Olight PL Mini

Discussion in 'Flashlights' started by backwater-otter, Oct 11, 2017.

1. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Let’s get into the review with my 3 main points

1. Small Size- This pistol light is very very small for the light output. It attaches to the pistol cleanly and keeps the flow smooth. It really becomes a part of the pistol vs. an attachment. The fact that it doesn’t have a removable battery gives it the ability to be so small and compact.

2. Light Output- The light starts at 400 lumens and progressively dims as the battery charge diminishes. The light lasts for approximately an hour before needing a recharge. The light has good throw when mounted and has enough flood to keep your peripheral vision illuminated. I wish it was at least 500 lumens, but I guess the tradeoff comes with the size.

3. Rechargeability- This is the one feature that I really don’t like. It’s hard for me to imagine being in a tactical situation and having the light run out, only to be unable to pop in new batteries. I would have to carry around a power bank, but even then it would take time to charge the light. I think this is a huge trade off, one that I really think may not be worth it for most people. Maybe to use this as the light in a backup gun or something similar, but otherwise I think it’s a bit risky. To each his own, it’s a matter of personal preference.

I attached the PL Mini to a F&N FNS 40 for the review. It attached easily and comfortably. The front of the light barely stuck out beyond the end of the barrel, making this a very compact setup for what it is.

After attaching the light I ran some dry fire drills to get comfortable with the setup. I noticed how turning the light on can be difficult at times, the switch is just the smallest bit out of reach. It's not too bad though and I didn't have any trouble after working on my muscle memory. The ambidextrous switch is very convenient and I think that the placement is great. The switch is a little tough to turn on, but it is also semi impossible to turn it on accidentally so I'll take that as a positive drawback.

I moved onto live rounds. After 150 shots, the light was still tight to the rail and I had no issues with wiggling. The aluminum construction keeps the PL Mini tough yet lightweight. I'll be interested to see how it holds up after 1K rounds. Night shooting is always fun, and I really enjoyed shooting with the PL Mini. The throw was decent, I wish the light was a little brighter for longer but thats the trade-off you have to deal with if you want such a small and convenient light. My peripheral vision was mostly illuminated by the spill of the light. The smooth reflector gives the light more throw than spill but in a weapon light that is preferred. I could see my targets well up to about 50 yards. I engaged at 25, 10, and 5 yards. The closer I got to my target, the more light rebounded back at me and made it harder to see. That's not a huge deal just something to think about

The light only comes in cool white and I'm think that's a great call on Olights part. Many light snobs may be cringing at the bluish tint but hello guys, this is a defensive light that is supposed to be hurting your assailant's eyes and disorienting them. You do not want a pretty neutral white beam that is easier on their retinas. Many people also might want a strobe or sos mode on the light but I think it's unneeded. KISS method works well here, unnecessary modes that could end up being confusing in a high stress situation are a bad idea. A simple click with your booger hook and you're ready to roll.

The battery in the light lasted for 58 minutes before it became too dim to be of real use anymore. After plugging it in to charge, it took about 40 minutes to reach full capacity. The quick charging is a great feature but I wish the light lasted longer at 400 lumens, the one and only mode. After about 5 mins the brightness stepped down to what I would call quarter brightness or about 100 lumens. This seems like a big step down in such a short time but think about most engagement situations. They really don't last that long normally. Another important use for your pistol light is to blind your assailant(s) and disorienting them. As long as you have 400 lumens for the initial surprise all is peach pie. Most of us also carry a pocket EDC light that can supplement the PL Mini if necessary.

The charge does for the PL Mini is a "special" cord. It will not work with any other Olight rechargeable light. The magnetic polarity is reversed in the light and cable, which makes it impossible to even use the other cords. The magnetic attachment is handy and the light does charge relatively fast. The capability to use a powerbank to recharge is convenient. I do believe that having a light that uses a replaceable battery like a CR123 would be preferred but that is not the point of this light. It's meant to be as small, bright, and convenient as possible and I think Olight succeeded in meeting that goal. This may not be the end all pistol light to trust your life with, but for some situations it can be considered better than nothing. Being able to comfortably and cheaply carry a light on your CCW is worth it. The PL Mini serves its intended purpose well.

I think that Olight could also use this size platform to make a nice heavy duty keychain light. All they would have to do is remove the rail attachment, add a lanyard hole, adjust the switch location, and add a few modes. I think it could be a smash hit.

Overall the Olight PL Mini is a very good pistol light considering the cost and size. There are a few drawbacks to this light, but otherwise it is a great option for someone looking for a very decent cheap light they can put on a backup gun or small CCW. This light is perfect for the tacticool and airsoft crowd as well. I appreciate Olight sending me this light for review. Check out the tech specs below.

LEVEL 1 (lumens) 400

Run-time LEVEL 1

400lumens (~60lm);

•1h10m (1m).

Strobe No

SOS / BEACON No

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Waterproof IPX6

Weight (g / oz) 62 / 2.19

Length (mm / in) 61.2 / 2.41

Head Diameter (mm / in) 31.2 / 1.23

Body Diameter (mm / in) 26.9 / 1.06

Led Cree XP-L HI

Packaging Carton box

Use Police, military, tactical use

Package Contents •Flashlight x 1

•Magnetic charger USB cable x 1

•260mAh built-in lithium polymer battery

•1913 Rail Mount (for 1913 Rail) x 1

•T6/T8 Socket Head Wrench x 1

•Instruction Manual

1.Olight official store:https://www.olightstore.com/olight-pl-mini

2.Olight official eBay store:http://bit.ly/PLMINIeBayUS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jerry D., Kerberos and moostapha like this.
  2. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Nice review. Have you found any ready made holsters that will fit the light attached to your FNS 40?

3. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

No, I haven't. It's not my FN either, I borrowed it from a buddy for the review. ;):D I wish....

mctacticool likes this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That's the big downside of new pistol things....

Pretty much if it's not Glock and surefire or streamlight, you're into custom holsters.

That being said, there are bigger problems to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry D., dmak and mctacticool like this.