On body tourniquet carry?

Discussion in 'First Aid' started by 2Ajewelry, Aug 26, 2015.

1. 2Ajewelry

2Ajewelry
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody carry a tourniquet on body as part of their EDC?

I just picked up a RATS tourniquet and I'm waiting for a back ordered inside the waistband holster for it, I thought that sounded like the easiest way to carry it, but if that doesn't work out for whatever reason I may move it to a dedicated blowout kit but I would carry only when I had cargo pockets, otherwise it would be in one of my off body bags.

Does anybody else have any suggestions for alternative carry methods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  2. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Charter Member

I don't carry a tourniquet in my current edc configurations. When I do add one it will probably stay in my edc bag/pack.

mctacticool likes this.
  3. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

I carry a SWAT-T tourniquet in my pocket trauma kit, seen here at the top left.

[​IMG]

4. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

5. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

For now i carry it in my inside left pocket of my jacket, but i am looking for different way to carry it...

Sharaz_Jek and dmak like this.
  6. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Just ordered a RAT's T last night, plan to carry on body at all times. Saw a video on how to carry it next to your belt basically wrapping it around you. So going to give that a go and see how it turns out.

7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

FWIW, the RATS is a lot harder to use than a windlass. Get a 2nd one for training.

I do carry one, as they're the only ones I know of that work on pets and children. But they're far from a 1st choice.

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  8. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I mimic these words. I actually carry a Rats and a sof-t wide daily. The rats is for the dog and baby.

Definitely make sure to train with the rats. Wrapping can be a little tricky. Definitely a two handed deal for proper application

9. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Been awhile since I've trained with one so I'll be practicing with it a few times. I've heard you need a inch to two inch wrap to completely stop blood flow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mctacticool likes this.
  10. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That's not entirely true.

I'm not an expert, but based on conversations with experts...

The wider wrap prevents doing more damage to the artery that makes the later surgical intervention a little more complicated and can increase the likelihood of nerve/tissue damage.

The problem with the RATS is threefold. First, it's hard to get a wide wrap that exerts even pressure. Second, it's harder to get it tight enough, and there's no real way to tighten it without taking it off and reapplying it (which has a handful of countraindications for the treatment...in short, you do not want to take a TQ off...you want the hospital to do that). Third, it's significantly more difficult to apply in the first place compared to a SOF-T W or CAT, especially to yourself.

The last class I went to that involved medical training was a "bring your own" stuff class. Pretty much 1 for 1, the pople using SOF-T Ws completely cut off blood flow to the limb in a semi-realistic scenario (the patient wasn't actually bleeding and was compliant), people using CATs still had a weak pulse that the actual trained medics could detect but most of the laypeople couldn't, and RATS barely worked better than belts (and generally failed).

They're a compromise and IMHO generally belong in the trash unless you specifically plan on applying them to children and pets, whose limbs are generally too small for a SOF-T W with the understanding that you're not buying as much time as you would with a better TQ.

I actually carry one of each daily and have another RATS and a few SOF-T Ws in various bits of kit. The only reason I still carry a CAT is because I haven't replaced my Galco ankle rig with another Wilderness/USPalm and the SOF-T W doesn't fit. (Yes, I'm weird and carry 2 ankle rigs for med gear.) In training with all of them, the SOF-T W, at least for me, is by far the easiest to apply.

11. Desertratt1322

Desertratt1322
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That ankle rig you use, if you get a chance I was wondering if you could post a picture of it. Might be something I would consider.

nolaradio, moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

It's in this dump from a year and a half ago or so.

Oddly enough, there haven't been any substantial changes to my edc. [​IMG]

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

13. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Was looking into adding a tourniquet to my work FAK. After the incident we had last year, I think it would be a prudent addition.

Some good info to get started on here so far.

mctacticool likes this.