Handy uses for non intended use items

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
i wanna get some more. but the place where i bought them (local army/navy surplus store) raised their prices on them. they sell them at the gun show that comes to town twice a year. but it seems every time they come, i'm working, lol.

i can get new ones at my local gun shop, but they don't seem as sturdy (metal isn't as heavy-duty) as the old, surplus ones. so the search continues...
I'm fortunate to have a couple surplus stores around that balance the prices. Typically $10 for Vietnam era 30mm and $15 for 50mm

sk33tr

EDC Master
I'm fortunate to have a couple surplus stores around that balance the prices. Typically $10 for Vietnam era 30mm and $15 for 50mm
i got my original ones (30 cal.) for $11/ea. they rarely have the 50s. and when they do, they go quickly. so you pretty much have to be there on the day they get them in. but since it's not a known day (they just get stuff in when they get stuff in...no set day, or anything), it's difficult to do that unless you go in every single day.

off topic: i also picked up my poncho, there. i wanna get another one of those, but those are another rarity, too. and they also go quick when they show up.

charliefox

EDC Master
It might have already have been mentioned, but I keep a roll of non-flavored non-waxed dental floss in my kit. Works great for cordage, sewing emergencies and, of course, getting stuff unstuck from between your teeth.

Water-Rat

EDC Scholar
Paracord bracelets can be used for many things besides being a bracelet and that's not including taking apart the bracelet to use the cord. I often used my bracelet as a prop to make a keyboard with broken off risers sit higher. I have used them many times to connect items. For example, hanging my water bottle or my hat from my belt. They can be used to attach items with loops on the back to a pack with PALS webbing. I have a sunglass case with belt loops on the back mounted vertically on one of my bags with an old paracord bracelet. Also, if you know the length of your bracelet, you can use it as an impromptu ruler.