Moostapha's edc

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by moostapha, Jan 29, 2016.

1. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I’ve never heard of anyone fasting because of diabetes, but if it works...

The audio/computer setup sounds insanely complicated to me...

2. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Look up Dr. Jason Fong as a starting point.

I guess part of it is complicated.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

bigfoot and mctacticool like this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Listen my children and you shall hear
    Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
    On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
    Hardly a man is now alive
    Who remembers that famous day and year.

He said to his friend, "If the British march
    By land or sea from the town to-night,
    Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
    Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--
    One if by land, and two if by sea;
    And I on the opposite shore will be,
    Ready to ride and spread the alarm
    Through every Middlesex village and farm,
    For the country folk to be up and to arm."

Then he said "Good-night!" and with muffled oar
    Silently rowed to the Charlestown shore,
    Just as the moon rose over the bay,
    Where swinging wide at her moorings lay
    The Somerset, British man-of-war;
    A phantom ship, with each mast and spar
    Across the moon like a prison bar,
    And a huge black hulk, that was magnified
    By its own reflection in the tide.

Meanwhile, his friend through alley and street
    Wanders and watches, with eager ears,
    Till in the silence around him he hears
    The muster of men at the barrack door,
    The sound of arms, and the tramp of feet,
    And the measured tread of the grenadiers,
    Marching down to their boats on the shore.

Then he climbed the tower of the Old North Church,
    By the wooden stairs, with stealthy tread,
    To the belfry chamber overhead,
    And startled the pigeons from their perch
    On the sombre rafters, that round him made
    Masses and moving shapes of shade,--
    By the trembling ladder, steep and tall,
    To the highest window in the wall,
    Where he paused to listen and look down
    A moment on the roofs of the town
    And the moonlight flowing over all.

Beneath, in the churchyard, lay the dead,
    In their night encampment on the hill,
    Wrapped in silence so deep and still
    That he could hear, like a sentinel's tread,
    The watchful night-wind, as it went
    Creeping along from tent to tent,
    And seeming to whisper, "All is well!"

A moment only he feels the spell
    Of the place and the hour, and the secret dread
    Of the lonely belfry and the dead;
    For suddenly all his thoughts are bent
    On a shadowy something far away,
    Where the river widens to meet the bay,--
    A line of black that bends and floats
    On the rising tide like a bridge of boats.

Meanwhile, impatient to mount and ride,
    Booted and spurred, with a heavy stride
    On the opposite shore walked Paul Revere.

Now he patted his horse's side,
    Now he gazed at the landscape far and near,
    Then, impetuous, stamped the earth,
    And turned and tightened his saddle girth;
    But mostly he watched with eager search
    The belfry tower of the Old North Church,
    As it rose above the graves on the hill,
    Lonely and spectral and sombre and still.

And lo! as he looks, on the belfry's height
    A glimmer, and then a gleam of light!

He springs to the saddle, the bridle he turns,
    But lingers and gazes, till full on his sight
    A second lamp in the belfry burns.
    A hurry of hoofs in a village street,
    A shape in the moonlight, a bulk in the dark,
    And beneath, from the pebbles, in passing, a spark
    Struck out by a steed flying fearless and fleet;
    That was all! And yet, through the gloom and the light,
    The fate of a nation was riding that night;
    And the spark struck out by that steed, in his flight,
    Kindled the land into flame with its heat.

He has left the village and mounted the steep,
    And beneath him, tranquil and broad and deep,
    Is the Mystic, meeting the ocean tides;
    And under the alders that skirt its edge,
    Now soft on the sand, now loud on the ledge,
    Is heard the tramp of his steed as he rides.

It was twelve by the village clock
    When he crossed the bridge into Medford town.

He heard the crowing of the cock,
    And the barking of the farmer's dog,
    And felt the damp of the river fog,
    That rises after the sun goes down.

It was one by the village clock,
    When he galloped into Lexington.

He saw the gilded weathercock
    Swim in the moonlight as he passed,
    And the meeting-house windows, black and bare,
    Gaze at him with a spectral glare,
    As if they already stood aghast
    At the bloody work they would look upon.

It was two by the village clock,
    When he came to the bridge in Concord town.

He heard the bleating of the flock,
    And the twitter of birds among the trees,
    And felt the breath of the morning breeze
    Blowing over the meadow brown.
    And one was safe and asleep in his bed
    Who at the bridge would be first to fall,
    Who that day would be lying dead,
    Pierced by a British musket ball.

You know the rest. In the books you have read
    How the British Regulars fired and fled,---
    How the farmers gave them ball for ball,
    From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
    Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
    Then crossing the fields to emerge again
    Under the trees at the turn of the road,
    And only pausing to fire and load.

So through the night rode Paul Revere;
    And so through the night went his cry of alarm
    To every Middlesex village and farm,---
    A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
    A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
    And a word that shall echo for evermore!

For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
    Through all our history, to the last,
    In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
    The people will waken and listen to hear
    The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
    And the midnight message of Paul Revere.

4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

2 small updates.

First, on the diabetes front....after a little while of what boils down to alternate weekly fasting (one week only vitamins, water, black coffee, and occasional zero calorie/carb/caffeine herbal tea; next week high fat, low carb keto/paleo of basically raw vegetables and meat/eggs/fish either raw or cooked in saturated fats / oils at most once per day) and my blood sugar responds normally to meals.

As in, it pretty much exactly follows what is considered normal....spike to 120mg/ml within and hour of the meal and back below 90mg/ml within 3 hours.

Days 4-5 of an extended fast feel AMAZING. So much energy and fatigue doesn't seem to set in until I've worked to failure at a full progression of kettelbell and calisthenics works outs. Also, interestingly, when I feel best, I'm technically hypoglycemic. There's some information to suggest that hypoglycemia is irrelevant if you're in deep ketosis until you get to the point you don't have any more fat to burn. Which is actually kind of cool.

And I've lost almost 10lbs, which is about what the general information about fasting predicts.

Unfortunately, I still get a pretty strong dawn effect. The hormones involved in waking up cause a blood sugar spike that my body still doesn't deal with correctly until about 72 hours without any food. I'm going to need to do at least one significant long term fast to try and fix that, bur progress is being made.

Alternatively, if my one meal per day is basically first thing in the morning, the insulin response to the meal fixes it. But, it also reduces the effect of the workout, which kind of needs to coincide with the HGH, Testosterone, and Cortisol spike that happens in the morning as well as them working better if you're also fasted, even for 8-10 hours....and it makes more of a difference if you stay fasted through the recovery.

Second....my EDC has calmed down to the point that I don't have to think about it anymore. I'm not really looking for anything. Unfortunately, I've gone back to being dissatisfied with all of my bags. So, there's probably going to be an influx of them over the next few months. From amazon. Because returns are easy.

Being dissatisfied with bags was why I joined edcf all that time ago. And I still haven't figured it out. It's annoying.

I'm almost to the point of building a 7" AR just to force me into a vertx bag to be able to carry it so I won't have a choice in the matter. But after I add all the stuff, it'd be at least as heavy as my plate carrier. And screw that.

I've got this one coming in Tuesday. It's really similar to the Rothco urban explorer bag I've been carrying lately....i just hope the organization works out as well with just enough extra space for things I pick up during the day. [​IMG]

5. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

A 10.5 in with a law folder will fit into a Gamut no problem. You really should try it out. I haven't switched out of it since I got it and got rid of most of my surplus. Its damn near perfect

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm borrowing a friend's vertx commuter (the larger sling). It's not big enough even for the 8" I was thinking about. And it has the same problems as everything else vertx...most of the features just don't work right outside of one specific use case.

I kind of think the slings are the best of the vertx bags for what I can only assume is their sole goal...a plain clothes edc chest rig and 1 side armor carrier. They work GREAT for that, but for normal things, every one I've tried has been disappointing.

The gamut seems awesome, but it's too big for me for edc. And I'm not convinced the stuff I want to carry will go in it along with a rifle, not because of space but because the rifle would have to go in the main compartment. Which means pretty much nothing else can, and there's not much space left.

I might try one, but...I'm thoroughly unconvinced. I've got backpacks that size, and I hate all of them. Frankly, I hate backpacks for edc in general. They're flat out better for travel, but in owning a handful of really nice ones and being infatuated with each for a time, they all get tossed in a box eventually.

The little rothco urban explorer bag is winning right now. And it will literally fit inside almost all of my other bags when packed. There's just something about the organization that really works. And the only real downside is that it won't fit my laptop when I need to carry it and that I kind of just don't like it for some reason. Plus, it's uncomfortable after a long day on my feet....but that's what I have the lawn ape's old sling for...it works well for that as long as I can drop a lot of the stuff and cut it down to just medical, water, and vape stuff.

Sadly the one I posted about the other day is a no-go. It holds all the stuff, but most of the pockets are useless. Fortunately, amazon returns are easy.

I'm not convinced I'm ever going to be happy with a bag until I learn how to sew. And I actually came back here to post about how I hated all of my bags.

I really wish I didn't care.

bigfoot and mctacticool like this.
  7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

OOCQOTD: "I'm the idiot with a trauma kit on his ankle; yes, I can start a fire."

charlie fox, bigfoot and mctacticool like this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Update time....

I'm down 15 lbs since I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Blood sugar is basically under control. I still have a dawn effect (spike in the morning), but it's nowhere near as extreme as it was.

My normal routine is a minimum of a 48-hour fast per week (e.g., no food between Monday dinner and Wednesday dinner). If I skip at least every 3rd day, the dawn effect is minimal. Every other week, I'm doing an extended fast of 4-6 days. When I eat, I eat fewer than 30g net carbs / day, usually much less...carbs come from French onion dip (pork rinds, not chips) and fruit. So, basically keto, with lots of cooking in coconut and avocado oil and unsweetened butter.

I'm tracking blood sugar, weight, body fat, blood pressure, resting pulse, and water weight (because salt balance and dehydration are potential issues with intensive fasting). And everything looks good. And none of my pants fit anymore.

I'm looking forward to my a1c recheck in July.

The weird thing is that with my body changing shape, concealing my 17/34 is getting a little harder some days. I can mostly solve it by moving it sideways one way or the other. But, polymer80 is coming out with a 19-sized frame that takes a full size slide. I might have to look into that.

mctacticool likes this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm sure some of you have noticed me posting about watches...there's a reason.

My Seamaster 300M Pro Quarts is about old enough to drink (I can't remember what year I bought it, '97 or '98). In that time, I haven't really longed for anything else or really worn anything else except when it was in for service. And, I'm never getting rid of it. It's just the perfect everyday sports watch to me. I'm not sure if I was lucky or unlucky that I seem to have bought my "exit watch" first.

Recently, I've kind of gotten the bug to get another watch, though. Money isn't a huge issue, though for personal reasons I'll be saving up the cash I need. The drive is a combination of diabetes (life is short, memento mori, etc.) and how my late mom's birthday hit me this year (it was a couple weeks ago). She died several years ago, but for some reason this birthday felt different.

I also inhereted Mom's Rolex Datejust, and I don't want to pay to maintain it (it's already overdue). Mrs. Moo doesn't wear watches. It's way too small for me. We have no daughters (or plans). And, I have no female firends close enough to give it to. It needs a better home than a drawer.

I do have a couple entry-level pieces and homages to kind of try out some styles, a beater watch, and another that I've somehow kept track of since I was a kid and still runs. While I technically own a small pile of watches at this point, I don't fancy myself a collector...I have one watch and a pile of alternates that don't really mean anything to me, mostly bought to play with an automatic or just to tell time while my Seamaster was in for service. Oh, and the two counterfeits that were gifts that I don't wear.

Today was the first time I went to look at the short list and the first time I've been in a dealer except for service in a long time. Partially to clarify my thoughs and partially because you guys might be interested, here's what I found. Keep in mind that this is my opinion, not anything objective. So, I'm sorry if I don't like something you do. If we only judged watches objectively, it would be a very different landscape.

Rolex Explorer (114270) (cpo): Man, it's small. But, somehow I think it almost works. It's beautiful, and I'm not aware of anything else that actually does what it does....simple and rugged with just a little style and class, and just gorgeous proportions that I'm not sure any other watch really replicates. There are obviously functional alternatives, but there's just something special about it. I think it boils down to those beautiful proportions and perhaps the size that's completely out of step with modern fashion. And the awesome history. But, it's kind of tiny. I like it better than the newer 39mm in every single way except the size. I also think there were one or two years when they were made with the newer blue lume, which I prefer and would seek out if it wins.

Rolex Explorer (214270) (new): The blue lume is gorgeous. And the slightly larger size is better for my 7" wrist, at least to my eyes. But, the rest of the watch looks and feels off. I'm not a fan of the wide-shoulder look of the new lugs on any Rolex. But beyond that, Rolex increased the case size by almost 10% and didn't change the lug width. IMHO, that throws the whole balance off and loses quite a bit of the beauty of the 36mm. I don't think I'd be happy with it, because it's so close to amazing.

Rolex Submariner (16610, 116610) (used/po): It's a submariner. Again, I prefer the older lugs, but at least they didn't screw up the overall "at a glance" balance like with the new Explorer. I like the ceramic bezel IRL much better than in pictures. And the new bracelet is a dramatic improvement. A small part of the reason I didn't buy a sub 20 years ago is that the bracelet felt like absolute junk (also because I fell in love with the Seamaster Pro). I also prefer the no-date versions aesthetically, but no one had them, and frankly it's a very small preference. I have one no-date watch, and it can drive me crazy depending on the day. I don't mind the date itself, but the cyclops is a little dumb. Anyway...the only reason I went to that dealer was because none of the ADs or the local CPO dealer I trust (that doesn't require reservations) had any submariners.

Initially, I was just looking at Rolex, specifically the two sizes of explorer and the two generations of no-date subs...I'm not sure any other Rolex has ever really appealed to me. If Rolex had increased the lug width of the 39mm Explorer along with the size to maintain the proportions, it would be the clear winner to my eyes. But spending five grand or so on something with compromises like that (less beautiful or very small) might have taken it out of the running. If I manage to find an Explorer from the brief period after they switched to the blue lume but before the size change, I might have to give it a try (and probably not lose money). I also want to see the 39mm on a one-piece strap that doesn't taper...it might minimize my issues with the change. As it stands, I think the Submariner edges it out for me. But not by a lot. And for a lot more money.
    I'm also one of those weirdos who almost sees a Submariner as "just another Submariner". I know that's not the case. And I'm really splitting hairs with the differences. I'm sure I'd enjoy any of them, not to the exclusion of my SMP, but as a companion to it.

But, after those realizations, I decided to also stop by an Omega boutique.

Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch (new): I've always admired them. I almost saved up longer for one instead of my Seamaster all those years ago. Since then, I haven't tried one on or gone to look at them. And...it seems like there was a reason. I think I admire it for what it is more than I want to own one. I'm essentially shopping for my second watch. And somehow the speedy, as awesome as it is, seems like it should be a third or fourth watch to me, not a second. If there are 3rd or 4th watches.

Omega Seamaster 300 (Black/Steel 233.30.41.21.01.001, Blue/Titanium 233.90.41.21.03.001) (new): They're kind of beautiful. The press photos don't really do them justice in some ways, but they flatter them in others. It is another Seamaster, and I don't really need it. If either were the price of my Seamaster in the 90s (roughly $1300), I would have bought one of them today. The movement, especially, is gorgeous, and you get to see it with the sapphire caseback. The bracelets are nicer than the pre-ceramic sub, but they don't feel as substantial as mine (replaced by Omega a few years ago). The titanium is impressively light, maybe too light for my taste. I already have a super-light beater watch. But I think I like the Blue better than the Black. Blue/Steel would be my pick of them if it existed.

The rest of Omega's current line doesn't really appeal to me. Yes, there are beautiful watches. But there aren't any that I'd really like to own. Even the newer Seamaster Pros and Planet Oceans are missing something compared to mine. I think it comes down to the dial...I like the 90s waves. Even the ones from Baselworld that come out this fall don't do it for me (at least in pictures). And there's a substantial feeling that those 90s pros had that I think might be missing from the current ones. The Titanium 300 definitely feels less substantial to me, though it's supposed to. It could just be nostalgia and emotional attachment.

Overall, right now, I think Rolex beats Omega. I'm not convinced that was the case twenty years ago. At least, not for me.
    I'm really not sure why I even pay attention to the bracelets. Whichever watch I end up with, it'll be on a 1-piece strap. I just think they're more secure. And, they provide some variety that's easy to change.

I don't wear specific dress watches, so that's not a concern. And I'm not aware of anything else that really seems worth trading my late mother's Datejust for.

All of the Rolexes "blow my hair back". But none of them quite as much as my Seamaster did when I fell in love with it. As much as I respect them, I feel like it would be a slow burn to love it, no matter what it is.

My mom was also more of a Rolex person; until recently, I was more of an Omega person (and still am comparing 90s watches). And, it feels right to trade her Rolex in on mine. And when I think about it that way, it's really the Submariner that springs to mind.

Fortunately, it's twice the price of her watch's value. So, I've got some time to see if I come across anything absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, it also seems like CPO, grey market, and new are all within about $1000 of each other.

I'm going to set myself a soft deadline of the anniversary of her death to have sold her Datejust and come up with the difference for the Submariner....and probably decide in the moment after getting a dealer to let me see both the 36mm Explorer and the Submariner on a strap in person.

mctacticool and dmak like this.
  10. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Have you looked in to Tag? Ive always been really impressed. Dont think i could ever drop that money on a watch though. $350 for my smart watch was too much for me

11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I used to own one. It was a stepping stone to my omega.

They're nice watches for sure, but they don't really appeal to me.

mctacticool likes this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

[​IMG]

S_Serpent, mctacticool and dmak like this.
  13. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Tell me more

14. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

A friend made it. I think his company is called Red meat steel. It's not on the website yet, but it's basically a more fighting focused version of their rib tickler. Called Jim Dandy or something.

1095 steel, cerakoted to prevent rust. Wicked tip...it claimed me by drawing a little blood less than a minute after I paid for it (I was slightly careless and bumped the back of my hand). I know Craig Douglass is having one made in 154cm after the show.

I've been looking for something to replace my crkt folts minimalist for an edc defensive blade, and ran into a dude I kinda knew at blade show. It rides really well aiwb next to my mags and disappears even with my tight shirts.

There's a good chance I'm going to pick up one of their rib ticklers as an edc use fixed blade at some point, but with saving up for a watch, I wasn't in a position to impulse buy two handmade knives.

It's not on the website yet, but there will be. I think he was also talking to crkt about licensing the design.

mctacticool and dmak like this.
  15. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Looks great. I dig the shape and profile. 1095 ain't bad. I recently found a Benchmade SOCP Dagger and have been rotating between it and my WRKT Knucklehead. Been happy with both. I know your not a finger ring fan. I've actually started carrying my Ontario rat3 occasionally and am thinking of switching to it on a more permanent basis.

16. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah.

It boils down to a couple things for me...

Ring knives present too much of a degree of degloving or broken fingers for me.

Because that's not a skill I want to invest years in learning, I'm not going to get any real advantage out of anything advanced.

It's kind of like how people who know what they're doing look down on punch daggers. They are inferior if you know the techniques and drill them, but you can teach a child to punch in an hour.

A simple stabby dagger is what I wanted. There are some cold Steel options for around $30 that would have fit the bill, but it was worth the money to support a friend (albeit a distant one) and get something handmade, just because it's cool.

mctacticool, nolaradio and dmak like this.
  17. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, I went in for my a1c recheck a little while ago. It went down from 9.0 to 5.0, which is below even the pre-diabetic range. Blood lipid profile was fantastic.

I still need to do an oral glucose reactivity test (anyone know where to get pure glucose?), but all signs are good. And even during a feeding period, I'm around 40 lbs down from where I was (168-172 instead of 208-210).

I'm calling it a success. I'm going to keep up an intermittent fasting protocol, exercise, and avoiding carbs with the goal of getting down toward 12% body fat (I'm at 16-17 now). Especially now that the cravings for things like chocolate and ice cream have just about completely subsided. But, I'm much less worried.

mctacticool and S_Serpent like this.
  18. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That’s awesome news... And good to see your still around... How’s life these days ??

19. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Good to see you too.

It's good.

I've started my mastering studio, by which I mean I've had a couple paying clients through friends...still no web or social media presence. Frankly, that seems counterproductive right now. Anyone who knows what they're shopping for would see glaring problems with anything I could put up honestly, not the least of which is no real history of releases. But, one track has been played in local clubs with positive reactions.

Upgrading the Really Awesome(tm) stereo has been a fun experience. It's surprisingly difficult to cut through the BS and actually get to what matters. But other than a few "I obviously shoudln't do this" things, the sound just keeps getting better and more detailed and problems stand out like sore thumbs.

The crazy part, to me, has been setting up subwoofers correctly. First...they're plural. In a <200 sq. ft. room. And they're nowhere near the main speakers. And it sounds like bass is coming from where the rest of the stereo image implies it should. Physics is weird.

Unfortunately, it seems like any upgrades from this point are going to be very small and insanely expensive.

Also, I hit 162 lbs last week during a fast, 165 after. So...that's going well, and most of my meals involve either steak or ground beef cooked in butter. Apparently everything I learned about nutrition over my entire life was dead wrong. I feel great. On the down side, a couple weeks ago I walked through one of the semi-permanent baby gates we use to coral the dogs and just about ripped off a toe nail. It looks pretty fracked up, but I'm under the impression it'll mostly heal by itself as long as it doesn't get infected.

And my EDC hasn't changed really at all. I'm in a good place with it....just waiting for the polymer80 19-sized frames for full size slides to come out.

nolaradio, S_Serpent and mctacticool like this.
  20. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That’s just awesome on all accounts... Everything still good with the dogs ??