Snack kits, anyone?

Discussion in 'Other EDC Items' started by mooshi, Mar 13, 2016.

1. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Does anybody have an "EDC Snack Pack" that they've put together?

I've always had at least a Clif Bar in my backpack from my university days. I also kept a Jetboil and some canned soup and ramen in the car (I was the kid who spent 14 hours on campus. Yup. THAT kid).

At my old job, there were days when I ran out of the house to work and forgot my lunch in the fridge.

I came up with a large kit to keep in my work bag for these days. Since then, I'd continued to look for things to swap in/out of the kit.

[​IMG]

This is the larger one that I'd have in that work bag.

[​IMG]

The contents are as follows: (These are constantly changing, but some of the core components are there)
    1. Lara Bar
    2. Justin's nut butter pouches
    3. Clif Bar
    4. spork
    5. fruit leather
    6. tinned fish salad + crackers
    7. tea
    8. Emergen-C
    9. graham crackers
    10. Hi-Chew candies
    11. bagged candies (shown above: butter toffee peanuts, gummy bears)
    Now that I get fed at work, I don't worry about this anymore. It's nice to have in the car or locker, though. There's enough stuff in there to get me through a good portion of the day until I can get to a full meal.

[​IMG]

This smaller one I keep in my daily bag in case I need a pick-me-up. Have I mentioned how much I love these little snack boxes from the Dollar Tree before? ;)

[​IMG]

Contents:
    1. honey packets (These are great!)
    2. Justin's nut butter packet
    3. Hi-Chew candies
    4. tea
    5. drink mixes
    6. Nucita candy + spoon thingie it comes with
    What kinds of snacks do you carry around? :)

stbob, ManVsLawn, Mill321 and 6 others like this.
  2. Justin J

Justin J
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I bring a tote bag of snacks to my office every other monday and lock it all in my desk so i don't have to remember to pack any snacks for a prolonged time. these include...

10 microwavable ramens
    10 cans sardines in hot sauce (to mix into the ramen)
    12+ packs of seaweed chips, i get the 10-for-$10 store brand.
    12+ protein bars, reaching for the dollar-each ones here too (Zoneperfect is in my price range a lot lately)

3. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I loved it when I worked in an office and had my own desk drawer full of snacks! haha I had my own coffee shop in there. :p

At some point I bought a Rapid Ramen Cooker. It seems like a gimmick, but it actually works well and is a well made product. The guy behind the business is wonderful, as well. All that aside, it cooked the noodles to a nice consistency, and when you had extras to toss in (tuna, leftover meats, cheese, frozen/canned veggies, jerky, hot sauce, etc...) it made for a nice office meal!

ManVsLawn and charliefox like this.
  4. c99c

c99c
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I keep cans and pouches of tuna, a container of almonds and at least one jar of peanut butter at work.
    I don't normally eat while I'm there, but it's nice to have in case I need a little boost of energy or I end up working longer than expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

For the tuna, do you get the readily flavored type?

If plain, do you have other things around to add to it like mayo packets, relish packets, hot sauce...?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. Revs

Revs
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I usually have a couple of the snack items out of an MRE in my bag. Reminds me, I need to grab a few more MREs from work tomorrow. Running out of snacks. The crackers and jerky are great.

I've been known to keep a box of granola bars in my pack, as well. Not into the sugar free drink mixes, but have found unsweetened tea mixes in the past and carried them.

ManVsLawn and Jack like this.
  7. c99c

c99c
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

8. c99c

c99c
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I've tried a couple of the flavors before, but mostly just stick to the plain stuff.

I'll add Tabasco sauce (also kept at work) or dried and ground hot pepper from the garden to it sometimes.

I don't mind the taste of it plain, though.

ManVsLawn and mooshi like this.
  9. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I love the lemon poppyseed poundcake the best! :D

I'm not a huge fan of them either, but I'll still carry a couple for when I don't want plain water. I'll always drink tea first if given the option, though. Aside from the fake sugar aftertaste, I still think a lot of those mixes are too sweet when you go by the manufacturer's recommendations. A lot of the time I use some ridiculous dilution like 10% of what was called for. :) There is ONE flavor (grape) from work that I enjoy though.

ManVsLawn and Revs like this.
  10. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

First of subbed, i work 12 hour nightshifts so anything that makes my night better is allways welcome...

Second i carry some müslibars (cereal bars ??) in my work bag, beef jerky if i have it and a bag of candy if i have it...

Love the beef jerky but if i want it at a payable price i have to import it in bulk from germany...

Seriously though whats the us price for a small bag of jerky ?? Here i pay about 2$ for 25grams/0.88 ounce...

ManVsLawn and reppans like this.
  11. mooshi

mooshi
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I don't recall the price or regular jerky in the grocery stores, but I get mine for about $1.00/ounce, give or take, at the Asian snack market. (Haha We do indeed have a shops dedicated to just snacks where you choose from giant tubs and pay by weight.) It's cheaper for the normal stuff, but my favorite is curried jerky.

I know it costs a lot more in the grocery store for packaged jerky.

ManVsLawn and mctacticool like this.
  12. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

At work I keep some basic long-term storage items, such as ramen, canned single serve soup and canned fruit in my locker. In my bag I carry a granola bar or two (living in the hot humid South I've learned to carry NOTHING that melts) and some drink flavor packets.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. BOOM!

BOOM!
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I wish I could carry something`like this.

But I'm lazy with grocery shopping, & I get the munchies on a daily basis, so they'd never last long :D

#13 BOOM!, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    ManVsLawn likes this.
  14. reppans

reppans
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I like the occasional afternoon coffee/tea and snack - my messenger bag EDC.

[​IMG]

15. QuodErat

QuodErat
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

As a teaching sub, I don't have a room of my own, so I just throw an item or two in the lunch pail. (Pics in this space later today.;))

ManVsLawn and mctacticool like this.
  16. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i just keep 2 or 3 kind bars in my edc bag. i also keep a couple of those and couple of he nature's valley bars in my range bag. it really sux when you're at the range for an extended period and get shaky 'cause you haven't eaten in a while.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. stbob

stbob
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

"Man does not live by bread alone." With that said, thank the heavens for pb&j... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back to the basics when you don't have the luxury of a homemade meal...
    [​IMG]

Just add some hot water and now you're livin' large... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I like it.

The thought has crossed my mind to keep some canned tuna/salmon available. But, I'm honestly not sure how well they deal with heat from storage. Obviously, they're fine in a cupboard...but, I'm not sure about how they'd fare in a car.

I know I sound like a broken record, but getting used to fasting (and eating near-zero carb) has really reduced my "need" for snacks. I used to be one of those people who got severely hangry when my blood sugar dropped. But, after the adjustment period, that completely disappeared.

I do carry packets of salt (potassium chloride and Himalayan pink salt) because that's something you need to replenish regularly. But, that and water are about it.

19. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

In the bag I have a couple of Clif bars, a bag of Jelly Babies, and some Uncle Joe's Mint Balls (legendary boiled sweets / hard candy). In my work locker, more Clif bars and some Belvita breakfast biscuits. In the car, yet more Clif bars, UJMBs, many water bottles, and a couple of Beyond The Beaten Track self-heating meals.

Watching this thread with interest for more ideas with long use-by dates.