Whats you home defense weapon for those things that go bump in the night?

Discussion in 'Home EDC' started by dfoland, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Longbow_06

Longbow_06
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Semi only lol :)
    Wasn't going to cough up the 23 grand for a registered sear :D
    But it still does the job in semi ;)

2. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Springfield XD9
    [​IMG]

charliefox, ManVsLawn, A4VC and 4 others like this.
  3. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

Every time I see that MP5 I think of the HK selector switch morale patch from Violent Little Machine Shop.

Most often the easiest one for me to grab is my Glock 17 that is my EDC. There is always the fun mag for home defense.

[​IMG]

Mcrb, charliefox, sswift and 6 others like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Ithaca 37 Police Special w/Choate Folder and Alternate ronde of Bird and Buck Shot.
    Bandolier sling full in case I need to bail.
    IMI Baby Eagle in 9mm usually in nightstand.
    Malkoff MD2

I pity the fool.

The Bottom one is the 9mm top is 45

Can't find a handy pic of the Thumper.
    [​IMG]

#84 EZDog, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    ManVsLawn and Longbow_06 like this.
  5. Grumpy521

Grumpy521
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

My home was built in 1895, before AC so it's open from West to East with all of the bedrooms on the South side of the structure and all of common space running along the North half. All interior doors have window valances with a ledge and all have a pistol, mag and flashlight resting on them.
    The pistols are there to help me fight my way to one of my rifles.

Attached Files:

6. znapschatz

znapschatz
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

Burglars burgle, they are not looking for a fight. If they were, they would come calling earlier instead of sneaking around. Try to come up with a plan that does not require firing your gun. A simple shout that you are armed should be sufficient, and the benefits of not shooting are; (1) you won't wreck your eardrums by shooting in an enclosed space, (2) you avoid potentially expensive repairs to your ceiling and roof, and (3) you won't have to clean the gun. I believe guns are best used defensively when not fired. If it comes to that, things have gone much too wrong and outcomes can't be predicted.

7. JPHing

JPHing
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

For me, my baseball bat.

I don't own a firearm but even if I did, the law my side is a pain in the back side when it comes to using one (imo)

charliefox, Water-Rat and Longbow_06 like this.
  8. theirishboxer

theirishboxer
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

don't own any firearms my self, keep a 10 inch machete on the bed side table. thankfully i have never had to test it in actual combat.

Mcrb and Longbow_06 like this.
  9. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

3D maglite...

Mcrb, charliefox, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  10. totemeca

totemeca
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

this is mine, don't think the bad boys will make it beyond this:

[​IMG]

charliefox, Troy, Puinsai and 3 others like this.
  11. znapschatz

znapschatz
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

4D Maglight, plus a 2D. I like to see what I am hitting :) . Dogs are great, but I am temporarily between them at present.

Longbow_06 likes this.
  12. Grumpy521

Grumpy521
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Last time I posted in this thread I was still having trouble loading some of my pics so here's one of my bioalarm.[​IMG]

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

13. Grumpy521

Grumpy521
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

That's a 4' fence by the way.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

14. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

He's a good bit bigger than mine.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me, using a system of tubes rather than a highway full of dumptrucks

ManVsLawn and Grumpy521 like this.
  15. Revs

Revs
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Journeyman

First defense is the 80 pound Rott/Pit mix. When she is done licking them to death, then its the cut down Remington 870. Had a regular barrel cut down to 19" since I don't hunt with it anymore. If that doesn't work, I have a pair of CS tomahawks close by. And a double bit ax by the fireplace.

charliefox, MTFatboy and Grumpy521 like this.
  16. Old Army Guy

Old Army Guy
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I keep my Beretta 92FS with Crimson Trace laser grips and a Fenix PD35 in the nightstand. If I feel I have time, I keep a Tresna JAG 9 PCC in the closet with several Glock 33 magazines.

mctacticool likes this.
  17. colab

colab
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

There are a number of tools effective for repelling boarders. Firearms can be effective, but they are not the solution to every problem. If one only has a hammer, one risks thinking every problem is a nail.

An shortened anti-boarding pike is very effective at controlling doorways. Legend has it that one man with a spear once kept ten men with swords inside a house, and I've seen HEMA students try this to good effect. Bayonets have been used long since fully automatic firearms have been in battle. Still, there are places inside where the length of a pole-arm restricts its use. A cutlass is proven an effective CQB tool, and is more effective at cutting and thrusting than the garden and jungle tools that are only good for chopping. Boarding axes are good choppers, but for speed and dexterity, so long as the targets are softer, the tomahawk is more handy.

Bear in mind there have been times in history when pole-arms (if only a spear or quarterstaff), cutlass (or rapiers), and tomahawks were EDC items. They were useful or effective enough that some people carried one or another constantly. But we would be foolish to assume the problem that will present itself will conform to the use of our tool.

The most versatile tool we have is our brain, but our brain needs to be awake, which is why it's important to have a sentry. I prefer my sentry to have his own brain and weapon rather than depend on an electronic one, but we shouldn't expect the sentry to take care of the problem for us. We mostly expect a better chance of warning when they stand the watch. Sentries are not made obsolete by black guns.

I will add one more suggestion which might either be thought provoking or quickly dismissed. When we think of tools for self-defense, we typically consider a variety of offensive weapons -- bat, knife, gun. But what man expecting to go into battle doesn't prepare his armor? If we do consider armor, we probably think of a vest with a chest plate, but the helmet is the single most effective piece or armor, and it protects our single most important tool. Someone might say they won't have time to put armor on, but how long does it take to slap a helmet on? Even if the threat is upon you immediately, you can grab a vest to use for cover, or if you don't imagine ever having time to pull a vest on, you can consider mounting a chest plate on a Lexan shield. We think we would rather have a 12 ga than a cutlass because what if the intruder has a pistol or a shotgun themselves? But who would step into their hallway to trade fire with an intruder? One would rather take cover.

Avoidance and deterrence should be an even greater priority than the tools we have to deal with the unavoidable and undeterred. We wouldn't assume ourselves safe in any situation because we're packing a Dirty Harry Model 29. Indeed adding the 29 to a high risk situation likely increases the volatility and the chance of a tragic result. We should rather take measures to avoid risks on the street and at home, even if it means moving our home. We can likewise deter risks with visible and tangible countermeasures even if they're as simple as lighting, surveillance, and strong barriers.

#97 colab, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    charliefox and transit98 like this.
  18. Old Army Guy

Old Army Guy
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

There are certainly many home protection alternatives available to most people, but I have chosen to minimize what would be viewed as visible home security. In the area I live we have a high percentage of elderly folks living in their own detached homes and most are pretty laid back when it comes to their own home security. Needlessly most of them can be classified as "targets" by the ever increasing folks that wish to do harm. I personally feel more than qualified to deal with any level of personal threat and because of this i keep my home looking fairly inviting to any bad guys, hoping that I am their choice and not one of my neighbors. Certainly I would prefer peace and quiet but i won't fail to act if something were to occur.

mctacticool likes this.
  19. Frankenstein

Frankenstein
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Scholar

20. Troy

Troy
    Expand Collapse

I've got a thing or two... not ready to post what I have in the safe on the internet. Rumor is a few AR pistols, maybe a .50 cal rifle... maybe a .338 Lapua with some expensive night vision... who really knows
    [​IMG]