Hi all, again. Six weeks in...

PitCarver

EDC Scholar
Having found EDC planet, here, as well as a couple other groups on Facebook, I'm not sure if this EDC stuff is for me.

Hear me out.
People say it's a lifestyle and from what I've seen in the last several months, it's a damn expensive one. I live on disability retirement these days and I keep my granddaughter for roughly 60 hours a week, so I have what I call my "PóBoy" EDC.

I've had an EDC rotation in my knives for years, that, I can understand, so don't get me wrong.
I've spent plenty on my knives, over the years but recently I've seen collections of flashlights totalling over $1000.00. My latest flashlight was on sale from Tractor Supply for less than $5.00. It sits on the top of my EDC carry bag so I can use it to light the way from the truck to the back door.
Ok, I looked at the Olight site and must admit that I do have one of their AAA lights in my cart. Still, it's less than $20.00.
I just don't understand.

As for knives, I've accumulated them for many years, if I saw something unique I'd get it. When I started carving I found the CASE Seahorse Whittier, which became the backbone of my collection. Lately, I've taken to carrying a large stockman knife (over 4 inch), CASE 75 pattern, Schrade 858OT even A Rough Rider RR323. In the last couple years I've picked up way too many Victorinox Swiss Army Knives along the way, focusing on Deluxe Tinkers, Spartans, Ramblers, and MiniChamps.
Don't have many fixed blades, mostly Neckers and the rest in the sub 10 inch range.
Guess I have only about a dozen misc folders.

Still my knives are an odd assortment that seem to fit me best.

Pry bars? How many are needed to be considered as having enough? I've got one... Cost me a total of something like a whole dollar.
To be honest, I did have a custom crowbar, handmade by a blacksmith from the mountains of Georgia, just for fun.

I've still got my first Leatherman multitool, an original Super Tool. It's done me well for as long as I've had it. The only other one was a Micra, that I carried for many years. I do have another, a Leatherman Sidekick that stays in the truck, along with an assortment of keychain tools and a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.

Having been in corrections for nearly 18 years and now retired for 20 my favorite ink pen is a cheap aluminum "tactical" pin that can still be used for pressure point control tactics if needed.

I did get an assortment of keychain tools, SwissTech and the like. Plenty of the so-called 10 in 1, 16 in 1, etc.
Some have been very useful over the years too.

What's left?
I have a shoulder bag, similar to a Maxpedition. Have had it for several years, that's still going strong and cost less than $20.00.

Coins? I've got a few dollar sized coins that I'll carry, my usual is a two tailed Morgan.

If I've missed anything, I certainly don't know.

Edit - About forgot WATCHES. Over the years I've gone through Seiko's, a Citizen NaviHawk, Casio and others.
These days I visit my local Walmart and look for a cheap digital/analog watch. Last time I had the batteries (2) changed I told the guy that they actually cost more than the watch.

One thing I can say, so far, is that the community is friendly and accepting like the knife collecting community. (I have been active in several knife groups for over 10 years.)

Thanks for listening...
Guess I'll stick around for a bit, and give up the soapbox, now, as long as my "PóBoy" gear doesn't get me kicked out.

Last edited:

TonySal

EDC Grand Master
I agree sir. I don't think this site-no one is here- is here to sell Benchmades and expensive pry bars...unless that's you.
I got caught up, fortunately not bad, with the latest fad, so I have one of each fad and my original stuff. Funny, I'm a serious minimalist so why am I buying stuff lolol
There is a site EDC that acts as a review but connects to Amazon, they are up front but tempting.
Me, got a few of each item (except SAKs!!) And that's it. Like Willie Nelson said about his beat up guitar- others? You can only play one at a time...
EDC philosophy aside - try us at:
EDCForums - old site also
EDCCommunity- a selection of harmless crazies
And Multitool.org- not just SAKs
There's also All About Pocket Knives (traditional)
Hope to see you at one or all!!
Stay safe during this health crap

TonySal

EDC Grand Master
P.s. I learned the difference;
Attwood prybar 100 bucks, fair price- yes, need one, no.
Sebenza knife 300 bucks, fair price- yes. Need one, no.
Took me a while to get that, don't tell my wife. EDC guys are sworn to the secrecy of their purchases !! ...and its not po boy, its Traditional!

PitCarver

EDC Scholar
Definitely not selling ANYTHING, Tony. Over the years I've given away or traded countless knives but never sold any.
I found the "Review" site...
Been waiting for a couple months to be vetted on the EDC Forum. They also seem to have issues staying on line.
Already on MTO, but have never been able to find EDC Community.
I'm simple. I'm liking it here.

TonySal

EDC Grand Master
That's great - yes the EDC Forum is an old site. Everyone left for the Community when mods got nuts, the site owner got sick.
No, not You selling, the EDC site masks their reviews with links, fun to read but be carefull if you have low sales resistance.
I really like the crew at MTO!

Preacher

Definitely not selling ANYTHING, Tony. Over the years I've given away or traded countless knives but never sold any.
I found the "Review" site...
Been waiting for a couple months to be vetted on the EDC Forum. They also seem to have issues staying on line.
Already on MTO, but have never been able to find EDC Community.
I'm simple. I'm liking it here.
I have been waiting to be vetted over at EDC forum for over a year now. Glad it's not just me.

Tabasco

EDC Apprentice
I have been fairly settled with my stuff for years now. It simply works and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Nothing wrong with contentment. I still love cobbling some Vic products together for various tasks, but my pocket carry hasn't changed in years.
I was on EDCF for its first year or two, you could feel the undercurrent even when JSB was well and running the forum. It's more a testament to consumerism and seemingly endless pocket dump pics than useful info, imo. FaceBook and Reddit have changed the forum audience as well.
I fondly remember the old BBS days of early internet and still prefer the laid back, lower traffic sites.

moostapha

EDC Master
So...this is one of the weird things about all of the online communities dedicated to any "hobby". There's a high-end for everything, and those things become status symbols for people into them, regardless of any practical use.

It happens with literally everything. EDC stuff is actually not that crazy or expensive compared to some. There are people in the audiophile communities that honestly believe expensive power cables can change how a stereo system sounds, despite mounds of scientific evidence that shows they can't unless they're broken, just as an example.

I'm only here from time to time, largely because the forum isn't as active as it was after the EDCF exodus.

I joined EDCF back in the day to figure out a bag that I actually liked, and it kind of snowballed out of control for a while. And I never did find a perfect bag...I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. And what I have is good enough.

But, yeah...I haven't bought new EDC stuff in a while. I've found what I like. Some of it is expensive (glock + surefire + atom slide + aimpoint is almost $2500; one of the knives was hand made by a friend but sells for a couple hundred). Other pieces are bargain basement because they do a thing really well for almost no money.

But, yeah...if you like your stuff, then like your stuff and don't worry about it. If you like the people, stick around the community.

PitCarver

EDC Scholar
And I never did find a perfect bag...I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. And what I have is good enough.
Always aggrevates the boss lady when I buy something and then modify it. My bag is similar to a maxpedition. Came without a haul strap. Cost 20.00 vs maxpedition at 80.00.
So, I add a strap, with scrap webbing and wrap it with some leftover paracord.

But, yeah...if you like your stuff, then like your stuff and don't worry about it. If you like the people, stick around the community.
Yep. I'm quite pleased with my PóBoy gear. Don't have to please anyone but me, right?
Folks are friendly enough, at least here, reckon I'll stick around a bit.

Thanks.

Ben Rubinstein

Apocalypse Ready
Some people are into it for the bling and the pocket jewellery, some have specific needs which require expensive stuff but I think the majority of us are simply looking for a good kit to fit our needs and solve our daily problems. My EDC hasn't changed for a few years pretty much. Once I found what worked for me there simply wasn't any need to buy or use anything else. Helps that I like simple and minimalist.

TonySal

EDC Grand Master
I know, I was into everything I didn't need, fortunately not the big ticket items.
Right now just slim wallet, a SAK, flashlight.
I dont count keyring or phone.
Funny though, my secretary lost her I'd. First time in 30 years. We thought where, others said no impossible. Flashlight helped look and there it was. Better to have and not need it than......

PitCarver

EDC Scholar
Had me one of the nylon tactical type wallets that velcroed shut. Had it for several years till it took missing in 2018. During the time spent replacing my cards and ID and such, I decided to carry one like my grandfather did. Simple, couple pockets and bill compartment.
He had to keep a big rubber band on his to keep it shut. Found one of those silicone bracelets that simply says
Life Happens, for mine, not to close it but as a reminder.
leather bifold wallet.jpg

TonySal

EDC Grand Master
Had me one of the nylon tactical type wallets that velcroed shut. Had it for several years till it took missing in 2018. During the time spent replacing my cards and ID and such, I decided to carry one like my grandfather did. Simple, couple pockets and bill compartment.
He had to keep a big rubber band on his to keep it shut. Found one of those silicone bracelets that simply says
Life Happens, for mine, not to close it but as a reminder. View attachment 8670
Love that fancy work!!