Moostapha's edc

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by moostapha, Jan 29, 2016.

1. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Oh yeah. They hang out with me in my studio and cuddle like it's their jobs....which it kinda is.

mctacticool likes this.
  2. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That’s awesome... Have you concidered selling the music on stock sites ?? I recently got accepted as a photography seller on pond5.com, i know that they provide a platform for video, dronefootage, music, graphic vectors and probably other stuff as well...

3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

No. Actually making music isn't what I do. I'm a terrible songwriter.

What I'm interested in is mastering, which is the last step of music production...final sonic adjustments to make sure the music has the best chance of sounding like the artist intended and creating an emotional connection on a wide variety of playback systems and preparing it for release on various formats (cd, different streaming services, download sites, etc.) in terms of metadata and subtle dorky optimizations.

There are a lot of people who think it's basically irrelevant at this point, but with the proliferation of bedroom producers and tiny project studios, it's actually getting more important. Mastering is often the only time an indie artist's song is going to be played on a system that's actually full range and capable of any kind of detail, and it gives the opportunity for someone who's not intimately familiar with all of the production decisions to listen to it objectively. There's pretty much no way a bedroom producer is hearing what their music actually sounds like.

My monitoring system is what I'd call "adequate" but certainly not high end, and the total cost recently topped ten grand. No bedroom producers put that much into it unless hifi is another hobby. The differences between this and what I was using a few years ago are not the least bit subtle, and the things that made the biggest difference are the last things producers and songwriters think about.

With how saturated the music market is, any little advantage you can get to make your music stand out and connect with listeners is worth it. I'm also wondering if the almost-antequated CD might be even more important for small artists than it was even five years ago. I have a pretty sizeable collection of CDs in cardboard sleeves (mostly with cool art) that are mostly autographed from artists that I've never seen on streaming sites (and rarely on official channels on youtube, so they're not getting any money from YT plays). They were mostly <$10 at shows, which is "pocket change" for most people, and a lot of them sound terrible compared to the live show because they were recorded, mixed, and mastered in crappy project studios. Put some money into graphic design (a few hundred bucks per release) and mastering (a couple grand for a full album at the high end), they're about $1.50 each to make. Even charging $5 for a single or mini-album, you typically break even when you sell around 500 of them. For a full album, it's more like 1000. And for a touring musician who's playing for a few hundred people a few times a month, that's a pretty decent ROI. And a $5-10 autographed CD is a much easier sell than a $20 t-shirt or $70 hoodie that takes similar numbers to break even.

Most of the impulse buy at a show CDs I have are just "cool". And a substantial portion of them have never been played or were just ripped to my computer and put on display. Yet, I don't regret the purchases at all. Most of that money goes straight to the artist instead of being divvied up between streaming services, aggregators, labels, and advertisers with the artist getting maybe fractions of a cent for 100 plays. Dragoncon is coming up, and I always go to the Cruxshadows show, and I always buy at least one CD from them. It's a "free" concert (i'm sure Dcon pays them something to play that comes out of membership fees), but merch is the only thing that makes it worth it for them. And a few years ago, one of their singles (Sophia, IIRC) debuted at #1 on the billboard dance charts based only on impulse sales at Dragoncon because the CD replication facility screwed up printing the artwork and it was sold nowhere else in the world.

I've seen a lot of indie and cover bands at small bars lately. And I'm always disappointed and confused that they don't sell CDs. If anything, they give out cards with QR codes. But...conversion to a download let alone a purchase is tiny....people lose them at the bar or just never follow up. Giving them a physical thing in exchange for a few bucks puts money in their pocket, and a personalized autograph takes almost no additional investment and creates a fan.

It's an easy revenue stream that too many small artists just don't do. YouTube is the most popular music discovery service out there, but as their recommendation algorithms get even more focused on advertising, small artists are going to get buried more than they already are, further diminishing returns. And videos are always more expensive to produce. And YT sounds like crap on anything better than a phone speaker.

IDK...I kind of went off on what I want to do. But, thank you. This is probably going to wind up the basis for an article on my web and social media presence whenever that happens....which I really need to get on. I'm at the point where my technical ability is easily good enough for indie artists and marketing is the thing that's going to actually give me an ROI....which is the thing I suck at (despite it being my day job, which is so formulaic for what I do that a well-trained monkey could perform my tasks).

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Just because...

[​IMG]

It changed slightly from that picture...the speakers are on slightly taller stands/isolators to be at the right height. It sounds incredible in here. Speaker and DAC upgrades are coming some time next year, but I'm really happy for the time being.

nolaradio and S_Serpent like this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, I have to go somewhere unarmed later today. It's frustrating.

But I also get to see Elton John. From really good seats. So...worth it.

nolaradio, S_Serpent and dmak like this.
  6. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Have fun, be safe, carry medical

7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Did all of those things. It was an awesome concert.

[​IMG]

I also beeped like crazy going in and didn't get picked for additional scrutiny. (it was probably the windlass) The lady doing the baskets literally said "I don't have time for this" while I was emptying my pockets and turned around to do something else.

I felt very safe.

The venue was also technically a government building, which (in GA) means that the penalties for getting caught with weapons are a little more severe than getting thrown out.

Also almost got hit by a car walking back to my parking space. Fortunately, he stopped in time.

sk33tr likes this.
  8. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

saw Elton in concert a few years ago. well, more than a few...like 10 years or so, lol.

EXCELLENT show he puts on. he did a 10-minute version of rocket man (my favorite song by him) that was amazing. the only song he didn't do that i wish he would've, was saturday night's alright for fighting. still, excellent, excellent concert.

he'll be here, again, in a couple days. i wish i could go again, but no money for this time. and it being his farewell concert, i know i won't get another chance. but i did see him once, so i can still have that memory.

moostapha likes this.
  9. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...it was an awesome show. He did do an extended version of saturday. It was a lot of fun. The only thing my wife and I were really missing was that he didn't do anything from Lion King. I kind of get why (there just wasn't enough time, even with him playing for 3 hours). But, that's not the end of the world...we just grew up with it.

It being his farewell tour was why we decided to blow the (insane amount of) money. I don't regret it. The last thing she said before we bought them was "we missed Bowie".

But, yeah...that concert cost more than my mk18 as it is now, including stamps.

sk33tr likes this.
  10. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Years ago I went to an Elton John / Billy Joel. That was a good one. Bowie would have been nice to see live

moostapha likes this.