The bad luck thread...

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by sk33tr, Apr 19, 2017.

1. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i started to post this in my ccw thread, but thought i'd start a new thread for all those times when bad luck happens. whether it be with firearms themselves, ammo, holster, or anything else related to firearms.

and here's mine....(it's a bit of reading, so please bear with me)

i went to the range earlier today to do some training. second time in a week so i was extra happy to get to go so often after the previous time.

well, i got home and was getting out of my truck. i grabbed my bag (rush delivery lima) from the passenger seat, where it always rides, and threw the strap over my neck and onto my left shoulder. i step out of the truck and go to adjust the bag when i heard the sound.

WHACK!!!

i knew what it was the instant it happened. i looked down, and, sure enough, there's my gun laying on the ground. or more accurately, the concrete driveway. the first second was my not believing it didn't go off when it hit the ground. the next few seconds were me saying things i won't repeat here. when i picked it up, i gave it a good looking over to see if anything was broken; mostly paying attention to the sights. the rear sight had a pretty good mark on the left, rear corner. i imagine that's where it hit directly. i just put it back in my holster, went inside and started to put all my stuff away in the usual places. then i got the gun back out of the holster to inspect it closer. i cleared it then proceeded to look at it very closely to make sure nothing was actually broken. i just knew the left side of the rear sight would be damaged and that the tritium wouldn't glow in the dark anymore. but i cleaned it up as best i could and took it somewhere dark to make sure all 3 vials still lit up like they should. and so far, all is well with the sights. they still glow in the dark and the fiber optic still picks up the daylight well.

so i put it back in the holster and put it in its normal place until after supper.

later, i took it out to clean it and that's when i noticed something else. when i tried to disassemble it, i couldn't pull down the slide release lever to allow the slide to come off for cleaning. i pulled as hard as i could, until the ends of my fingers were damn near bleeding, but it would hardly move. i noticed i could get one side to go all the way down, but the other side wouldn't move with it. so i pulled one side down, held it as best i could, and flipped the gun over and pulled the other side as far down as i could. the slide finally released and came off. when i went to inspect the inside of the frame where the slide release sits, that's when i noticed what had happened. the slide release itself had bent from the force of the gun hitting the driveway and driving the slide forward. it took some effort, but i FINALLY got the gun fully disassembled and got the bent slide release removed.
    it was an aftermarket part with the little wings, the part you pull with your fingertips, extended out a bit to make it easier to grab. luckily i still have the factory part so for now it's back in. and i'll have to order a new, extended part as i have trouble pulling the factory part down. i have to use my fingernails to do it and i don't having to do that; that's why i bought the one i had in there. anyway....here's a pic of how bent it is. and it's a crappy pic 'cause i tried to get as close as i could and still get a halfway decent pic...

[​IMG]

tldr: messed up my gun; look at the pic.

2. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

Glock slide lock in that picture? Glad you at least got it sorted without having to spend a bunch of money!

3. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

And before needing it in a bad situation...

4. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

yes, it is. and yes, i was at least happy i still had the oem part i could put back in...for now.

very true. that's been part of my training lately. we're moving away from just standing there shooting at targets; now we're onto target acquisition, target discern (threats vs. non-threats; i.e., hostage situation with shooter behind victim), moving and shooting, reloading drills, etc.

and while the bent piece didn't keep the gun from actually working or cycling properly, it did keep it from being able to be field-stripped in a few seconds; which i'd gotten down to less than 3 (pretty proud about that one, tbh).

5. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

so when i got home, i had an email from the company from whom i ordered the slide release. i'd sent them a message inquiring about the warranty. i told them i wasn't looking for anything free and was going to purchase a new one regardless, but was just curious. and this is what they said:

i could hardly believe it. i was so shocked.....and happy. as i said, and told them, i wasn't looking for anything free, but was just curious and asking a question. and i was totally prepared to order a new one today when i got home from work.

i told them THAT'S how you do customer service and that i would definitely be a loyal customer and tell others about it when i could.

it's a shame too many other companies don't treat their customers like this, even when it's the customer's (my) fault.

Ben Rubinstein, Lou_G and kertap75 like this.
  6. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Bad luck turned to good luck right there... Incredible customer service...

sk33tr and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  7. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

exactly! i almost started a new thread, but decided to just post it in here, lol.

mctacticool likes this.