Why do you carry the piece you carry?

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by dmak, Sep 9, 2017.

1. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Wanted to start a new philosophy thread.

I've carried a firearm with me pretty much since the day I turned 21. That's 14 years of having a somewhat uncomfortable 1.5-3 lb piece of steel strapped to my waist. I have been through quite a variety of carry pieces over the years. Some were in an attempt to up size or down size. Some were because it was the hot shit new pistol that everyone was raving about and I had to get on the bandwagon. I have had good experience with some and bad with others. Thankfully, I have landed on a system that works well for me. I have learned to look past the glitter and glam and settle on something that will work as flawlessly as possible.

Recently, I took a step back from my current ideology of carrying and really did some deep thinking on it. Carrying a firearm is a great responsibility that requires a higher level of discernment and patience. The aftermath of a shooting/defensive encounter is very painstaking and expensive. If I can avoid that aftermath I will at all costs. With that understanding, i see heinous acts of violence occur in my community on a daily basis. Terror attacks are becoming more frequently. Hell, just last year a kid brought a shotgun to the school my wife worked at and was able to get a shot off. That was a bit too close to home.

Self protection is very important to me and as such, I want to have as many cards stacked in my favor as I can. That requires force multipliers. I carry 2 guns, a support mag, a fixed blade knife, a folding knife, a defensive flashlight and my wits; those are my force multipliers. If I have to step into a fight, I am coming like a freight train at full steam. I will end the fight if I don't meet my end first. I also carry a pocket sized trauma kit in the event that I have to manage a gunshot wound/stabbing. 5o some it sounds like paranoia, to others it sounds like sound preparation.

The gun - for a long time I was hooked on the single stack micro compact phase. They are small, easily concealed and easy enough to shoot. It made carrying a gun easy. But, it only held 6+1. Seemed like enough, I carry a spare mag. Then I was a victim of a home invasion

4 assailants enter the house while 6 or 7 of us are playing cards. At least 2 were armed. So was I, with an lcp. I was absolutely out gunned, we all feigned compliance. We were blessed that no one was injured severely (couple of us got roughed up by the jackels) and they left quickly when they realized they were robbing the wrong house, we didn't have much in the house at the time. They were looking for drugs. That's what we get for moving into a questionable side of town.

That next day I ditched the lcp and strapped on my Glock 23. I moved to doublestack guns because I see the need for more force multpliers.

A few couple years go by and I again find myself wearing a single stack for comforts sake. That's when I took the step back and began reassessing my philosophy of carry.

Why am I choosing comfort over comfort? I then realized that self protection is not comfortable so I need to be content with being a bit uncomfortable. Adversity is hiding around every corner ready to pounce, so I too should be ready to respond accordingly to that adversity.

Currently I am carrying a Glock 23 and a Glock 27 and I train/practice regularly. I carry Glocks because they have never failed me where most others have to some degree. I want to be able to punch as many big holes as I can as quickly as possible with the utmost reliability. It's not the most comfortable, but it's comforting. I only carry one support mag.

I now see the need for something bigger than a single stack pistol and as such I have gotten rid of all my single stacks and replaced them with double stacks. (exception for The Mrs, she carries my Kahr pm9 now, she finally decided that carrying is more than important and likes the little gun. I'm just happy she decided to start carrying)

So, what do you carry and why? How did you decide to carry

Lou_G, Kerberos, locked-out and 4 others like this.
  2. sk33tr

sk33tr
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

i only have 1 handgun, a glock 19. i bought it because the place i bought it had it on special and it came with a third mag. so i figured, why not? i like that it's not all that big (bit smaller than a full-size), but is still a double stack. but to go along with that, it is only a 9mm so having those extra rounds might be a necessity if i ever have to use it in a defensive situation.

i like the 19 and think it's a pretty dang good pistol. i've made a couple modifications to it, but nothing drastic. i put on some talon grips on it (really helps with keeping it seated in my hand when it's hot and i'm sweaty), a streamlight tlr-1 hl light, a stainless steel guide rod assembly, a set of tfo sights, and i polished the trigger mechanism and the feed ramp. the trigger is a bit smoother than it was and doesn't have that gritty feel to it that it had when i first bought it.

i bought a holster for it and the other 2 mags and carry it on a daily basis. i don't always carry both extra mags with me as i usually take one of them and throw it in an extra pocket or something. if i wear pants, they all have a small, vertical pocket that's perfect for an extra mag so i put it in there. if i'm wearing shorts, i make sure to put it in a pocket with nothing else in that pocket. i don't want to have to fumble around trying to grab the magazine and nothing else if i ever have to use the firearm. but if i'm going to a place i've never been or somewhere i know isn't the best or safest place to be, then i'll put on the magazine holster and carry both extra mags.

lately i've been thinking of getting a 1911 in .45 and carrying it. it's obviously a single stack so it would be easier to conceal than a double stack, but with the extra power of the .45, i think there's a trade-off. plus i like how they shoot. and my cousin's son-in-law is a gunsmith so any work that needs to be done all i have to do is take it to him and he can do it for me. my cousin carries a 1911 and the trigger on that gun is amazing. he's a former police officer (retired) and has a few styles of handguns, but the 1911 is his favorite.

i used to have a smith & wesson .38 special revolver (wish i still had it). i had to sell it to help pay some bills, though. but i do plan on getting another revolver...hopefully a .357 magnum or .44 magnum.

and as far as training...i wish i could do a lot more. but with the way work is right now i don't have any extra money to do much of anything. i certainly have the time, but having the money to buy the ammo is the big concern. i currently have about 100 rounds of target ammo so i do have a bit. but that 100 can go pretty quick. i usually use anywhere from 100-150 rounds every time i go train. my cousin, the former police officer, does my training so i get that for free. he's a certified trainer in both handgun and rifle and is certified at both a state and federal level for training. so i have a great "in" in that regard. all it costs me is ammo. but as i said, with work being so slow right now, i don't get as much as i'd like since i can't afford any extra ammo for the time being.

thankfully i've never had to deal with a home invasion, but i sleep better knowing that if that ever happens, i'm better prepared to deal with it. and for the record, i have more than the pistol for that purpose.

#2 sk33tr, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

I carried a 1911 for a while. My only gripe was weight. It weighed twice that of my Glock. It did conceal well and shot beautifully. Traded it just recently to pay bills. That's how I got my g27.

Training is tough. A few years ago I was making a lot more money than I do now. It was also during the gun scare of 2012. I thought it would be a good idea to stack up 10k-20k rounds of each caliber so that I could train during shortages. That's lasted me a while. I fear the day that we'll dries up. I don't see myself affording 10k rounds anytime soon.

Lou_G, locked-out and madlag like this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I haven't had the negative experiences that @dmak has had, but my thought process was similar.

I started carrying a p938 a few years ago. I was shooting a full size 1911 in competition, and it made sense to keep the same manual of arms. After I bent the hell out of the seer spring to bring the trigger pull down from 9#, I was vaguely okay with it. But, I never shot it as well as the full size gun. And it was weird for me to carry enough extra mags to feel comfortable.

On a range trip with a friend, I kept shooting his bigger guns (and my 1911) so much better than the little ones, I joked about carrying a full size gun. He said I wouldn't.

So, I took it as a personal challenge. Everyone shoots bigger guns better (within reason), and the weight I'm carrying is nowhere near enough to impede movement. And I still carry almost every waking moment....I'm one of those 99%+ people.

I carried a few double stack compact or full size guns over the next couple years, switched to AIWB to be able to get away with it, and find it remarkably comfortable.

So, now I carry a Glock 17 gen4 with a handful of mods (stippling, grip force adapter, edge connector, ghost trigger spring, ghost fp block spring, tyr trigger, magpul magwell, super slim fiber/black sights) and an x300-ultra.

Strangely, I carry it in a Glock 34 holster. I'm waiting on the last couple parts for my atom slide, and then I'll either be carrying it as a race gun (with an aimpoint micro and an s3f comp) or carrying a 34, possibly an MOS with a Shield RMS.

Because long 9s are awesome.

I also carry two magpul 21-round mags and a relatively full trauma kit.

It's a lot of stuff, but somehow it never really bothers me. It's been a weird experience that leads me to kind of laugh at other people having issues with concealment or comfort. It's 100% down to the position and the holster. All that stuff conceals better with my current rig than my p938 ever did in the handful of holsters I tried behind the hip.

Lou_G, Kerberos, locked-out and 2 others like this.
  5. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Question. With a home invasion of 4 people, two of whom were armed, would having had more rounds made any difference given that the likely answer to drawing your gun would have been the start of injury and fatalities to your own group and self? From your story it sounds like any reaction from yourself, with whatever solution short of an automatic weapon and a lot of luck, would not have changed the fact that compliance would still have been the only safe option.

6. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

A few years back I consolidated my carry guns down to three, each having a specific role; my Glock 19 is my "big" gun - I carry this when I know I'll be in a bad area for an extended period of time. My Kahr CM9 is my primary carry gun. My Ruger LCP is my deep cover or back up gun. I can comfortably carry all three if need be. I always carry a second magazine not necessarily for reloading but for malfunction clearing. I always carry a 3-4" folder for cutting chores, but also as a last ditch back up tool.

Lou_G, locked-out, madlag and 2 others like this.
  7. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

This scenario plays out in my head everyday of my life. There were a few moments that I felt I could have been able to launch an effective counter ambush, and with my shooting abilities, it would have only taken about 2-3 seconds for me to put multiple rounds on multiple targets but 6 of my close friends were with me in the same room. I assume there would have been more casualties on both sides had I launched. Who knows? This is one of those struggles that haunts me daily, because I felt totally violated and borderline helpless in the situation. I don't want to ever feel those feelings..

Even if I had both of my full size pistols on, I don't know if it would have gone "in our favor" as I envision it in my head. So many variables to compute

8. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I was just wondering about that being a factor in you changing your carry due to what you've said. On the other hand, it might well have been 'do or die anyway' situation which is what I assume is what you have going around your head? You moved house since then mate?

mctacticool, locked-out and madlag like this.
  9. madlag

madlag
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

You know I went through this about a year or so ago as some of you know. I'd always carried single stack, 1911, usually compact. Sometimes other smaller "pocket" pistols as well. And I've always been a big believer in the .45acp. It's bigger, slower and doesn't have wasted energy; won't over penetrate a human target. So I did, and still do stand by it as the #1 1:1 man-stopper for self defense purpose.

However, there's a trade off: recoil and size. Because of all these riots, angry liberals and just scum of the earth being allowed to exist in lawlessness, the sovereign citizen self defense landscape is changing. You no longer have to worry about the the 1:1 or at worst 1:1-4 "lone" mugging, you had to worry about group violence and pack mentality in potentially large numbers. -people so caught up in the moment they'd do anything without thinking. For this type of scenario it comes down to logistics. I needed more rounds and more control. On top of that, I'd need to change my defensive handgun training to accommodate this sort of threat

The answer was pretty straightforward. Larger size handgun (Legion P229, P226) and smaller, more controlled round (9mm). I carry the P229 95% of the time on person and a duplicate of it 100% of the time in my bag. It's larger brother the P226 rides in my battle rig.

If I'm just around the house or here in my little town I might carry a 1911. But that's becoming more rare.

10. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

That was 6 addresses ago, I got the f out of the place the very next day. The invasion made breaking my lease easy.

That night and and 3 others have changed my life forever and convinced me that I always have to be ready to protect myself. 2 situations were muggings that I was able to thwart off with the brandishing of my firearm. The other was an actually hands on defensive encounter.

Some of you may remember reading about my self defense altercation when the wife and I were attacked years ago. I'll find a link here soon enough for you to read about. Long story short, the wife and I are walking through a park late at night and we get attacked by a man on a bike with a bat in hand. Tried to kill me and rape/possibly kill her. In that situation, the only two reasons the assailant didn't get shot were because I didn't want to accidentally shoot my wife as her and the assailant were fighting on the ground and because I was able to quickly dominate, subdue and contain the assailant with a flashlight and my 5 broken fingers ( they weren't broken before I started swinging). The wife pulled me off the assailant right before I killed him with my hands. I have never felt as primal as I did that night, it was as if time froze while everything flashed and happened at an instinctive moments notice. I have never felt that level of fear/rage/aggression/hate in my life and pray I never have to again. I could have figuratively (and almost literally) ripped that man's head off without a second thought. Blessed above all, the odds swung in our favor that night and we have been able to recover and move forward after years of court appearances and trauma recovery.

Side note, the civil court system has become an abomination of this great country and will eventually be the death of it.

11. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Horrific story. Especially that you had to go through the whole court thing. My dad has an apartment in NJ that he rents out. A guy was mugged in the neighbourhood and is now suing all the residents for not having provided a private security service to patrol the area. It's gone beyond silly.

12. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

For real ?? Thats just beyond stupid...

Longbow_06 and dmak like this.
  13. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Doesn't at all surprise me. I got sued for beating up a guy that attacked and sexually assaulted myself and my wife. That only took us an extra two years and about $15k of litigation to sort out.

madlag and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  14. mctacticool

mctacticool
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

I remember reading about that... Not even here would that be possible... At the very most one would have to claim use of excessive under the self-defence law that gives the right to overreact as long as its caused by the nature of the attack and the immidiate shock and adrenalinkick that follows...

15. Ben Rubinstein

Ben Rubinstein
    Expand Collapse
    Apocalypse Ready

Could you counter sue to recover your costs at least never mind damages?

dmak likes this.
  16. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

We did and we won. Realistically we won't see much if any come back though. He is a career criminal and got sentenced to 20 years without the possibility of parole. He doesn't make enough on prison salary to pay us back over his sentence.

While it was hard to pay that money, it was worth it. The criminal case went well enough, it was the civil side that racked up the bills. Continuances, delays, and appeals drug the case out much longer than necessary. We had moved to a different state, so we had to travel a couple times as well for court.

That is all behind us now. Even if I could recover all my money, it would mean I would have to feed energy into and we've worked hard to move forward and forget about it

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  17. madlag

madlag
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

It was 15k well spent knowing you raped his face with your knuckles. Its a shame our legal system allowed such to even be heard.

mctacticool likes this.
  18. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member Global Mod

Absolutely. Looking back on it, I am honestly surprised that the assailant didn't die from the justice I dished out. I did a lot of damage to his face/throat. When EMS showed up, they thought he was dead. He came after me for excessive force and unlawfully restraint, due to the extent of his injuries and excessive recovery cost, and the fact that I hog tied him.? The Civil judge was rough on me at first when the pictures of the assailant were shown, that happened the first day. Once the suit got rolling it seemed that the judge woke up and realized this was a justified self defense situation once he saw our evidence. It took him a little too long to realize that in my opinion. The judge was pretty shocked by the damage that was done. Fortunately, I had a few really good witnesses/attorneys that helped convince the judge that the assailant was lucky he didn't get shot in the head and killed. A big part of my defense was that I showed restraint by not shooting him when he was down. It was a weird civil suit.

19. backwater-otter

backwater-otter
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Thank you @dmak for a great thread. It is posts like these that teach me so much.

I've read the story before @dmak but it hits hard every time.

mctacticool and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  20. Kerberos

Kerberos
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Fidelis

Glock 19 99% of the time, LCP 1%.

Every time I think of switching to something smaller, I'll stumble across a news story or thread like this and decide not to change at all...

Except maybe to start carrying both!

mctacticool likes this.