Why do you carry the piece you carry?

Discussion in 'Firearms & CCW' started by dmak, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Lou_G

Lou_G
    Expand Collapse
    Fratris mei custos sum.
    Staff Member Global Mod

I started carrying pistols when I was 19 back in 1993. Glocks, Sigs, HKs, Colts and even some cheap throwaway crap. Most of the time I carried two Glock 17s. Luckily that was my carry the few times I needed them and that cemented them pretty well for me. Back in 2001 I decided to try .40 S&W and grabbed a Steyr M40. I carried that exclusively for a number of years until I went back to a Glock 17. I also have a Kahr CW380 for discreet carry where I can't afford to have someone notice the Glock on my hip. Maybe one day I will be able to carry appendix and do better, but there is no room for that 17 in the front once I sit down. I'm honestly thinking of going back to carrying two Glock 17s with me in the future, maybe I can even pull off some 34s like @moostapha. I think 17Ls are a pipe dream, but would be fun.

2. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Grand Master

Summer carry, Russian Makarov IWB. Winter carry Springfield XD9 OWB under a fleece vest. When I'm hiking Romanian TTC Tokarev.

I guess I just have a love for Russian and Eastern European weapons. They're crude, functional and soldier proof. The XD9 was originally a Croatian design and mine was machined there.

Ben Rubinstein and mctacticool like this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I still haven't switched to a 34. I spent that money on the semi-race gun carry experiment (Atom slide, H1, comp'd barrel that's still incoming because they sent the wrong one).

Speaking of which, it works decently well. The aimpoint itself prints a little more than I would like when I wear the gun where I like it best. But I can make it disappear well enough for the vast majority of days. I ordered a wedge from JMCK to see if that will help a little bit. But if I don't figure it out, I'll probably switch to a 34 around the end of the year. Either that or get my beaten-up RMR replaced, since it's just enough smaller to disappear fine.

Deeper carry lately has been a Glock 19 in a smart carry. And if it gets much colder and I actually have to start bundling up, my Colt Cobra is going to live in coat pockets for a few months.

As for why...I still haven't had a problem with a glock, even with all the things I do to them. I'd prefer they were American-made, but not enough to pay several times more for M&P mags.

Lou_G and mctacticool like this.
  4. charliefox

charliefox
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

5. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

Just like most of you bruddas, I have switched out my carry choice a few times for comfort, firepower, or just plain old "it's the new hotness". Starting with my original carry which was an XDM in 9mm to my Springfield LW Operator for that extra slim profile and extra 45 punch. Now, after trying numerous carry pistols, I've settled on my P-10c. Starting to find that although I love the happy knockdown on the 45, and the slim profile of the 1911, bad guys have friends. So having a great grab and push gun (no adjustment necessary, just pull it out of the holster and push toward the target) is primary in my mind. Extra mag, and I'm set. With all the active shooter(s) scenarios, I'd rather have more rounds to put on target. Here lately, my carry gear consist of the CZ P-10 with extra mag and TRL1s, Spyderco fixed blade, CRKT folder, SOG multi tool, and my aide bag in the truck if I have a MASSCAL situation. Hope this helps fam!

dmak and sk33tr like this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

I tried a 34 for a while.

I'm back to the atom slide with an RMR. The 34 slide and H1 were borrowed, and their owners wanted them back.

I'm going to get the new Aimpoint P1 whenever it and an atom plate are available, unless the price point is higher than the T2.

I'm not convinced that the 34 is actually better. The 17 seems like the right compromise in size. Though the new polymer80 19-sized frames that take full sized slides are REALLY intriguing. I'm just waiting until they hit stores.

The como I bought ended up not working. That company had a lot of QC problems, and I never managed to install it. I mailed it back with a handwritten note about it, and they refunded me. So, that's good.

If I decided to go that way again, I'd probably just wait until Agency makes a NOC that integrates either a P1 or a T2. But, I don't care.

Also, just as a side note....the USAMU action pistol guy that won Bianchi cup this year has one of the most awesome looking race guns I've ever seen. If I won the lottery, a comp'd 17 with a surefire and a frame mounted comp m5 would basocally be my dream gun.

Fwiw, still zero issues with my TDG SCDs and SSVi/Ghost trigger mods or my home stippling. I don't shoot as much as I did for a while, but I've shot enough to completely wear out 2 RMRs.

I'm getting to the point that I don't even look at press releases anymore. Nothing interesting is happening in the pistol world except those few things.

If we change our archaic and unconstitutional SBR laws, I'll have to get a B&T USW, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

dmak likes this.
  7. Troll Medic

Troll Medic
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Master

This is Cardi . . .[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dmak likes this.
  8. dmak

dmak
    Expand Collapse
    into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
    Staff Member Global Mod

Been carrying a doublestack Glock daily now for over a year. Wouldn't do it any other way. I like the idea of having 10 or more rounds on board. Im a 40 guy so it's typically my 27, the 23 is on home defense duty. The 27 hides very easily so it is my daily driver. Stipple job was totally worth it. I really like the texture and I get such a better grip on the gun now. Will probably do the Gen 4 g23 soon cause I prefer the stipple to the raised RTF of Glock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Troll Medic and sk33tr like this.
  9. Gpwelding1

Gpwelding1
    Expand Collapse
    EDC Apprentice

I carry a Taurus Tracker .357 with 4 Inch barrel. I carry it for the stopping power the .357 offers. It is a 7 round stainless steel revolver with ported barrel. And its fairly easy to conceal with the triple k holster I have. Or in my blue stone concealment vest.
    IMG_0298.jpg
    For backup, I carry a Taurus model 85 .38 special.
    Its a 5 round 2 inch barrel with cerakote finish. .38 spl or .38 spl +p
    storageemulated0Androiddatacom.google.android.gmca.jpg

#29 Gpwelding1, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    sk33tr and dmak like this.