Can someone explain this to me?

Kaibab270

EDC Apprentice
I didn't see a general discussion section, if there is one I apologize. This was the best guess for a place to ask this.

Now I am not picking at anyone, this is a genuine question. What is the point/purpose of some of the items you guys are carrying? Particularly coins, patches, prybars and handkerchiefs. Do you actually blow your nose into them? I can see a prybar maybe being used once in a blue moon but I'd probably be more inclined to use it as a defensive weapon.

Again, actual interest not poking fun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sk33tr

EDC Master
i think for a lot of us, it's more about "what if..." than "what is".

what if i have to sneeze/blow my nose and i'm somewhere that doesn't have napkins?
what if i have to wipe something off my face/hands and i don't have a paper towel/napkin
what if someone else needs to do any of those?
what if i need to pry something open that has become stuck?
what if i need to open a can of paint/stain or something with a similar lid and i don't happen to have an actual paint can opener or even a decent flat-blade screwdriver (although with most multitools nowadays, you have at least a decent flat-blade screwdriver)?

as far as patches and coins....those are of a more personal nature.

i have several patches on my edc bag (10, to be exact; some standard-sized, some odd-shaped, some small) and each cap i wear has 3 patches on it (1 on the front; 1 on the top, where the button would normally be; and 1 on the back just above the sizing strap). each patch on my bag was chosen for a specific reason. some are funny, some are more serious. the patches on my hats are all the same across all 3 hats. all 3 of my hats are the same style and pattern, just different colors (tan, black, and green). and the patches on each hat match the colors of each hat.

and coins are the same way. they're usually of a more personal nature. some of the guys here got some type of coin from when they were in the service or while they were in the service. and those may hold a great deal of sentimental value to the holder. i have 3 coins, but i usually don't carry any of them. none of them are valuable and only 1 holds any real sentimental value for me. and i basically just got them 'cause they were free. they're often referred to as "challenge coins". and, so i don't have to go into a whole lot of detail, here, i'll post the page from wikipedia about challenge coins...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

hopefully this answers some of your questions you have. and, hopefully, others will chime in with their answers and reasons.

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
i think for a lot of us, it's more about "what if..." than "what is".

what if i have to sneeze/blow my nose and i'm somewhere that doesn't have napkins?
what if i have to wipe something off my face/hands and i don't have a paper towel/napkin
what if someone else needs to do any of those?
what if i need to pry something open that has become stuck?
what if i need to open a can of paint/stain or something with a similar lid and i don't happen to have an actual paint can opener or even a decent flat-blade screwdriver (although with most multitools nowadays, you have at least a decent flat-blade screwdriver)?

as far as patches and coins....those are of a more personal nature.

i have several patches on my edc bag (10, to be exact; some standard-sized, some odd-shaped, some small) and each cap i wear has 3 patches on it (1 on the front; 1 on the top, where the button would normally be; and 1 on the back just above the sizing strap). each patch on my bag was chosen for a specific reason. some are funny, some are more serious. the patches on my hats are all the same across all 3 hats. all 3 of my hats are the same style and pattern, just different colors (tan, black, and green). and the patches on each hat match the colors of each hat.

and coins are the same way. they're usually of a more personal nature. some of the guys here got some type of coin from when they were in the service or while they were in the service. and those may hold a great deal of sentimental value to the holder. i have 3 coins, but i usually don't carry any of them. none of them are valuable and only 1 holds any real sentimental value for me. and i basically just got them 'cause they were free. they're often referred to as "challenge coins". and, so i don't have to go into a whole lot of detail, here, i'll post the page from wikipedia about challenge coins...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

hopefully this answers some of your questions you have. and, hopefully, others will chime in with their answers and reasons.
Well said.

WinonaRail

EDC Grand Master
I'll give my perspective on the hanks. I keep a box of Kleenex nearby for blowing my nose. But the hanks get used for wiping my hands, cleaning phone screens, etc. They're just handy to have. If I carried a plain white hank, that's something I would feel comfortable blowing my nose in (and have). It's also a nice backdrop and adds color/texture for photos. In the end, it's just about personal preference.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
If you can't see the importance of a handkerchief, you need to do more research. Do you use napkins/paper towels/kleenex/serviettes, cause if you do, you'll find that the handkerchief can perform these roles beautifully. Ever had one of your kids make a mess at an inopportune time/place? If so, a handkerchief in your back pocket can be a lifesaver.
I use my handkerchief more than my knife or my flashlight, possibly even more than my keys.

Coins and patches are personal and sentimental. I have 2 custom coins and carry one of them always for sentiment. The patches are all gifts received from friends and ride on my bag as there is room for them.

Prybar, not typically, I carry a Leatherman that does all the prying I need

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
I use a handkerchief when hunting but haven't really thought of needing one anywhere else. I guess I Iike to carry as little as possible.

I probably carry too much stuff, but find I use everything I carry daily (with the exception of firearm and trauma kit). I got tired of always going to my bag for certain items, so now the most common used items go on body

Kaibab270

EDC Apprentice
I dont carry a bag, probably prep quite a bit less than many on here and carry only what I consider essential on my person. That's kinda why the question came up in the first place. I dont have a tough room in my pockets for all that stuff.

As far as the personal items, ymmv. I find that I like patches because they express my personality without taking up utilitarian space, much like clothing. As far as other items go, I generally don't carry sentimental items in my pockets, save for a couple of knives that belonged to my dad in special occasions. As for the useful items, my suggestion: if you think you might like to see what the fuss is about, find a cheap version of "item x" and carry it for two weeks. If you find that you use it often, try to incorporate it into your carry, and upgrade as you see necessary. If not, then you haven't sunk a bunch of money into it. To name the two you mentioned, you can get a Leatherman Brewzer and a pack of cheap hanks on the Big River site for less than $10.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Talkatap.

Kaibab270

EDC Apprentice
As far as the personal items, ymmv. I find that I like patches because they express my personality without taking up utilitarian space, much like clothing. As far as other items go, I generally don't carry sentimental items in my pockets, save for a couple of knives that belonged to my dad in special occasions. As for the useful items, my suggestion: if you think you might like to see what the fuss is about, find a cheap version of "item x" and carry it for two weeks. If you find that you use it often, try to incorporate it into your carry, and upgrade as you see necessary. If not, then you haven't sunk a bunch of money into it. To name the two you mentioned, you can get a Leatherman Brewzer and a pack of cheap hanks on the Big River site for less than $10.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Talkatap.
I like that idea. I've been toying with the idea of a new nicer watch but I honestly just started wearing one again a few weeks ago. So maybe I'll wait a little longer and see if the watch stays on my wrist.

I carry a cheap bandana as a handkerchief, specifically a cheap one so I won't be reluctant to blow my nose in it or mop up whatever needs mopping up. If you Google uses for a bandana you'll find several lists people have compiled, including a few "101 uses..." ones.

I carry a PocketWrench as a pry, a spanner, and a hex driver, primarily so I won't be tempted to abuse my other tools by levering with them. It's not carried as a weapon and wouldn't be a very good one.

I don't carry challenge coins and, though I like quite a few of the morale patches, I don't have any on my EDC gear.

All the best with your carry choices.

What is the point/purpose of some of the items you guys are carrying? Particularly coins, patches, prybars and handkerchiefs.
As far as coins go, I've never been a challenge coin person and I tend to not carry change because of not liking noise when I walk. Normal coins can be handy for certain purposes such as parking/library fines and copy machines, etc., but I keep them in my car. Coins can also be used as impromptu screw drivers in some circumstances.

I do have patches on my bags and I like to use them to add a bit of my personality to my gear. The obvious use for them is to mark your gear as yours, especially when you live in an area like mine where not many people have patches on their stuff. If I need my bag or if I want someone to get something from it, I can say, get the bag with the USA flag on it or open the pocket underneath the flag patch. I do occasionally use first aid cross patches to mark the pocket where my FAK is. My one bag has a pair of outside pockets with Velcro below them and I use the patches to help me remember which pocket has which items in it.

Mini prybars are amazingly useful tools. And, since most of them don't have sharp edges, they can be taken into no weapon zones. It's a good way to have a tool that can open boxes or packaging inside a school or other such place. It's also good for keeping your knife from getting dirty, sticky, or damaged. My County Comm mini-prybar usually gets used for removing staples, turning screws, and scraping or moving things that are too gross to touch with fingers, like gum stuck on the ground. I have occasionally used mine for heavier duty prying jobs like opening jammed lockers or the hatch to my crawlspace when it gets stuck closed.

As others have said, a handkerchief is basically a soft multitool. Mine mostly gets used to clean glasses and computer screens as well as serving as a tissue in emergencies. Another common use is to give you better grip when opening bottles. One of my hanks still has a bit of grease on it from when I used it to grab my bike chain so my hands wouldn't get greasy. I've used them to carry small items, including to pick up shattered glass so my fingers wouldn't get cut. They can be used as various kinds of bandages if your first aid kit isn't handy. There's just so many uses for a handkerchief and it takes up so little space in a pocket that there's no reason to not have one.

I didn't see a general discussion section, if there is one I apologize. This was the best guess for a place to ask this.

Now I am not picking at anyone, this is a genuine question. What is the point/purpose of some of the items you guys are carrying? Particularly coins, patches, prybars and handkerchiefs. Do you actually blow your nose into them? I can see a prybar maybe being used once in a blue moon but I'd probably be more inclined to use it as a defensive weapon.

Again, actual interest not poking fun.

I have 2 patches on my pack and i have several coins. 1 was given to me when i was promoted in the service while in ( Port-au-Prince Hatti ) by the secretary of the army, and several other service coins, the other was given to me by my daughter. I collect challenge coins so i always have 1 on me. Sentimental value. Plus they make great conversation pieces when brought out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, I don't see prybars as defensive weapons. But, I live in a place where I normally carry a gun, more than one knife, etc.. IME, anywhere those things aren't legal, most other things that I'd consider as "improvised" weapons aren't legal once used for that purpose anyway.

That being said, I've used them extensively in the past. It really depends on your work/life-style. When I was at a gun shop and occasionally doing quick repairs that didn't necessarily need to get checked into the shop or doing things in ops/receiving. I used a nite-ize doohickey several times a day.

Now that I work from home, I don't carry it. If I need something quickly, I use a screwpop box cutter. Otherwise, I just grab real tools.

I don't carry a hank. I just don't use them enough, but I get why people do. I generally have disposable or more task-specific versions (e.g., an actual trauma kit, individually packaged dude wipes, etc.). Most of the time, my use for a hank would be wiping my nose or my vape device. In either case, I don't want that gunk in my pockets. I'd rather have the mild solvent/soap/whatever on the disposable towel, even if it's more wasteful.

I used to do patches and coins, but my carry has just gotten more minimal than that. I don't really carry anything that isn't functional except for the paracord dude on my keychain. I have in the past, and I Just got sick of it. I don't have any coins that I've actually earned. So, I just don't bother. IMO, they're not really worth the weight.

I fell for everything but go minimum! lolol
SAK , min keyring, slim wallet always. Gshock if time is important, coin only for vets functions (afraid of loss).
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"
Also
"One is none, two is one" re: loss or breaking at a crucial time.
p.s. no hanks, wifey thinks that's gross......