Red dot for pistol . . .

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by Troll Medic, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Well, here it is . . . Going to buy a red dot for the P10c. Any suggestions, ( even better) anyone offering to trade or sell a used one, please PM me!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm not sure about mounting options for the P10c, but having used a handful, my short list is...

Aimpoint (t2, h2, t1, h1, in that order, if you can mount them and deal with the bulk)
    RMR Type 2
    Delta Point Pro

The Aimpoint is the best experience IMHO, but it is pretty bulky. And you pretty much have to use an Atom slide or a dovetail mount.

The RMR is the standard, and the Type 2 is better. They collect more debris and won't last as long as an aimpoint, but they're still good for most people...typical lifespand is 5000-10,000 rounds. I have round 10k on mine, and it's okay but in need of replacement.

I haven't owned a DP Pro, but I've shot them and know people who do. Battery life is not as good as the others, but they're easy to change.

All of the cheaper ones are, IMO, not suitable for carry. But for fun/competition/etc., I like vortex's offerings in the budget realm, as long as you're okay with an increased probability of warranty replacements early.

If the Aimpoint P-1 hits a reasonable price point, I'd bet it would top the list. In any case, IMHO, smaller dots are better. IF it doesn't come out soon, I'm going to put a T2 on my EDC, since I already have an atom mount for it.

Troll Medic likes this.
  3. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Brah, thank you for all the info! Working at a range now I hear ALOT from people on the red dot options for pistol, BUT, you are the first that has made it a point to separate plinking, competition, and EDC. I will DEFINITELY be looking at the Aimpoints! I hadn't even considered those. If you happen to hear of anyone offering one up (used) for a reasonable amount or if the want some frame work done to their pistol in exchange, let me know! And thanks again for the info!
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Sadly, I don't know too many people selling them, which is kind of a good thing in a weird way.

It is more complicated to mount them...pretty much the only ways I know of are the LaRue dovetail mount, ATOM slides, or the Raven Balor.

I've used the first two, and the Atom system is pretty much the best out there. Unfortunately, it's a $500 slide and ~$50 plates. The Balor is probably the best compromise, but it also precludes the use of a Striker Control Device. Also, those only work with Glock 9 (and I think 40) models.

It's expensive. IMO, it's worth it.