The junk carried after carrying junk for a long time...... And other random thoughts.

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by A4VC, Feb 2, 2016.

1. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

How dare I!

The remake was updated for modern current events and was entertaining. Still like the original much better.

mctacticool, Firefly and Gallows like this.
  2. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

[​IMG]

Everything we hear is opinion, not fact. Everything we see is perspective, not truth.

-M. Aurelius

3. SRVCTEC

SRVCTEC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Nice boots! What brand and which style?

Gallows, Firefly and Antithetik like this.
  4. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

@SRVCTEC

Red Wing Iron Rangers #4556. Completely digging these. The boot I've always wanted just how I wanted them...... almost.

Perfect boot IMHO? Bring back the brown Red Wing Skytrooper but with a Vibram sole.

5. SRVCTEC

SRVCTEC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Thanks! Redwing slip on boots were what I wore growing up on the farm 35+ years ago because that's what my dad wore and they could stand up to lots of abuse.

Ben Rubinstein, Gallows and Firefly like this.
  6. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

I wore them daily on the farm 40 years ago. Forgot about the brand. Was looking for a good, non-tactical boot for everyday wear. Ended up with two pairs of Red Wings. Like some of the Chippewa's too but there was no where locally to try them on.

7. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Stupid question. When I was a kid, I remember a lot of mink farms in the area where I grew up. What really struck me was how awful they smelled! Now, fast forward a bunch of decades and I haven't seen a mink farm for a really long time. Obviously, the anti-fur movement has probably shut most of them down and the area I am in isn't very conducive to mink farms either. Anyway, I just conditioned a pair of boots with mink oil. If a mink farm stinks so bad, why doesn't mink oil smell really bad?

Just wondering.

8. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I dont think its the Mink it self that smells, but more the fecal matters the mink produces... Kinda like pet rats, the animal itself doesnt smell but for the love of god the urine stinks so bad...

9. Firefly

Firefly
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Close, but it's probably fluid secreted by their anal glands (i.e. scent glands).
    Many animals have these glands and they are used for marking territory.

10. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Almost same sh*t, but i would imagine territorial scents being on overdrive in an minkfarm environment...

11. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

Makes sense. Stupid question anyway. Guess the mink oil comes from the fat of the animal, I was originally thinking it was like lanolin that is from sheep wool and rendered during the cleaning of the wool prior to spinning into yarn.

12. Firefly

Firefly
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Haha! Almost is right!
    I can only imagine that most of those animals aren't thrilled to be in that situation (confined space, stuck with others - especially if they're solitary animals....I don't know) and, like you said, their need to mark their territory must be going haywire!

13. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

[​IMG]

For a nice Saturday afternoon!

Everything we hear is opinion, not fact. Everything we see is perspective, not truth.

-M. Aurelius

14. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

[​IMG]

Getting these boots broken in!

-M. Aurelius

15. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I like the quote. And the boots.

I've shot it into ballistics gel, and it does. It wasn't scientific, but every round was right at 15 inches and photoshoot perfect expansion once retrieved, except a small deformation in one that hit another bullet.

As for setback...I've had it happen more with 5.56 than 9. Basically, when a 5.56 bullet gets too scratched for my arbitrary standards, it gets put into an "I'm going to shoot it in training" mag, and I haven't had a problem. My HSTs have never suffered from it, though I rotate through chambering 4 rounds (top of my 3 carry mags and the Barney) and unload them a few times a week.

I shoot my carry mags empty about every 6 months and shoot the most damaged top/Barney round about once a month (and replace it out of my stash).

It's probably overkill.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks

Gallows and Antithetik like this.
  16. A4VC

A4VC
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

@moostapha

Not thinking what you're doing is overkill since a lot of manufacturers stopped putting a secondary crimp on carry ammo for pistols. I don't know why they did this except to sell more ammo at the expense of safety when the OAL lessens. I read somewhere that setback was an issue for revolvers under recoil, hence the secondary crimp on .357's.

When looking for some new carry ammo, and upon looking for ammo with a double crimp, one jacka$$ at a store told me, "Well, you should only load the pistol once anyway." I asked him about training, storage, and a plethora of other issues. He just looked at me like I was smoking crack or something. Then he brought up some bull about the secondary crimp causing reliability issues. When pointing out that it was at the base of the bullet, so there was no way it could cause a reliability issue, he again looked at me like I was smoking crack. He's a retired cop so is entitled to his opinion, I'm entitled to mine about him since he rode a desk in dispatch for the majority of his career. (Not a slight on dispatchers, but a definite slight on cops who hide inside and then run their sucks about being a cop.)

Another case of a moron working at a gun store. And, he cost them a sale.

So, we'll see how the HST's hold up. It sucks having to pay for carry ammo nowadays.

-M. Aurelius

17. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Yeah....the level of training a lot of cops get is scary. I have tremendous respect for the profession, but...it still scares me how much work they put into passing their quals. If the shop ever decides it's not a waste of time, I have to shoot it too, and I'm just worried about the 25yd shots because I want a perfect score.

It makes sense, since most cops go their entire careers without drawing their duty weapon off a range. But it's still scary.

About ammo....

Part of keeping the slightly damaged rounds and testing them came from a conversation with some of my co-workers (retired military and current reservists) who apparently fed their M4s with all manner of jacked up m193 and m855 rounds with zero problems of any kind. The most highly trained person in the shop said to just cycle them to the bottom of a mag when they get scratched up and throw them away if setback becomes visible (which it hasn't).

I want to see how they're going to work. But, it'll be a while until I have a full mag of damaged 5.56 rounds. That's also going to be an expensive day, since the cheapest I can find Barnes vor-tx is a little over $1/round.

The only time I've actually seen setback was with Atlanta Arms reloads while I was breaking in my 1911. It was having some feeding problems at the time, and apparently the slide jammed a round straight into the feed ramp instead of into the chamber....it was very noticeably 1/8" shorter than the rest, so I recovered it after finishing the stage and threw it away so no one else would scrounge it off the floor and think it's okay.

As for the HST, I've fired more than a lot of people (because I find it for about 65c/round online) but not a whole lot of it....I've emptied my carry mags for my 19 and m&p twice (35+35+33+33=136) and shot about a box through each of 4 guns to ensure reliability. There have been zero issues of any kind. It's fantastic ammo.

Gold Dots are the only other things I've seen carried by someone as anal as me or treated the same. And, apparently, they work just as well. He's shot more than me because he trains a lot more and would rather shoot his carry ammo than "bitch out on a drill" because he grabbed the wrong mag.

Probably the best thing you can do if you practice a good bit (and assuming it's not an enforced cold range) is to swap the mag before you start and just let your first shot be the already chambered round of your carry ammo.

It lets you see how your cold-shooter shot is going to be with your carry ammo and forces you to periodically cycle out the bullet that's most likely to fail.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks

#117 moostapha, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Gallows, A4VC, Ben Rubinstein and 2 others like this.
  18. c99c

c99c
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

No matter if I'm shooting weekly or bi-weekly, I start every range trip by shooting the round in the chamber and the mag that's in the gun. Normally at the bare minimum, I'll also shoot at least another mag or two of whatever I'm carrying.

Good HP loads aren't cheap when compared to practice ammo, but the cost is well worth it to me.

I'm picking up a new pistol this week so this weekend's range trip will be an expensive one as ill have to see what loads it likes the best. It is what it is, though. I don't smoke, drink or have any hobbies that are expensive and our SD guns are a priority in our house.

HSTs and Gold Dots are what we carry and you can find them for decent prices if you look around. Ive also been impressed with the Critical Duty loads I've tested out.

Gallows, Antithetik, A4VC and 2 others like this.
  19. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I have not been impressed with Hornady. The results posted on lucky Gunner's blog weren't exactly good, and the one round of each we fired were all pretty far from the median they posted (but still within what their gel showed). Our testing wasn't scientific, but if I may only get one shot...based on my research and that small sample, it's going to be HST.

But, I'm also heavily invested in my stockpile of it. It's almost to the point that if a gun won't feed it, I'd rather get rid of the gun than stockpile 2 kinds of ammo.

Antithetik, A4VC and c99c like this.
  20. c99c

c99c
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I've not done any expansion/penetration tests with the CD, but have been very impressed with the accuracy and low recoil it delivers and have heard good things about it from friends in LE who have tested it's performance against common barriers.

I agree on not keeping a pistol that won't do well with HST ( or Gold Dots for that matter). Luckily I've yet to run into any of ours that have an issue with it. The CD also runs around $7 more per 50 round box when compared to HSTs where I normally buy so it's really a no brainer.