Show your leatherman

Discussion in 'Knives & Multi-Tools' started by tal_bushcraft, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Antithetik

Antithetik
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Survivor

2. Antithetik

Antithetik
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Survivor

3. Antithetik

Antithetik
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Survivor

4. Antithetik

Antithetik
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Survivor

5. abzolut100

abzolut100
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone. I like to carry the Squirt more so than the Juice and Wave. IMG_1397.JPG

6. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

7. Antithetik

Antithetik
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Survivor

8. Hi-Up Lineman

Hi-Up Lineman
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

9. Old Army Guy

Old Army Guy
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

10. Antithetik

Antithetik
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Survivor

11. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

I decided to upgrade one of my black waves today. It is my favorite LMT, but I hate the 420hc they use for the main blade. Took apart one of my old Charge ALs I had laying around and switched the main blades. Happy with this layout. The wave just fits my pocket better than the Charge(scales make it fat) and I like the mostly black finish of my wave.

[​IMG]

Loneslinger likes this.
  12. znapschatz

znapschatz
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Nice job, but what do you have against 420HC? It doesn't hold an edge as well as 154CM, but for occasional use, it stays reasonably sharp for a long time, certainly for most multi-tool purposes where it is used more or less occasionally. I prefer a dedicated knife for sustained use.

13. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Edge retention is my biggest gripe with 420hc. I've been carrying a fixed blade, a folder, and an LMT edc for a longtime and continually find that I am almost always only reaching out to the Leatherman. I determined that my LMT blade is my dedicated utility blade. I only sharpen once a week now vs almost daily. I use the shit of my LMTs. Decided to carry only the LMT and a small defensive fixed this summer. Had been carrying my Charge Tti cause I'm an s30v fan, but am almost happier with the wave. It seems lighter and smaller in my pocket.

14. znapschatz

znapschatz
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

You probably have the current version of the Tti, which weighs almost 8.89 oz, while the previous Charge (mine) weighs 8.2 oz, not a huge difference, but it often amazes me how, when it comes to EDC, ounces counces :D . A Wave, however, weighs in at 8.5 oz., so we're talking only a 1/3 oz. difference between that and the new Charge, even less noticeable to me because I use a belt sheath. The Titanium grips, however, do add some bulk, worth it to me because of better hand comfort - not a lot, but we are talking small differences. I carry my mts almost every day, but don't use the blades as often as you probably do, so they can go for a while between resharpening, even the 420HC versions on the Rebar and Super Tool 300.

dmak likes this.
  15. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Here's my users. I have a few more laying around but these are the ones I dig.

[​IMG]

sk33tr and znapschatz like this.
  16. znapschatz

znapschatz
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Apparently, I was mistaken in thinking you had the newer version Tti. My collection is a bit more modest, but all I really need. Not pictured: Juice S2, Squirt PS4, and Style CS. Practically, the only ones I use any more are the Charge, Rebar, Squirt P4 and Micra. Every once in a while when I go somewhere locking blades are not legal, I pocket the PST, my first from 1996, but the last time was years ago. The ones I carry most are the Charge and Rebar. This season and last two, I installed my window ACs with the Micra, just for fun.

[​IMG]

sk33tr and dmak like this.
  17. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Nice collection. When I rebuilt my Jeep I used my Surge and ST300 as often as possible. With the bit extender and a 1/4" adapter I can use socket heads easy enough. Wanted to know that I could rebuild the thing on the side of the trail with the fewest tools possible. I was surprised at how much I was able to do with the LMT.

I've been blessed with amazing deals on all the ones pictured above. Highest price I paid was $40 for the Charge Tti and $40 for the Surge. Everything else came cheaper. The Rebar is an awesome one, such a robust little tool. I need to give it another go in the EDC rotation cause I know it's smaller and just as capable. Typically, the Charge Tti or the BO Wave are the daily drivers. I like the one handed blade/tools on the Wave series. The Rebar is typically riding on my plate carrier but will ride out with me today.

znapschatz likes this.
  18. znapschatz

znapschatz
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Yow! $40 each for a Charge Tti and a Surge! I thought I caught a break with mine for $80 NIB (actually, I did, but $40 is in another category altogether). I had a Surge for a while, thought I could deal with the extra weight. On paper, it didn't seem like such a much, but after a while, I had to admit defeat and sold it off for what I had paid for it to someone more manly (or masochistic) than me. The Super Tool was my second Leatherman, and I rocked it almost exclusively for 9 years, paired with the Micra for scissors and supplementary tools. Then Leatherman came out with the Wave/Charge, and the OHO feature was too useful to resist, also the bit holder and kit. One thing led to another, including brief in-and-out detours into Victorinox multi-tools, and before being aware of it, I became a hobbyist. But Leathermen suited me better, so my brother got the Swisstool Spirit. He loves it, so everybody is happy. As Father Flanagan tells us; there is no such thing as a bad multi-tool.

dmak likes this.
  19. HaileStorm

HaileStorm
    Expand Collapse

I just have two Leatherman mutitools, the Wingman and the Squirt PS4[​IMG]

20. stbob

stbob
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

Got my first leatherman back in the 90's during the Marlboro cigarettes country store promo. Since then, i've quit smoking many moons ago, but unless someone starts building something better, will never give up my leatherman...

At work...
    [​IMG]

And at play...
    [​IMG]