Post-Apocalypse Vehicles

Discussion in 'Offroad, Overland And 4x4's' started by Shorttime, May 20, 2016.

1. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I really don't know if I ever saw the film???

I did, however, read the book...... A few times.....

All in all, I think a horse (or any living pack animal) would be terrible post SHTF. Look what happens to horses in The Walking Dead. And war novels. hehe....o_O

I think a good bicycle would be a nice way to 'travel'.... No worries about engine issues or noise. Quick & small enough to go around cars, even be carried if necessary over rough terrain.

Easy to fix, maintain, and probably easy to find spare parts, even a whole new bike in about any person's abandoned garage.

Worse comes to worst, you ride on the rims with a popped chain 'scooter style' until you find a better bicycle.

Plus, you could always jerry rig a kiddo tow behind cart as a sort of trailing Bug Out Cart, which could be detached from the bike and put on new one, or just pulled behind you walking to get weight off your back.

2. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

I like your style MVL! Smart!!

ManVsLawn and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I think that, like many things, there isn't one simple answer.

If I'm bugging out or traveling, I think some simple, carbureted diesel van would be my first choice. Stuff and people. Decently rugged. Probably easy to work on. Plus hand tools, some parts (belts, hoses, etc.), and a Haynes manual.

Traveling light, a VW bug dune buggy is really appealing. But, it's not practical for me and my family.

For short-ish individual excursions...i think I'd choose a fat bike.

[​IMG]

I'd add a luggage rack, water, tubes, patches, and tools. They can go damn near anywhere and are really easy to ride, especially in inclement weather and even up stairs. They're adventure bikes in the purest sense.

In the Real World (tm), I think the easy winner is "whatever you can steal that has a full tank and starts." Keeping up a full-fledged bug out vehicle, including occasionally driving it...which is necessary and creates additional maintenance costs....idk. It seems beyond a lot of people. But, that's also why old vans and fat bikes make sense. They're cheap and useful.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks

4. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Is it just me or is are the gears on the wrong side? They're usually on the right side of a bike. Wonder why that is.

5. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

6. stbob

stbob
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice