My new get home bag (LOTS of pics.....you've been warned)

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor EDC' started by sk33tr, Sep 19, 2017.

1. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Reason why I have 2 flag patches on my bag. I agree, cops aren't stupid and they do have a lot of situational experience that many of us don't have.

bigfoot, mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  2. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That's the thing they're good at.

I don't remember which thread it was in, so I can't quote myself. But someone said something about me teaching cops a thing or two about shooting. And, frankly, having watched a hundred or so local PD guys shoot...it's true. It's also true for the vast majority of the people who shoot USPSA or IDPA or Bullseye or just about any other even quarter-way practical competition. The vast majority of cops are not great at shooting. But the vast majority of them also never fire their service weapon in the line of duty. It's not a big part of their job.

As far as how quickly and well they gather and process information, how well they deal with and manage rampant chaos....I'm kind of in awe.

bigfoot and sk33tr like this.
  3. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

my cousin, who is a licensed instructor and is teaching me, has told me things about how bad most cops are at shooting. he's told me how most of them would come in thinking they were the best shooter and wound up barely hitting the target with any type accuracy.

he likes that i was able to hit the target when i first started, but he wanted me to start going for better accuracy. and he was telling me how a lot of the cops he taught would get upset when he would try to teach them better accuracy and how they would act like they knew more than him. even though he was an on-the-street officer for over 20 years and an instructor for most of those years.

when the time comes, we're going to start working on rifle drills as well. he's a certified rifle instructor, too.

plus i get to do it all for free :D. gotta love having that family connection.

4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Oh yeah. Family/friend connections and trading other expertise for training is awesome.

Where I used to work, when PD qualification season came around, the training calendar was full with cops trying to get up to where they were capable of qualifying. I shot their couse cold one day and was annoyed at a 290/300...because I dropped one of the 10yd headshots from the ocular/nasal cavity into the jaw....and on that one string, any "miss" is a zero. I probably should have shot it slower...I had a shit ton of time, but I was shooting it at what I considered full speed.

bigfoot, dmak, sk33tr and 1 other person like this.
  5. bigfoot

bigfoot
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

@sk33tr Sweet GHB setup and liking all the pics! :)

Better to have something you can actually carry, rather than a pack stuffed with 100 lbs., looking like an extra from an episode of Doomsday Preppers. :D