the wonderful word of nolaradio (now in Technicolor)

Discussion in 'Personal EDC' started by nolaradio, Feb 20, 2016.

1. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Here ya go. Top is the day after surgery. Bottom is the same picture from last week. [​IMG]

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

moostapha, Tabasco and mctacticool like this.
  2. Tabasco

Tabasco
    Expand Collapse

Wishing you well and a full recovery! The busy seasons are coming!

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That's crazy.

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  4. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

The body is an amazing machine, isn't it?

moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  5. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Here's a picture from this past Monday. They didn't measure it so I'm not sure how deep it is but it's very shallow. Last week it needed a 6" square bandage to fully cover the area. Left Monday with a 4" square bandage covering it. That's a good thing from where I'm sitting.
    I get a little pain every now and then on the outside of the wound along with some itching. Nothing unbearable though.
    I was doing a lot of walking this past Sunday at an event I went to. I noticed I was OK walking. But after standing in the same spot for about ten minutes while talking to others, my leg would get sore. I just tried to keep moving or I retreated back to my chair for a while to sit. Maybe by the end of the year I'll be done with the bandages too.
    I'm back at work Saturday at the party time job that I was working when I had the accident. Just in time for some crappy weather to move in this weekend. Looks like I'll be stuck in one of the tiny trucks for patrolling. Hopefully the leg will be alright.

[​IMG]

Reverence and mctacticool like this.
  6. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

It certainly looks better than it did when they first found out how bad it was...

Reverence likes this.
  7. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Wow. That really looks a lot better.

mctacticool likes this.
  8. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Well today we have the kids have the rare "snow day" here in southeast Louisiana. What a crock of bull$hit!
    Schools are closed, all government offices (except for emergency services) are closed and several business told their employees to take the day off. Where am I? I'm at work like a normal person.
    I left the house around 4:45 this morning and there was just a light bit of frozen rain falling. I wouldn't even call it sleet. About 20 miles north of me and about 30 miles west, they're experiencing actual snow that is accumulating on the ground. The frozen rain has turned into just rain since I've been at work.
    People around here freak out when we get this type of nasty wet and cold weather. I guess it's for the best. Maybe most of the people who can't drive in the rain will be staying home today and the streets will be safer for me.
    Wish I had some amazing pictures of snow to share, but I really don't think it's going to reach where I am at. Looks like it's going to be cold and wet the rest of the day though. Sunrise is in 5 minutes so I may go out in a little bit and see what all the excitement is about.
    If you want to see some snow pictures from Louisiana, check out nola.com . That's our local paper's website. I'm sure they'll have something posted there.

moostapha and mctacticool like this.
  9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

So your entire area shuts down over the kind of weather we have for 8 months out of the year ??

What the frack ?? I've never let bad weather stop me, i had an entire extreme winter with -20C and kneehigh snow, still did my patrols and alarmresponse duties...

10. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Yep. People here can handle a hurricane but throw a little snow into the mix and they freak out.

#150 nolaradio, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    mctacticool likes this.
  11. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

That is sad...

12. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Spoke too soon. About 25 minutes ago we started getting some white stuff. Now no one is doing anything at work.

mctacticool likes this.
  13. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

So after about 30 minutes, the southern snow is starting to get lighter. Here's my car.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#153 nolaradio, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Nekolf and mctacticool like this.
  14. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

A quick video of when the snow first started.

15. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Don't you have a mustang ??

16. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Nope. My daughter recently sold hers though.

mctacticool likes this.
  17. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Slacked off for a while but coming down heavier again.

18. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Wonder where i got the idea that you had a red cobra or saleen mustang...

19. nolaradio

nolaradio
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

My wife had a red GT when I first met her. Hated driving that thing.

mctacticool likes this.
  20. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

We got a little more than that overnight.

My neighborhood facebook has a thread about road conditions. Which is funny...because it hasn't been cold enough to freeze and won't get cold enough to freeze at least through tomorrow.

There are "slick" patches in parking lots where the slush builds up...if you'r dumb enough to turn the wheel hard and brake at the same time. It's enough that burnouts would be easy to do without serious tire damage but not enough to pose a danger unless you're an idiot.

The problem is that a lot of people are idiots. It wasn't that much worse than this when the whole city shut down for a week after the governor declared a state of emergency and sent everyone home...which turned a light snow into a catastrophe of a traffic jam that turned 45 minute comutes into 20 hour+ survival exercises and left abandoned cars on all of the interstates and highways for days.

For people not in the south...it's a different world down here when it comes to winter weather. Part of it is people over-reacting. A lot of it is that you have to go a long way to get any real practice driving in it. So, if the conditions are more slippery than rain, anyone who's kind of dumb and almost everyone driving a pickup truck is going to lose control either from not understanding that less input = better or because there's no weight over their rear wheels.

I've actually seen multiple people rear-end someone and try to explain it away by saying something like "I jammed the brakes and even pulled the hand brake and the car just kept going"....and the crazy thing is that I've seen cops rule it a no-fault accident (between one of those idiots and a parked car) because they didn't know any better. And about half of the times I've driven in snow down here, I've run a red light at some point because I saw a pickup truck coming towards me in the rear view....who jammed the brakes and didn't understand why his truck was all of a sudden going sideways.

Additionally, they just don't sell real winter clothing, houses aren't insulated properly, almost no one has backup heat of any kind, and the government overreacts to everything, which makes it worse. So, if it actually gets cold...people die in their homes from not understanding hypothermia.

I grew up in Minneapolis. Our heater went out jus about every winter, but we had a wood burning fire place. Mom's car was a Jeep that was 4x4...but needed a couple hundred pounds of sand in the back to keep it on the road. Every car had candles and blankets and ice picks and at least 12-hours worth of road flares and stuff....like everyone else's. Here...no one has any of that.

It really is a different world down here. I wonder if getting snow this early (it's usually in February or March) means we'll actually have a real winter. That could be interesting....

mctacticool likes this.