Quik Clot vs Celox

Discussion in 'First Aid' started by Pax tibi, May 9, 2014.

1. Pax tibi

Pax tibi
    Expand Collapse

What are the pro/cons of each? which one clots fast? What would you rather use? I'm really looking for opinions, especially from those in the medical field.

2. MedicDelta

MedicDelta
    Expand Collapse
    Emergency Medical Responder

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what you get. They're both great. I'm an EMT and I personally carry QuikClot in my personal medical kit. But that's just me. I've heard a tactical medic say that he preferred Celox before and I've heard some military medics say the opposite. It's all opinion based really. Either one is a great hemostatic agent and will work just fine for severe hemmorhages.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  3. Ian McDevitt

Ian McDevitt
    Expand Collapse

Ok, not bad, though it's a little more complicated than that. This is going to a simplified version of something that doesn't have to be complicated. One of the agents is a mineral based agent (quick-Clot), the other is Chitosin based (celox). They kind of work similar except the mineral based , the kaolin, fits in or activates the bodies clotting cascade ( which are the bodies steps it takes in order for blood to clot) it's believed this agent helps wounds clot quicker. The chitosin BASICALLY absorbs the fluid from the blood leaving the clotting agent, hence, wounds clot quicker. None of the agents work without your traditional steps to control bleeding i.e.: direct pressure, pressure dressing, yada, yada, yada. The chitosin can be absorbed by the body as glucosamine. This explanation contains none of the science behind it so don't anyone get their knickers in a twist. I personally use Rapid Celox and Celox-A. I'll tell you why later.....

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  4. charlie fox

charlie fox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

While I carry Quik Clot I see its use in a very narrow set of circumstances and echo a lot of what Ian said above. Direct pressure is your friend most of the time.

5. Frankenstein

Frankenstein
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Quick clot will not work for people on anti coagulants(Coumadin,warfarin)
    I'm not positive on the others(plavix, etc..) but my wife is in Coumadin so it's Celox for us I keep quick clot also as the sell a nice trauma pack and it could be useful for someone else in the scenario.

mctacticool likes this.
  6. biker4Christ

biker4Christ
    Expand Collapse

I've read somewhere that Quick Clot has to be cut away by the doctors in the ER where Celox doesn't. I'm not sure if the validity of that though. Did anyone else hear that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. biker4Christ

biker4Christ
    Expand Collapse

As an EMT in the past, direct pressure works most of the time. Adding an ice pack on a difficult bleed does wonders too as it constricts the vessels which slows the bleeding allowing a clot to form. Pressure points next, than a tourniquet as a last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mctacticool likes this.