Gerber Shard 7-In-1 Keychain Multitool

ozarksphinx

Two Words: One Life
Just received mine in the mail today and tried a few tools on it. Right out of the box, it feels very sturdy and is stated to weigh approximately 0.6 oz. From looking at the size, it feels a tad heavier than it looks. That's not a complaint though since 0.6 oz. is virtually weightless; just an observation. From the picture I posted below, you can see its size compared to my Victorinox SAK Classic along with my daily keys.

Now for a short review on usability:

It's considered a 7-in-1, but from my initial foresight just by looking at it, it's moreso a 6-in-1. Here's why: The mini prybar's "fingers" are also supposed to double up as a mini and regular sized flathead (for each finger). Problem is, they aren't ground flat enough and are basically thick (almost rounded out) stubs to grasp common singlethread-headed screws. So, that leaves us with 6 tools in the end.

These tools are:
-Bottle Opener (my favorite)
-Prybar
-Nail Remover
-Philips Driver
-Wire Stripper
-Lanyard Hole (which Gerber considers a "function" but really isn't)

HOWEVER, to justify that last "function" as well as the lost functionalities of the flathead drivers, there are actually two improvised and logical functions that DO work according to some other reviewers. One is that the bottle opener could also be used as a can opener (!). Another is that the prybar can also be used to open up packing tape on received boxes. Voila! We now officially have a 7-in-1 multitool! Nothing huge since EDC'ers thrive on being creative anyway. But it's something in case you decide on purchasing a cheap ($5 on Amazon) but effective keychain rig.

Sorry this was longer than expected. Just an FYI.

Cheers & Carry On!

Sent from my Samsung Intercept

Attachments

ozarksphinx

Sweeet! Oh, ALSO, I wasn't too worried about the lack of function with the flatheads primarily because my Victorinox Classic has that base covered! ;). Below is a photo of it stonewashed with the stainless steel all apparent. Looks even beastlier! Wish I knew how to stonewash... I'd love it even more with that look. Man...

Attachments

EDCP-MIKE

Administrator
Staff member
Charter Member
Congrats on the new Gerber Shard and thanks for sharing such an awesome review. I can definitely see adding this to my backpack with some paracord.

ozarksphinx

Liberty's Teeth said:
Great review buddy. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.
My pleasure, brother. So far so good with the multitool! I used the prybar to open up a can of paint for a little woodworking job! Already got my money's worth...

TonySal

EDC Master
Just received mine in the mail today and tried a few tools on it. Right out of the box, it feels very sturdy and is stated to weigh approximately 0.6 oz. From looking at the size, it feels a tad heavier than it looks. That's not a complaint though since 0.6 oz. is virtually weightless; just an observation. From the picture I posted below, you can see its size compared to my Victorinox SAK Classic along with my daily keys.

Now for a short review on usability:

It's considered a 7-in-1, but from my initial foresight just by looking at it, it's moreso a 6-in-1. Here's why: The mini prybar's "fingers" are also supposed to double up as a mini and regular sized flathead (for each finger). Problem is, they aren't ground flat enough and are basically thick (almost rounded out) stubs to grasp common singlethread-headed screws. So, that leaves us with 6 tools in the end.

These tools are:
-Bottle Opener (my favorite)
-Prybar
-Nail Remover
-Philips Driver
-Wire Stripper
-Lanyard Hole (which Gerber considers a "function" but really isn't)

HOWEVER, to justify that last "function" as well as the lost functionalities of the flathead drivers, there are actually two improvised and logical functions that DO work according to some other reviewers. One is that the bottle opener could also be used as a can opener (!). Another is that the prybar can also be used to open up packing tape on received boxes. Voila! We now officially have a 7-in-1 multitool! Nothing huge since EDC'ers thrive on being creative anyway. But it's something in case you decide on purchasing a cheap ($5 on Amazon) but effective keychain rig.

Sorry this was longer than expected. Just an FYI.

Cheers & Carry On!

Sent from my Samsung Intercept
...and a lanyard is a "pocket retriever" lol