New to the EDC picture game

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by Reverence, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Thank you for the kind words. I indeed like to find things that are unique and purpose driven. Form follows function :) I really enjoy finding things that work and that I can use. Although some things fall into the fun and frivolous category.

I really like your pocket watch. It seems so much more refined to look at something that is dedicated to telling time. I have one, but it was my great grandfather's and I'm afraid of abusing it. I can be tough on my gear.

Do you use the cigarette case for a wallet? I'm thinking about making a steel wallet/money clip.

2. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

3. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

It's actually made to carry business cards but it's the perfect size for credit cards and ID. I love it's compact size and won't go back to a big clunky wallet any time soon. The watch was a gift from my wife back in mid 80's. I prefer time pieces over things like fitbits.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Reverence and mctacticool like this.
  4. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

What's wrong with the zippo?

mctacticool likes this.
  5. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I love the Zippo. I have a chrome one and the solid brass slim. I just think it would be fun to have something unique.

mctacticool and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  6. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Today's carry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Antithetik, QuodErat, Tabasco and 3 others like this.
  7. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Check what just arrived in the mail!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black scabbard I was making had to be scrapped and I'm not really feeling the motivation to remake it. We'll see

8. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I patinated (not sure about the past tense of patina) the new Olight. I can always polish it back out. I was thinking about adding a little green accent. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I went out with my wife last night to a charity event and had to dress up. I don't really like wearing a suit and tie, but every so often I can't avoid it. Two things really struck me.

One, damn, sometimes I wish I had nice, pretty, stylish gear like WinonaRail. It would have felt more natural to have his edc. Maybe I'll have to get some nicer stuff.

Two, I hate going out with a well-thought-out group of items and then never once getting to use any of them :(

[​IMG]

LM Squirt PS4, Cross, Thrunite ti5t, Buck 501, Great Grandpa's International Watch Co. pocket watch (which stopped working at 6:27), Zippo, Glass of wine, Queen Mary in the background. I would have not taken the watch if it wasn't for a few of you who have inspired me to have a little culture ;)

Ps. The black sheath should be done today. Nothing fancy.

10. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

It's kinda funny, I actually like cleaning up a bit so I have an excuse to carry things like my pocket watch. I also carry a hand turned wooden ball point pen with me on those occasions. These things look a little out of place in jeans and a casual shirt. (I generally wear a button down or polo to cover my CCW.)

mctacticool and QuodErat like this.
  11. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Finished the sheath. The clip is plastic. The knife is cold steel. I got it around 2008. I've never carried it and as I was making the sheath, I looked up the laws here in California.

Illegal knives include undetectable knives and concealed daggers (I never tuck in my shirt like it is in the picture). Both of which can be a felony. That means that I (someone who as only been arrested once, over 25 years ago and not convicted) will not be carrying this knife. :(

Here's the law that I found.

Penal Code 17290. As used in this part, "undetectable knife" means any knife or other instrument, with or without a handguard, that satisfies all of the following requirements:

(a) It is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death.
    (b) It is commercially manufactured to be used as a weapon.
    (c) It is not detectable by a metal detector or magnetometer, either handheld or otherwise, which is set at standard calibration.

California Penal Code 20810(a) -- Any person in this state who commercially manufactures or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports into the state for commercial sale, or who knowingly exports out of this state for commercial, dealer, wholesaler, or distributor sale, or who keeps for commercial sale, or offers or exposes for commercial, dealer, wholesaler, or distributor sale, any undetectable knife is guilty of a misdemeanor.

I'm not sure if giving, lending, or possessing is illegal, but it sure sounds like it according to this.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=199920000AB1188

Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know my shirt looks weird. I tucked it in tight to show the sheath.

12. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Here in Nevada we can carry almost any knife concealed or not... I feel for you buddy.

mctacticool and QuodErat like this.
  13. QuodErat

QuodErat
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Nicely done!

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  14. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Yes, sorry, meant to tell you that, very nicely done.

15. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

If you're in LA I'm sure you can find a watch repair guy for your grand dad's watch. It might be cheaper to fix than you think.

16. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I found and emailed a licenced IWC watch repair guy that's about 15 minutes away. I also did some work on identifying the watch. I found out that it's a International Watch Company calibre 95 and a Henry Blank & Co case. Here's a pic of the inside.

[​IMG]

I played around with the patina on the copper Olight. I'm still waiting on a vote (let me know what you think). Which version looks best? Shiny, dark, or green.

[​IMG]

I think I'm going to work on a metal wallet/money clip. I need to source some .025 steel for not too much money. I think stainless 301 would work because it doesn't have to bend too much. I might make some tweezers, too. I've been looking at those pocket tweez. Tweezers do come in handy when you're around tiny metal shavings.

17. GJWeinheimer

GJWeinheimer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

You have quite a can do attitude, it's quite endearing. I love how you just tackle any project like it's nothing. I prefer the more brownish color on the light.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  18. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

It seems like I have always had this. Although, I've never really carried it. I don't remember where I got it. Today, I spent a little time oiling and cleaning it. I think it looks pretty good for 20 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Reverence

Reverence
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

mctacticool likes this.
  20. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That's a really nice pocket watch! I carry a pocket watch daily so great to see other people using them!

Great job also on the sheath.

Reverence and mctacticool like this.