Diy Gun Leather and Leather Stuff

Adahn

EDC Master
@dmak @nolaradio Thank you

The Kennedy Dollar was the first one where I've tried a tricolor sewing. It worked much better on the Italian 5 Lire but I still like it.

I've made another Kennedy for a co-worker who went to Las Vegas this year.
He said until he had it with him he won around $1,200, when he forgot it at the hotel he left his luck in that room ;)

Maybe I can take a shot of that fob later but it's sewn only with a single thread.

Cheers

P.S. I don't have the finished coasters at home but maybe you'd like these ones as well

Victograph

EDC Scholar

Love when I can combine skills I have learned and make my work easier. Needed to organize drive bits and drill bits for time spent building sets.
Picked up a small organizer at LAPG and added a leather drill bit holder to the back.
I can honor what my dad always told me.
Put it back where it belongs you will need it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adahn

EDC Master
Mind telling me (vaguely) how you're doing this? I'm intrigued.
There's not a huge demand in these so I'm not scared the Chinese could steel my (non-existing) profit ;)

I wrote the main things about it on my blog but it's not an extensive making-of.
I hope you enjoy it anyways :)

Victograph

EDC Scholar
Just another question. Love your work. What material is used for the molds off the coins. Epoxy?

Adahn

EDC Master
Just another question. Love your work. What material is used for the molds off the coins. Epoxy?

Thank you. And well, sort of, I think. It's a two-components resin used (with a filler powder) for lasts to make orthopedic insoles called Lupol or Lopol (cheaper, same good).
I tried the epoxy we have on job but that's not taking the contours as nicely as this stuff and it tends to stick better to metal which is not so good in my case ;)

moostapha

EDC Master
There's not a huge demand in these so I'm not scared the Chinese could steel my (non-existing) profit ;)

I wrote the main things about it on my blog but it's not an extensive making-of.
I hope you enjoy it anyways :)
That makes sense. So, it's a resin negative cast which is then clamped with the leather so it squishes similar to the design on the coin.

That's actually about what I guessed. I was just wondering if there was a simpler way (like either a lot of pressure or one of those dropped-weight coin casting things) to do it straight from the coin, but I couldn't figure out how that would actually imprint on the leather that cleanly.

Adahn

EDC Master
That makes sense. So, it's a resin negative cast which is then clamped with the leather so it squishes similar to the design on the coin.

That's actually about what I guessed. I was just wondering if there was a simpler way (like either a lot of pressure or one of those dropped-weight coin casting things) to do it straight from the coin, but I couldn't figure out how that would actually imprint on the leather that cleanly.
The problem is, as you've guessed it right, by using the coin the coins directly you'd get a negative imprint.
I also learned that with most leathers it's not useful to keep it pressed in for a long time, the wet leather is getting ugly from the moisture, a bit like burnt.
You should wipe the leather with a wet cloth and let the water to be sucked in till the surface feels damp but is not shiny anymore.
The under a strong press and see if you picked a good piece or if you can do it again ;)

Adahn

EDC Master
Thank you. Figured it might be cast from the coin. I’m going to have to try this with some things I have. Not coins.

Whatever you do, show the pictures here. It's always great to get new ideas :)
I have an Iron Cross 2nd class from my grandpa and made some casts from it already (and cleaned the black paint off the medal in the process). I'll try to make a leather variant, but maybe I'll only use the "1813" side ;)