what pistol do you carry for personal defense

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by hawk652, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

My next gun buy is going to be a g35 mos. Got to run one with an RMR a couple weeks ago and fell in love. I want a long barrel .40 MOS

mctacticool and sk33tr like this.
  2. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

MC Operator, that's the very one I got rid of. Awesome piece, you'll like it

3. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i hope so. i've been watching some youtube vids on it and i'm starting to get all giddy with anticipation.

it's funny because i wasn't even looking at that model (didn't even know about it, to be honest). i was looking at another springfield 1911, and i noticed this one sitting beside it. i asked the guy about it and he told me everything about it. and it really puzzled me because it was actually cheaper than the one i was originally looking at, but had more options. they obviously felt the same in-hand, but i opted for the loaded model because i could save some money both on the up front price as well as not having to spend money later having night sights put on it. win-win in my book.

and if everything goes as planned, i'll have it in my possession by next friday and be at the range with it on saturday.

nolaradio, mctacticool and dmak like this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I don't really like 40, but I can't blame you there. Not one bit.

I know a decent number of people who think optics on a longslide are pointless outside of competition, but I also can't figure out why something good for practical competition (like the somewhat popular 6" 2011 open guns) is bad for SD (you know, except that finicky open guns are not ideal for SD).

My opinion on optics, in general, has shifted a little bit over the last 18 months or so, though. I still think there are serious benefits for stressful situations, but if you can keep your head, really learn your sights, and use appropriate sights (e.g., not the super-wide rear notches a lot of target shooters prefer), the difference is relatively small and probably not worth the monetary investment for most people.

I am, however, wondering about MOS vs. Atom slide. I do slightly prefer the BUIS in front of the optic, and despite it being so much bigger, I like the T1/H1 over the RMR. Maybe I can trade my 17 Atom slide for a 34 somewhere.

mctacticool likes this.
  5. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

and of course nothing went as planned. the irs decided they wanna wait before i get my return. so i'm thinking either next week or the week after before i'll be able to go pick it up. hell, maybe even the week after that.

does anything move as slow as the U.S. government?

nolaradio and mctacticool like this.
  6. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Yes... Its known as The European Union...

nolaradio, moostapha and sk33tr like this.
  7. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

I was actually surprised with the IRS this year. I filed my taxes on Jan 23 and my federal return hit my account on the 29(the day they started accepting returns) and my state return hit my account on Feb 5. Fastest I've ever received my return

8. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

I know you like 40 about as much as I like 9. Apples and apples I figure. If I didn't have 10,000+ rounds stocked of 40 I would consider a switch, but I'm pretty married to the caliber at this point. Also, I kind of like the snappiness of 40, its also pretty easy to suppress, no need to hunt for subsonic as 180 gr stuff stays just south of supersonic through the can.

BTW - just got my form 1 suppressor stamp back, only took 15 months. Still waiting on my form 1 sbr stamp and my form 4 stamp for my Silencerco

I'm debating between a longslide 40 or 10mm. 10mm would give me a hunting option and I suppose I could do a 40 conversion for cheaper plinking. Still not totally sold on pistol optics. I love shooting irons

nolaradio, mctacticool and moostapha like this.
  9. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

the reason for the delay on mine is this:

"According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February for tax returns that claim the Earned Income Tax Credit."

also:

"While the IRS will process your return when it is received, it cannot issue related refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards starting on Feb 27, 2018"

which is a bit weird since i didn't CHOOSE to do EIC. they just automatically did it for me. they didn't give me a choice, it was just an automatic thing. i guess it's due to the amount of money i make (or lack, thereof). i hate crape like that.

how about just letting me file the regular, 1040 form with no add-ons, no additions, no addendum, no nothing extra. just a plain ol' 1040. i'd have gotten my return by now and already have my new pistol with rounds through it.

but no. i gotta wait at least another 2 weeks.

stupid government.....

10. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

EITC puts more money in your pocket on your return, that's a plus. We made just enough to not qualify, but I did have a kid do I got a little extra back than normal

I was shocked that the money was in my account @ 6am on Jan 29. Sadly, most of it has been used on bills.

11. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

ok, i can agree on that point. but why does it take so long for me to get my piddly return back vs others? my mom got a return of over $1300. she got hers in less than 2 weeks. i'm not even getting $400 back; so what's taking so long? just because they choose to put me on eic they can take longer? that sux.

mctacticool likes this.
  12. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Fair enough, and pretty cool.

Though 15 months....wooh. I think my Silencer was around 10 months. My SBR was around the same (both on trusts, pre-41f, one was a form 1 the other a form 4). I've been hearing that forms submitted as individuals take less time. But, I worked at the FFL-SOT that was holding my silencer, so I got to play with it whenever I wanted from day 1.

But, at this point, I'm wondering if an FFL-SOT is a better way to go for future stuff...theoretically you'd be paying the licensing forever, but you could also file the forms to transfer them to yourself or your trust, get them on a simple dealer transfer (90 days IIRC), and then not really care when the stamps come back.

mctacticool likes this.
  13. kye4some

kye4some
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

[​IMG]M&P Shield 9mm. I’ve been looking at the Shield 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

15. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

just before the first rounds go through it...
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for the "blueness" in this image. taking an image in the shade when it's sunny isn't the best for good pics, lol)

just after being cleaned....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nolaradio, Sharaz_Jek and mctacticool like this.
  16. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

17. charlie fox

charlie fox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

18. B-knuckle

B-knuckle
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

[​IMG]Glock 20 4th gen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mctacticool, sk33tr and dmak like this.
  19. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Morning Planeteers! Had to upload a pic of the new carry, CZ P10c in 9mm. LOVE this piece! I stippled her up, put combat cuts on the bottom of the mag well, and under cut the trigger guard a bit. Her name is Cardi, in accordance with me and my brother naming all our guns after female rappers.

#279 Troll Medic, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    mctacticool and dmak like this.
  20. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Why am I not able to upload a pic of Cardi?

mctacticool likes this.