2019 EDC Picture Thread

tayman52

EDC Apprentice
It is freakin awesome.....it stops my keys from making noise when I move. And it keeps things nice and tidy. If you get one, making sure to get an extension kit. Stock it only hold 4 keys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a great looking flipper @cityofthesouth. How do you like the knife so far?
Well, I've been resisting getting one since I saw them in some various Shot Show videos on youtube. It's just that not too long ago you could get a $40 USA made Kershaw with Sandvik steel, and while I like 420HC just fine, I've kinda found its limits in various tasks like deer processing and carving hard woods. There are some things I don't like, but the deal for me is, I love the design. I love the aluminum handles (because I'd like to see more colors in the future), and I really love this blade shape. I just personally think it's really well designed in appearance. I get worked up over lanyard holes that affect pocket clip placement and I think the solution here was to let the lanyard hole run off the handle, which resulted in a unique looking knife, but also let the pocket clip attach moooostly where it should have. I probably would have rotated it slightly and moved it up just another hair. But it's well done when compared to a lot of others - and I am indifferent when it comes to "deep carry". I'm also indifferent about the Speed Safe. I don't dislike it, but I don't find that assisted opening adds anything to a knife. I don't really dig the black wash finish. Mine weighs 4.7oz, but I also don't get too hung up on weight. If it were a thicker knife, or a bit longer, I would consider it "large" but it's thin enough and of a somewhat compact design enough, that it carries the way I like a knife of this size to carry. I know some of the weight obsessed might complain. If Kershaw cares or is listening, this knife IMO is spectacular when it comes to looks. So, give us a Sandvik version (or something), some anodized scales and you'll be having a hard time counting all that money. Make a couple minor tweaks to the pocket clip and you'll be getting very close to a perfect knife. It's a toss up on the Speed Safe. I don't care either way, but this thing would make a killer non assisted flipper. I may remove the Speed Safe one day, put in a detent and see how it goes. I dunno. There is a detent ball, I guess to make the blade glide on the liner lock? Anyway, how's that for a reply!? I'm gonna carry it a couple more weeks before I write a real review, but I really like it.

kershaw_link_hand2
by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

kershaw_link_L10C
by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
Nice reply. This knife is similar to the Kershaw Cryo series IMO. The Ti scales are probably much lighter and thinner than those found on the Cryo 2, which is a good thing. I do enjoy using spring-assisted knives since they're easy to open quickly with one hand. And the Speed Safe flipper design from Kershaw is one of my favorites.

Nice reply. This knife is similar to the Kershaw Cryo series IMO. The Ti scales are probably much lighter and thinner than those found on the Cryo 2, which is a good thing. I do enjoy using spring-assisted knives since they're easy to open quickly with one hand. And the Speed Safe flipper design from Kershaw is one of my favorites.
Yeah according to Kershaw the Cryo 2 is 5.5oz so there is a pretty nice weight difference. The liners in the Link are not skeletonized so there is room for a little more weight loss there as well. I had a Cryo 1 and I don't remember exactly - with the scales and liners I suppose the Link is similar in thickness to the Cryo. The Cryo 2 is probably a better comparison, but I haven't handled one and it's possible they used the same thickness material for the 2 as they did the 1. Not sure.

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
Yeah according to Kershaw the Cryo 2 is 5.5oz so there is a pretty nice weight difference. The liners in the Link are not skeletonized so there is room for a little more weight loss there as well. I had a Cryo 1 and I don't remember exactly - with the scales and liners I suppose the Link is similar in thickness to the Cryo. The Cryo 2 is probably a better comparison, but I haven't handled one and it's possible they used the same thickness material for the 2 as they did the 1. Not sure.
The Link is a great knife for the money.

BTW your photography is top notch. What type of camera do you use?

The Link is a great knife for the money.

BTW your photography is top notch. What type of camera do you use?
Just after Christmas I got a Sony NEX5T so most of my stuff since that time has been with that camera. There is also a little photoshop involved, although moving up to the NEX has meant very little post work for me unless I want to do some effect or whatever. But for clean shots it's been great. It's a camera that Sony doesn't make anymore but the way I understood it, the NEX cameras were so well loved that if you can find one, they are a great deal and maybe even a little better constructed than the cameras Sony replaced them with. So I bought one gently used. The major benefits are the APSC sensor and removable lens, but in a compact body.