huge. I mean, some of the companies we work with are pretty big. And I'm actually a big fan of one of my accounts. It's also not super-interesting. I don't think I followed any of them on my own.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

17. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Well bummer... But an NDA is an NDA...

18. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

New job is going well. The awesome thing is that I'm pretty sure I can script a lot of what I do.

Also, I broke down and bought a 27" 4K screen for my hackintosh. Well....it went a little better than the last time I tried to get 4K to work on OSX. As usual, linux just worked....gave it a modeline and everything was fine. Moving the graphics card into my hackintosh and then getting it to work took hours. In the end, it was a matter of disabling the onboard graphics and deleting a single kext that was screwing things up. But figuring that out....it seems like the hackintosh forums aren't actually good at fixing anything without resorting to reinstalling from scratch....which would take me days at this point.

The hiDPI scaling thing is actually pretty cool.

And I've got some extra inputs for when I finally break down and buy a PS4.

19. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

4k is no joke. I was at a buddies the other day and he has a Project Scorpio 4k Xbox on a 50" 4k screen and let me tell you the graphics are ridiculous. Played Forza and was blown away at how real the driving experience is becoming. Needless to say I was rather impressed with the graphics

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  20. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...we need to do that at some point. After my monitoring (stereo) is worked out, our next big project is a home theatre (which is a *lot* easier....and probably cheaper, because the sound doesn't have to be anywhere near as accurate as it does in my home studio...so decent-sounding cheap stuff like Emotiva and Elac are fine). It's mostly for movies, but it'll be based on a 50"ish 4k and will have a 4k game system as it's core.

Until that happens, I'll probably put it in my studio rack sitting on top of something sturdy. I'm just not sure what's required to break out the audio because I've only used it with 4K, and I don't want to just run unbalanced audio from the screen to the monitor controller if I can help it.

And we've already started buying 4k versions of movies if they also come with blu-ray or DVD.

As far as the screen itself....I like it. It's only a 27", so things are pretty small at native resoluton. When I was using the 40" at a distance of a couple feet, evetyhing was fine. But, the sides were a little wasted. This one, mostly I run it using hi-DPI scaling to look like 2560x1440 or 3008x1692. I kind of wish I could use it a little less scaled and *just* increase the text size for everyting. But, AFAIK, that's only possible on Linux.

The overall experience has actually made me a little more bitter about OS X. Despite how slick you can make it and how audio stuff really only works on OS X and Windows.

I also moved most of my computers into the machine room with a LAN cable just run across the floor (I'll either use hard pipe or gaff tape at some point, but I want to make sure things keep working). In the long run, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be upgrading my linux computer or building another one to run Hyper-V after some experimentation....just so I can set arbitrary resolutions instead of more-or-less requiring a physical monitor to be plugged in for remote desktop (though there might be a simpler way to do it).

You know...because I'm a ridiculous dork. Strangely, though, VNC works a lot better than a keyboard/mouse switch. And it's not like I need super-fast screen updates for what I use my linux computer for.