Pocket Pistol Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by DC Gatlin, Jan 19, 2017.

1. DC Gatlin

DC Gatlin
    Expand Collapse

I've neen shopping around for a pocket pistol. I would greatly appreciate any info y'all might have. Pros and cons of the different guns. I have been looking mainly at 380 caliber but I'm not oppoesed to 9mm. My main carry is an XDS 9. Thanks.

sk33tr likes this.
  2. DC Gatlin

DC Gatlin
    Expand Collapse

I meant shopping! LoL!

3. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

my cousin carries the ruger lcp custom as his pocket carry and seems to like it.

i don't carry a pocket pistol, but probably should, so i can't give any personal feedback on one. but from what i've read the ruger lcp and the smith & wesson bodyguard are 2 pretty good choices.

personally, i think i'd probably carry a single stack 9mm as a backup (most likely in an ankle holster). but if i was forced to pick a pocket pistol, then either of the 2 i mentioned would definitely make the list...very near the top, if not the top 2.

and when it comes down to it, the gun you have is better than the one you don't.

edit: i'll also add in the ruger lc9. it's capacity is 7+1 and looks like a very good choice for a pocket carry 9mm.

the only other pistil i've held or shot close to this size is the m&p shield. i really like the feel of it and it shoots pretty well right out of the box.

#3 sk33tr, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    charliefox likes this.
  4. charlie fox

charlie fox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

My choice in a small, lightweight.380 would be the LCP or Kahr CW380. Both are easy to carry and shoot. One thing I would caution - don't expect these guns to be competition pistols. They are best used on targets under 15 feet. Pick your favorite, load it with FMJ (you'll want 100% reliability and penetration) and practice.

5. Denny45acp

Denny45acp
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I carry a LC9, all most of the time and a 45acp in a bond arms derringer the rest.

Denny Shootsalot

6. MTFatboy

MTFatboy
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I gave up on pocket carry because I didn't like how long it took to fish the pistol from my pocket, and I didn't like having to find alternative locations for the gear already dedicated to that pocket. When I did pocket-carry, though, I carried a Sig P938 in a Remora holster, and I whole-heartedly recommend the setup. Printing was negligible, carry was comfortable and secure, and the p938 has night sights and a crisper trigger pull than almost any striker-fired pistol. The Kimber Micro Carry would be a good bet for the same reasons, and is now also available in 9mm. They cost more than a Ruger, but to me night sights and a decent trigger were worth it. The 938 starts at $610 shipped from Bud's right now:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...6/SIG+P938+9MM+3+MICRO+ARMY+GRN+2-TONE+SAO+NS

7. DC Gatlin

DC Gatlin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information.

MTFatboy likes this.
  8. Boat Captain

Boat Captain
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the Sig 938. I carry it in a belly band. The weight is negligible even while working.

Moped and MTFatboy like this.
  9. DC Gatlin

DC Gatlin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies.

10. Moped

Moped
    Expand Collapse

I use a pocket holster and carry a little Keltec P32, loaded with 73 gr ball. Concels great and at 10.5 oz loaded with 8 rounds, doesn't weight much more than your average pocket knife. There's never a reason not to carry it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

11. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

don't know why i didn't think of this in my original post.....

i think another good candidate for a pocket pistol is a small, hammer-less revolver; like the smith & wesson model 642. not having a hammer gives it the ability to fire from the pocket without having to remove it.

obviously you don't want to carry a gun in a pocket without a holster. but if it was absolutely necessary, i'd choose a revolver over a semi-auto. triggers on most revolvers, especially those of the size of the model 642, have a heavier trigger. and they can't be fired in single action as they have no hammer to pull back. also, pocket carrying something like this would really only work if you were wearing fairly loose pants/shorts or if you carried it in a the front pocket of a coat/jacket. as well, you'd obviously never want to put anything else in that same pocket while the gun was in there.

please note: i'm not advocating carrying a pistol (revolver or otherwise) without a holster. BUT, if it was just wan't feasible and you still needed to carry a firearm, then i'd definitely go with a small revolver with a heavier trigger.

charliefox likes this.
  12. Old Army Guy

Old Army Guy
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Perfect little pocket carry and still reliable after 90+ years.
    [​IMG]

mctacticool likes this.