New Screen or new Phone?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by moostapha, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Phone or Screen

Poll closed Sep 26, 2017.
  1. iPhone SE

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Screen

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Something else < $350, available in store, in Atlanta, tomorrow.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I dropped my last backup smartphone; it landed wrong; phone broke. This is the third or fourth phone I've broken this year.

I have but do not want to spend the money on an actually new one. The pieces of glass are falling off, and it's just a (short) matter of time until it's unusable.

I can get a new screen (glass and LCD) for $80 if the place has them in stock (it's an old iPhone 5, so they might not). If not, I'm pretty sure the right phone is an iPhone SE for $350, which I can get in a few minutes at the Apple store, perhaps without affecting my lack of a contract with my carrier.

I'm absolutely not willing to pay more than $350 for a smarphone, and I'm not willing to pay by the month. I used to say the same thing about $250, but apparently the rest of the world went insane and thinks these devices are actually worth real money....which they're not.

I have no preference between Android and iOS, but if it's Android, it either needs to be 100% vanilla (no bullshit carrier or manufacturer customizations) or have an unlocked bootloader so I can put vanilla android on it.

Which one should I do? I'll be doing either at 10am tomorrow...

bigfoot and mctacticool like this.
  2. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i'd say go for the screen first. it's the cheapest option and you might as well try it first to see if you can get one.

the screen on my 6+ is coming off. it's only been dropped once. but was in an otterbox defender case at the time. and the screen didn't start coming off until a couple months later. i have no plans to replace it though (the glass, that is). the phone still works 100% and the glass isn't broken, cracked, or scratched at all. it's just raised up on one side and won't stay down. the phone hasn't been bent (i've been asked that by everyone who see the phone). it stays in a cargo pocket so it's never in a tight place where pressure can be put on it.

bigfoot, mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  3. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Honestly, i would say get a new phone... iPhone 5 is aging and its only a matter of time before its not supported and won't be updated anymore...

bigfoot and moostapha like this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Any specific recommendations, given the requirements?

Remember...I have other priorities. I've had a lot of unexpected bills lately; I'm theoretically saving up for night vision, more training, and more guns, and some other stuff; and I firmly believe that phones are flat-out inferior to real computers in every way except that they're portable and generally suck at everything except making calls, texting, and GPS....

The prices of the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, or even the Nexus 6P or any of the Galaxy series makes me kind of sick.

bigfoot, madlag and mctacticool like this.
  5. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

You said it yourself... iPhone SE, at least thats what i would get in that pricerange, i hate android and feel it is inferior to iOS, i've never used an android device i've been happy with... Have ypu checked with @madlag ?? He might have something used laying around, i know he's trying to sell some MacBook Pro's...

bigfoot, madlag and moostapha like this.
  6. locked-out

locked-out
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm living with the iPhone 6 and Samsung 7....both with smashed screens, gorilla glass my ass lol

Both screen replacements for these are stupid expensive so if u go for a new expensive phone don't ditch the insurance like I did :(

Have you looked at the second hand phone market? You may be able to pick up a nice iPhone 6 or 7 or a Samsung S7 or S8 for that money. Loads will be wanting to trade up for the iPhone 8 or x? These would be way ahead of the SE in terms of power and build quality. However if your just gonna make phone calls SE is fine.

iPhone for work, rooted android for play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I have been pleased with my Samsung galaxy s7 and the wife really likes her LG G6. Both options are water"proof" and have held up well to our abuse. I think I got the G6 for $375ish

bigfoot, madlag, locked-out and 2 others like this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

They had one more iPhone 5 screen. I took it as a sign. And it took half the damn day for them to swap it for some reason.

9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Points for being frugal, more money for other stuff... Half a day ?? When i had the screen on Mrs McT's iPhone 6s Plus switched it took them less than an hour...

10. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah. The first guy said "Normally, it'd be 30-45 minutes, but we literally just opened and our computers aren't even up yet. Come back in 45 to an hour".

I did. A differen guy said "How about another hour?" So, I wasted more time, came back in another hour, and then fell asleep in the waiting room.

I've changed screens in less time than that. I just hate working on phones.

Also, that place charged $80 for the repair and tried to sell me a $60 screen protector that lowered the cost of future screen replacement (within 2 years) to $20.

I made a face and said "umm...I can add". It took him a minute to realize I wasn't going to buy it. I'm not sure if he ever figured out why.

bigfoot and mctacticool like this.
  11. madlag

madlag
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

@moostapha go for a new screen if you're happy with the phone as is. around here its about 75 bucks for replacement iPhone screens installed. And yes I have a couple mac book pros for real cheap if you're interested. oh and, HEY everyone hehe.

bigfoot, mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I do "need" a new one. My last MBP (from 2011) finally died a little while ago. But, I pretty much only use it for music, which I haven't done in a long time. So, if I get back to it, I'll probably just use my hackintosh and not worry about being the least bit mobile.

The new screen seems to work fine. I do need a new phone eventually....it's frustratingly slow. I just can't fathom paying what modern, good smartphones cost.

bigfoot, madlag and mctacticool like this.
  13. madlag

madlag
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yea the price of all this tech has gotten out of hand. Ill send you one of these MacBook pros for sub 400 bucks man...

bigfoot and moostapha like this.
  14. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

What version/specs?

madlag likes this.
  15. madlag

madlag
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Id have to go pull the serial # and see but roughly 2014-2015 unibody of course with 8GB ram and prob i5 or i7. I may or may not have a charger. They're not new, I got them and few IBM lenovo machines as part of group purchase at last job.

bigfoot, locked-out and moostapha like this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Sounds like a great deal, but with the way my life has gone, I'm not sure it matters. I do still have a laptop (a 2012 lenovo x230) that works wonderfully for everything I need except music. And, again, I don't actually do that anymore. I just like the idea that I could. And I don't think I'd have to put any money into my hackintosh to get it working...just a little effort.

I really appreciate the offer, but if I spend $300-400 on anything in the near future, it's going to be a new mount for my 1-5....because the issues I've been having with it exactly match the growing complaints about LaRue not deserving its reputation. And I don't think I really need anything else any time soon.

bigfoot and madlag like this.
  17. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Stay one model behind the current version of whatever phone you want and save a few bucks. Don't forget to check gazelle.com for deals on used phones. I know a few people that have bought from them and most have commented that the phone they received was actually in better condition than described.

bigfoot, moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  18. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

so i went the opposite route of what i voted, lol.

the screen on my iphone 6+ somehow got damaged. it was only dropped once previously, but it was in an otterbox defender case at the time. the case broke, but the phone, upon inspection, seemed undamaged. if the screen had been like this at that time, i definitely would have noticed.

it's been like this for a couple months now, and had been doing ok. so decided to just live with it and keep the phone. but recently, it started acting up and not wanting to turn on; or randomly turning off. i'd have to squeeze the screen back down onto the frame to get it to power on. and that was becoming very annoying. so i decided to get a new phone. to replace the screen on it was going to cost more than i could spend at the time.

i went into the verizon store yesterday and got a samsung galaxy s8+. it's obviously different and weird going from ios to android. but i've been playing with it a bit and getting used to it. i had to redo all of my contacts, but thankfully google helped with most of them. i'm still trying to figure out the music portion of it as i used my current phone(s) as my music source quite a bit.

i've got it synced with my truck so i can use the bluetooth to make and receive calls and to listen to music. but as i said, i still gotta get the music portion sorted out.

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  19. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah...switching back and forth isn't too bad. But it does take some getting used to. Each one has things that I prefer over the other system's version.

AFAIK, there isn't a great way to listen to music on Android. There are a lot of them, and I defaulted to google play music (because I have youtube red, and it's included) and just use their cloud service. But, iTunes works better if you run Windows or OS X at home.

Lately, I'm just downloading DJ mixes from youtube and listening to those until I get sick of them.

My new phone screen is peeling away from the case. I'm not sure if they did it wrong or if the phone is just that badly damaged, but it's functional so far. I'm probably going to put up with it as long as I can and then just get a cheap-ish android phone on my plan at some point. I'm definitely not happy about paying every month to not actually own a device, but I'm convinced that there isn't a good smart phone on the market at the moment (for what I call good).

I don't think I care anymore. All I want is phone calls, SMS, GPS, a camera, a few video apps that are on every platform, Signal, Taptalk, and a web browser. Everything else they do is just fluff.

locked-out, mctacticool and sk33tr like this.