Pending 80% Glock project . . .

Discussion in 'DIY Gear & Mods' started by Troll Medic, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the 80% lowers for Glocks. Was thinking of getting an 80% lower, and tricking it out with all the bling type parts to make my own custom Glock (including the slide that allows for an RMR, but not the RMR), for under $600. What do you all think?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I have a Polymer80 full size frame. I've had it for over a year and not gotten around to building it. But, I will at some point. I'm not sure what's going to tip me over the edge.

One thing that will....Polymer80 announced a 19-sized frame for full sized slides....which is exactly what I want to carry. That...I'll be ordering and building as soon as they're available.

I've handled (but not shot) a couple completed ones, and they seem good.

Troll Medic likes this.
  3. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Nice! I'm DEFINITELY going to have a look at that G19 grip, with long slide capability! Just have to line up a good barrel (must admit I want to bling it out a bit). Maybe even see if I can get a G23 grip and slide with a 9mm conversion barrel to max out the capabilities!

moostapha likes this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So, I was going to make a joke about blinging out a glock, because I don't get it.

Then I realized I have around $1400 in aftermarket parts in my EDC....they're just not bling-y (atom slide, RMR, ssvi trigger, TDG striker control device, magpul magwell, GFA, some internal components, and a couple hours worth of stippling and frame adjustments).

So, I can't exactly throw stones.

I'm pretty sure the only stock or OEM parts left are the frame, barrel, striker (+spring and shield), extractor, extractor retainer and spring, most of the pins, locking block and spring, and seer housing block (or whatever it's actually called in a glock). Technically the trigger bar and cruciform are OEM, but SSVI might have done things to them. And I did a tiny bit to the cruciform.

Also, I just realized that I can disassemble a glock and list all of the parts in my head...I might need help.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Troll Medic likes this.
  5. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Hahhahahah! It's called addiction brudda! And I think everyone in this forum needs help! Check it though:

moostapha likes this.
  6. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Still contemplating whether I should get a 40 Cal mid size Glock (can't remember which one that is right off the bat G23 maybe?) to maximize my Calibre capabilities and carry options. How do like your RMR? Been thinking about it and wanting to know if it's worth all the expenses with the RMR, new sights, etc etc?

7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

The atom slide comes with backup sights.

I like red dots on pistols in general. A lot. I like the aimpoint micros a lot better, and if the new P1 comes in at a decent price point, I'm going to try one as soon as there's an atom plate for it. The RMRs have a shorter service life and are more susceptible to interference from rain. There's also a greater chance of causing damage through regular maintenance due to some design issues.

As far as that style of open reflex sights, the RMRs are still the best. The Deltapoint Pro gives it some competition, but I don't think it's worth the size penalty.

If I could use a frame mount and had the money for another one, I'd go with a comp m5 without even thinking about it. If the P1 ends up too expensive, I'm thinking about trying one on an atom slide (and just dropping the rear BUIS). With the 19-sized P80 frame and my 17-sized atom slide, I could get away with carrying it most days.

As for the cost....yeah. It's worth it. At least to me. I can nail mini pepper poppers at 35+ yards in under a second from OWB either with them or the proctor sights, but I KNOW my calls are right with the dot. And they give more feedback for dry training. And it's easier to get a sight picture under stress. And you never have to shift focus to the sight, which saves time and reduces eye fatigue, especially for multiple targets. And it aids in target discrimination, allows you to take in more information (including a shoot becoming a no shoot when their behavior changes), works better with night vision...the only downsides are marginally more difficult concealment, the need to train to break iron sight habits, and cost.

There's a reason having an optic on a pistol throws you into a different competition division in literally every discipline.

Troll Medic likes this.
  8. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

THAT, is an awesome point brah. I will defyhave to start shopping around for the red dot option. And the atom slide. Is there anyway you can send me a link for them? I appreciate all the help and guidance!

9. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

10. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

The one where an RMR or a red dot is what makes a custom competition gun.

11. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

K.

It's also rare at the high level that non-optic winners are all that close to optic winners. At local matches, it happens when the iron shooters are just flat out better than the optic shooters.

It does not buy skill in an absolute sense. But once you get to grips with the technique differences, it typically makes you faster and more accurate.

Troll Medic likes this.