the wonderful word of nolaradio (now in Technicolor)

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by nolaradio, Feb 20, 2016.

1. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

That movie haunts my nightmares.

#81 dmak, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    QuodErat and Hermit of Venice like this.
  2. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I'm giving everyone fair warning that this post is going to contain some pretty graphic pictures of an injury to my leg. If that kind of stuff grosses you out, you should probably stop reading now. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen some of these already.

This is going to be a long read too.

A little background first. I work part time for the Tammany Trace. It's a Rails to Trails multi use path that runs about 30 miles through St. Tammany Parish in Louisiana. As a trace ranger, we patrol in small utility trucks or on scooters. We mainly enforce some rules, provide information/directions to the public and do minor maintenance along the trace.

So back on July 15, I was involved in an accident while riding one of the Honda scooters. This is similar to what I was riding that day.

[​IMG]

I stopped at an intersection then proceeded through it. I looked over my left shoulder at someone finishing up changing a flat in his bicycle. As I was looking at him, I drifted to my left. I looked back forward just in time to see one of the yellow bollards that are meant to keep vehicles off the path. Here's a picture of one of them.

[​IMG]

Those little 4' bastards don't play around. I caught the bollard on the left side of the scooter at about 15 mph. It slid down the side of the scooter and grabbed my leg. After I took a ride on the bollard for about two seconds (which felt like two minutes) it threw me off to the right.

Here's my legs about 30 minutes later while at the urgent care center I was taken to fire first aid and a drug test.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They didn't do too much other than clean me up some and wrap the wound and send me in my way.

A few hours later...
    [​IMG]

Two days later... Looks like a burn but that's dead tissue.
    [​IMG]

Here's some more pictures from over the last two months. I was prescribed an ointment that performs a chemical debridement. Looked like things were going fine for a while. A month later, I went from not being able to bend my leg much to being able to squat completely. Still had some redness and minor swelling but I was told that since it was such a large hematoma, it might be months until the swelling was totally gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New skin was slowly starting to grow and fill in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was two weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Went for a follow up with wound care. There was some dead tissue that the nurse felt needed to be removed by hand. Left the appointment looking like this with instructions on how to pack it and keep it clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday afternoon I felt a fever coming on. Went home from work and took some Aleve, showed and went to sleep. Woke up Saturday still having a fever. Took the son to work, picked up a few things on the way home, took more medicine, then crashed on the couch.

I woke up around 2:30 in a pool of sweat. Took more medicine and started to change the wound packing. This little one inch deep hole was leaking like the mighty Mississippi and smelled terrible. Figured it was infected and headed off to the emergency room. I thought maybe they would give me an IV antibiotic and send me home with a prescription. Boy was I wrong.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

3. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I was admitted that night. Ultrasounds and an MRI proved that the cavity was larger than what could be seen from the surface. I was told that it was about the size of a golf ball. The plan was to open up the wound, remove any remaining dead tissue, clean things up, then follow up with wound vac therapy for a few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the first sponge was removed, you can already see some granulation beginning

[​IMG]

moostapha likes this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Holy crap....

Prognosis?

5. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Supposedly everything will heal from the inside out. They even expect the other skin to close on its own. No stitches are expected. Doctor expects everything to take two to three weeks to heal. We'll see.

mctacticool likes this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That's crazy just from hitting one of those traffic barriers.

I'm not trying to minimize your pain or what happened...just remarking on the human body being really weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mctacticool likes this.
  7. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

This whole experience has been nothing but weird... to say the least.

mctacticool likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Our of professional/personal curiosity...what drugs were you on while your leg was that open?

mctacticool likes this.
  9. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

None. Only pain I have experienced so far was the removal of the dressings after surgery. Some of it was stuck to the sides kind of like velcro. There was a little pain when the new sponge was stuffed in but it only lasted a couple of minutes. By the time the vac was turned back on I was fine.

Now if I poke the area with my finger it hurts. So I just don't poke it. No pain walking or getting in and out of the car. Haven't tried squatting yet for fear that the plastic will tear and unseal the vacuum.

10. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Makes sense. Kind of. I'm actually a little surprised about it not hurting to open it like that.

mctacticool likes this.
  11. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I was surprised when I came to after the surgery. My leg just felt a little sore. Kind of like after a good leg day at the gym. I was up on it walking to the bathroom two hours later.

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  12. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Holy crap, thats a big injury... All the best wishes on a speedy recovery without anymore hiccups...

13. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

On my third sponge. Wound looks pretty good compared to when this started last Tuesday. [​IMG]

mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  14. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

Wow, I hope your recovery is speedy! At least you got that wound cavity treated correctly instead of waiting it out.

mctacticool likes this.
  15. Blitzwing

Blitzwing
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

I'm sorry but i had a flashback to the movie "The Thing" [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

charlie fox and mctacticool like this.
  16. EDCP-MIKE

EDCP-MIKE
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member Charter Member

Damn! That's a nasty looking wound. It's a good thing you got the infection under control when you did! Glad you're on the mend.

mctacticool likes this.
  17. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

So I got discharged on Thursday September 28th. Sent me home with a wound vac attached to my leg and a PICC line installed in my right arm to deliver antibiotics intravenously. The PICC line came out yesterday. Glad that happened because it was irritating my skin.
    I go later this evening to the wound clinic to get the wound VAC dressing changed again. I've lost track of how many times they've changed it, this is maybe the fourth or fifth time. Looks better and better each time they remove it. Workers comp is dragging ass on approving a couple of different dressings that they claimed can help speed up the healing process.
    Here's a picture from the last visit this past Monday.

[​IMG]

I return back to work that my full-time job on Monday as well. Things have been pretty good. Light desk duty only. The supervisors have been great with helping me out and covering for me while I'm leaving to go to different doctor visits. Everyone is jealous of my man purse. I'll be glad when I get rid of it though.
    [​IMG]

18. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Looks like its slowly and steadily healing up ?? How many months have you been dealing with this now ??

19. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

The accident happened on July 15th. It was all superficial and we never thought that there was any open cavity underneath the skin. Wasn't until I went in a couple of weeks ago that we discovered that dime-sized hole that was about 1 inch deep. And even at that time we didn't think that it tunneled . I guess it was a good thing that got infected. Otherwise who knows what all that necrotic tissue under the skin would have done to my leg. One doctor told me if the staph infection went untreated it could have turned serious.

Lou_G, moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  20. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I'm really at a loss for words, to think what looked like a big bruise turned out this way is, well unthinkabke to be honest...

Ben Rubinstein likes this.