Jackets... What Are You Wearing?

Sharaz_Jek

EDC Grand Master
Since it's winter season I thought I'd start a what are you wearing jacket thread.

Alpha Industries CWU 45... Perfect jacket if you drive for a living. The inside document pocket is perfect for a cell phone and the pockets are cavernous. Not the most warm jacket in the world, though. If it gets below 20ᴼ F / -6ᴼ C I opt for my North Face flight jacket.

dmak

into the wild i go, let fortune assist the daring
Staff member
Global Mod
When it comes to jackets I've become a little snobby. Let me rephrase that, when it comes to EDC, I'm snobby. I've learned that some higher priced items are actually worth it. Currently I have 4 winter jackets and all of them are Arc'Teryx. The first is perfectly and they are truly design for heavy backcountry use while being as light as possible

-Base Layer - Arc'Teryx Fortrez hoodie
-Mid Layer - Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Down Jacket
-City outer layer - Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Jacket
-Mountain Outer Layer - Arc'Teryx Rush Jacket

sk33tr

EDC Master
for winter, i wear the 5.11 aggressor parka. i usually wear only the inner fleece part, unless i'm going to to be outside for an extended period and it's windy, raining/snowing, or both. then, i'll put on the outer layer.

it is pretty dang warm and has 2 LARGE inside pockets where i keep my wallet and fleece cap (left side), and phone (right side). the hand pockets are also large. the hand pockets on the outer shell are big, too, and i keep my cold-weather gloves in there at all times (unless i'm wearing them, of course). it has a stowable hood on the outer shell, but i usually have a fleece cap on so i've never actually used it. i guess if i was out in some driving rain/snow or it was very windy and cold i might take it out to give some protection to the back of my neck. but the collar comes up high enough to offer some good protection against at least the wind. but driving rain/snow i might use the hood for extra protection.

http://www.511tactical.com/aggressor-parka.html

the color i got is tundra (sort of a dark, wooded green). i like the color, but i WISH it came in more than 2 colors. i would've liked to have had it in a dark gray or black (preferable dark gray). but i do like the green.

Sharaz_Jek

EDC Grand Master
When my Condor Softshell wears out I may pick up the 5.11 Aggressor. I've had that Condor one for at least seven years and it's still going strong. My Condor Microfleece has seen better days though.

My North Face flight jacket. Much warmer than the Alpha CWU-45. Sadly, I don't think they make these anymore.

Doubleclaw

Right now, I'm running around in my old Army issued black Polartec fleece jacket that came with my DCU gear during Rapid Fielding Initiative gear issue. It's been one helluva jacket, and has held up very well since I got it in 2004. I'm waiting in a TAD gear Ranger Hoodie LT right now, and if it's a nice as I suspect it will be, it will replace the old Polartec, which will go back in the DCU gear box at the house.

moostapha

EDC Master
Colombia (I think) hoodies, levi's denim jacket, and some other stuff. I'm not that picky about jackets. Because GA never really gets that closed.

I'm waiting patiently for Perseverance Survival to get their black woobie hoodie back in stock, and I'll order one of those. A friend has the woodland version, and it's awesome.

Doubleclaw

It's funny the things that you think of unbidden. I remember reading a long time ago that some German tank crewmen in France were issued leather U-Boat clothing in lieu of tanker coveralls, and an unexpected benefit of this issue was that the clothing was more fire resistant than the cloth coveralls they were supposed to be issued, leading to a higher rate of crew survival.

It's got me thinking of bringing my leather café racer jacket to theater next year. I bought it a size up in order to be able to layer under it, and it's just the right size to fit over my body armor and equipment belt.

sk33tr

EDC Master
It's funny the things that you think of unbidden. I remember reading a long time ago that some German tank crewmen in France were issued leather U-Boat clothing in lieu of tanker coveralls, and an unexpected benefit of this issue was that the clothing was more fire resistant than the cloth coveralls they were supposed to be issued, leading to a higher rate of crew survival.

It's got me thinking of bringing my leather café racer jacket to theater next year. I bought it a size up in order to be able to layer under it, and it's just the right size to fit over my body armor and equipment belt.
i did the same thing with my rain jacket; so i could put it on over anything else i was wearing and it would fit.

GreyLady69

At the moment I tend to wear a grey Helikon Tex fleece jacket when not working.It has a back pocket,two arm pockets and a left forearm pocket ideal for quick access.

Indi66

Great choice, have a Helikon Tex Liberty for temperatures below zero, and a Alpha Grid for spring / autumn. Well made, quality wear for fair price.

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Still rocking my Arc'Teryx combo and couldn't be more pleased. Their stuff fits me so well and it all layers perfectly with one another without getting bulky; definitely some engineering in the designs. I have a Fortrez hoody as my base layer, a Cerium LT down puffy as my mid layer (if it's really cold), a Gamma MX as my urban shell, and a Rush AR shell for the backcountry. This is my second winter with this setup and I've stayed warm and dry and haven't felt like the stay puff marshmallow man

dmak

Staff member
Global Mod
Colombia (I think) hoodies, levi's denim jacket, and some other stuff. I'm not that picky about jackets. Because GA never really gets that closed.

I'm waiting patiently for Perseverance Survival to get their black woobie hoodie back in stock, and I'll order one of those. A friend has the woodland version, and it's awesome.
Black is currently in stock

sk33tr

EDC Master

just took a look at those. i like the looks of them. sure wish they had the woodland in stock; wouldn't mind one in that pattern.

Last edited: